Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 12:41   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Vetus Gooseneck Crack

I have a Vetus LT 40 plastic Goose neck on my generator. It has developed a small crack (3mm) along a seam and consequently sprayed salt water in my nice dry bilge (and gave me quite a scare).
It is the second one that has developed an almost identical split and this one is only 2 years old.
Has anyone had any success repairing these. I am thinking a hot soldering iron to melt the plastic or some acetone.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 16:07   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
This is the problem with Vetus goosenecks, waterlifts and sea strainers. You will end up buying a new one an reinforcing it before installing. If the cracks/splits on the seams originate where a fitting is screwed in, put a hoseclamp around so it can't split. You can also use some sanding to rough it up plus JB Weld to reinforce it.

For temporary repairs: try a bead of 5200 over the split followed by something to hold it in place (push it onto the split) like hoseclamps, tape etc.

I don't know another manufacturer for the goosenecks so you're probably stuck with those or you would have to redesign that part of the exhaust system.

I also have that "tailpipe repair tape" for cars aboard. It needs heat to cure so this won't be automatic like with a car but a heatgun works too.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote