Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2024, 01:18   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Vetus dual stage water lock muffler

Hi all,

Has anybody fitted one of these?

https://webshop.vetus.com/en/product...ions-10-litres

It looks like it might make my exhaust plumbing very easy (for a price) but it also looks like it might be a nightmare to own if it is not well made.

Matt
Old 19-01-2024, 02:43   #2

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Vetus dual stage water lock muffler

I have used these Vetus water lock mufflers on gen sets as well as main drive engines ,from 2 to 4 inch engine exhaust outlets not over 150 hp ,not cheap but easy to configure ,a bit lightly built for commercial application ,the one on my sons 4108 Perkins has many hrs and is as good as new ,yes they work fine,⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 14:10   #3

Hi Matt, I’ve fitted a few of these and seen no failures or major problems. I’d suggest using a silicone elbow between the mixer elbow and the NLP inlet and use only non slotted hose clamps...... no T bolt super-clamps. You can get the silicone pipe and elbows at your nearest “Supercheap auto” store, they sell em as turbo boost hoses for the hot rodders. The only time I had to re think using an NLP was when the drainback was at the limit of the Aqualock, after shutdown the water level was slightly above the NLP inlet so I installed a second one in series. You don’t actually get that 10 litres of actual drainback because the lock section is partially full when the engine is running, I figure 5- 8 litres but you need to measure the amount of water in the NLP after shutdown to really be sure, it should never be full to the brim.... on ANY aqualock.
I like the NLP because of its versatility but they are expensive.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 17:25   #4

Thanks guys, that’s two votes in favour plus one by PM, so I’ll give it a spin.

It will certainly make the installation tidier.
Old 19-01-2024, 17:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Hi Matt, I’ve fitted a few of these and seen no failures or major problems. I’d suggest using a silicone elbow between the mixer elbow and the NLP inlet and use only non slotted hose clamps...... no T bolt super-clamps. You can get the silicone pipe and elbows at your nearest “Supercheap auto” store, they sell em as turbo boost hoses for the hot rodders. The only time I had to re think using an NLP was when the drainback was at the limit of the Aqualock, after shutdown the water level was slightly above the NLP inlet so I installed a second one in series. You don’t actually get that 10 litres of actual drainback because the lock section is partially full when the engine is running, I figure 5- 8 litres but you need to measure the amount of water in the NLP after shutdown to really be sure, it should never be full to the brim.... on ANY aqualock.
I like the NLP because of its versatility but they are expensive.
Some great tips here, thank you mate. Love the ideas around the silicone hose.

As for drain back… the volumes should be fine, however one of the problems I am facing is that the KP44 was a little notorious for flooding the exhaust system in a following sea. Current plan is to fit a Vetus transom fitting with one of those little flappy things plus I will make a gooseneck in the engine bay that comes right up to the level of the cockpit seating. Fingers crossed.
Old 19-01-2024, 17:32   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380

We are using them in our Lagoon after our repower. They work great and gave us flexibility with the exhaust setup.

Cheyne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230125_122739.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	285441  
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 17:34   #7

Just a word of warning ,check for back pressure after the water trap and goose neck ,back pressure in excess is one of the main causes of early engine failure.⛵️⚓️
Old 19-01-2024, 17:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
We are using them in our Lagoon after our repower. They work great and gave us flexibility with the exhaust setup.

Cheyne
Nice work Cheyne, that looks very tidy and professional.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 17:47   #9

I use these and am happy with them.

There is an issue to be aware of. If you lose cooling water flow into the exhaust elbow, these will melt down very quickly if you blow uncooled diesel exhaust gases through them.

It is a serious matter, and these should always be fitted with and exhaust temp alarm, and/or a water flow alarm. By the time the engine overheats, your exhaust system will be unusable.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2024, 19:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Just a word of warning ,check for back pressure after the water trap and goose neck ,back pressure in excess is one of the main causes of early engine failure.⛵️⚓️
Funny you should mention backpressure.

I’ve just switched from Beta to Nanni. Same Kubota V2203 engine, but Beta asked for a 40 mm exhaust while Nanni wants 60 mm.
Old 19-01-2024, 20:55   #11

Re exhaust size ,Vetus has much information on I D and length ,well worth the read .⚓️⛵️
Old 19-01-2024, 23:51   #12

Just out of my curiosity, why not a Yanmar?
pcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2024, 00:08   #13

Boat: Stuart 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcav View Post
Just out of my curiosity, why not a Yanmar?
I too purchased a Nanni (140) hp to replace a Yanmar.
1, Yanmar parts just ridiculously expensive imho
2, The dealer, Marine Diesel Capalaba, was really helpful with all aspects of a DIY installation, and always there to answer questions. pm me for further details if you wish.
3, Same HP in a slightly smaller package, useful for me as the access through the wheelhouse door is tight.
4, I've had lots of Kubota motors in farm equipment, never had a problem and always had good parts support. eg: I recently went to my local Kubota dealer for parts for a Fischer Panda genset, he cross referenced the engine and was able to supply genuine Kubota parts.
Toccata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
muffler, water