Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 13:49   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Fuel pump replace on a 3YM30

Does anybody have a good suggestion on how to replace a fuel pump. It is literally impossible to get a #10 wrench on the bottom bolt.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 20:03   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If you can't cut off a wrench....try a swivel socket or a crowsfoot.

I am assuming that it is due to the lack of accesibility to that side of the engine.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 20:12   #3
Eternal Member

As an aside....what symptoms lead you to the belief that you have a fuel pump failure?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:50   #4

engine would not run

It was rather obvious. The engine sputtered and died about 15 hours offshore. All filters were replaced and all the lines were checked and tightened. All to no avail. Manually could not get it to prime even when I manually filled the fuel filter.

After a couple of hours in 8 to 10 foot seas, I gave up. Upon getting to an anchorage, I was able to gravity feed into the primary fuel filter and this got me to where my friends were departing from.

Replaced the fuel pump, and it has worked fine. It was an almost impossible task though. Cutting off a wrench did not work because there was no leverage. There is no room for a socket. Crows foot may work but they are not available in Curacao. Finally was able to pry and force the box end of wrench on the bolt using a very long screwdriver.
Old 12-06-2008, 16:21   #5
Eternal Member

Just a thought....I am sure you are aware that if the engine cam that powers the fuel pump is in the wrong postion...the prime lever does nothing....all you have to do is turn the engine over a little bit.
Old 12-06-2008, 16:59   #6

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
how old is this engine
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 03:37   #7

83 hours was all it had on it.
Old 13-06-2008, 19:41   #8

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
It was rather obvious. The engine sputtered and died about 15 hours offshore. All filters were replaced and all the lines were checked and tightened. All to no avail. Manually could not get it to prime even when I manually filled the fuel filter.
I had almost identical symptoms last summer: engine stopped, replacing filters didn't help, manual prime didn't work. The cause turned out to be a bit of crud plugging up the screen at the end of the fuel tank pick-up tube. Obviously not the cause in your case (you say replacing the pump cured the problem), but it could have been.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 03:03   #9

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
So with such low hours, is this unit not under warranty.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 03:38   #10

I have an inspection plate for the fuel tank. I checked the screen and the fuel flow to the Racor filter.

What is warranty when you are out on the ocean. Also in a place like Bonaire there are no authorized service centers and if there were it would take weeks if not months for the place to do anything. The ABC Islands give new meaning to island time. All of that said I have filed a claim and expect to be reimbursed for my costs.
Old 14-06-2008, 07:56   #11

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
How did you get a pump so fast?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 07:58   #12

I figured out the problem on a Friday morning. My wife was coming down on Monday. Mack Boring in NJ shipped it that pm for Sat. delivery. Just living almost right, I guess.
Old 14-06-2008, 08:24   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
It is very dangerous to have a screen on the fuel pickup. Fuel lines should be clear up to the secondary filter. With a screen on the pickup tube, that will be the first thing to clog with ashphaltine. The filter is the thing to do the job of stopping crud from getting to your engine. Imagine having a clogged screen in a seaway. How do you get around that? I know that with dual tanks you can switch tanks, but then you have the job of troubleshooting a not so obvious problem instead of just switching filters and then changing the clogged filter in a sheltered area. I have had personal experience with a clogged fuel line in a seaway and believe me it was not a pleasant experience. Luckily was not a dangerous experience but that was just plain dumb luck. Do yourselves a favor and put in dual switchable filters in your fuel line. Another expense, but IMHO well worth it.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ym30, fuel, fuel pump, yanmar