Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2011, 20:58   #1

Boat: O'Day 37 Center Cockpit "Namaste"
Throttle Cable Questions Yanmar 3GM30F

I have a 1995 3GM30F Yanmar with 210 hours in an O'Day 37 c/c. Throttle cable was routed wrong by someone before me (made a sharp uturn in the engine room (box) and it was ready to shred. Replaced it with Teleflex, which is thinner than the original (make unknown, sorry, but thick red cable). Now, the throttle won't hold and springs back to idle. When I set the cable in what seems to be the correct position in the engine control housing, with the set screw tightened against the "collar" just below the cable tip, I get the spring back. I did re-position the set screw setting further up on the narrower part of the cable, and this seemed to work, but I don't feel to comfortable about this. Anybody have any tips? Could the new cable now be too long? thanx, lorenzo
lorenzo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 21:14   #2

Boat: S2 35c
Right here

Teleflex Morse Control Cable Brakes
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 21:36   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Pictures are worth a thousand words. If you could show us, a solution can be worked out.
Old 25-01-2011, 19:42   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Maggie's got it.
When I saw these on mine, I thought it was rather back yard mechanics. I think the logic is the spring on the engine pulls the fuel lever to idle.Should the cable break, the engine will go to idle.

The resistance these clamps create should be close to the throttle levers,"above" a potential break.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 19:49   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
A dumb question

Why doesn't the throttle control lever hold the spring tension? All my controls have tensioning adjustments on them. I would think a properly installed control cable would be invisible to the spring and simply pass all load to the tensioner on the control.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 10:10   #6

Thanks to all. There is a brake in line just back of the throttle (on the engine). I put a small plastic shiv (section of cable tie cut to about an inch) in to help tighten it up, and that worked the first time. It's when I went back to top side to place the upper end in it's correct position that it didn't.

I'll just have to keep playing with it.
Old 26-01-2011, 10:49   #7

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Had similar problem and carefully crimped the end of the sheath at the engine and cured the problem.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 11:20   #8

thanks, I will try that.

lorenzo
Old 26-01-2011, 13:57   #9

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Meanwhile, a small bungee cord will hold the throttle where you want it to be. It worked for me when I had that same problem.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 17:38   #10

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Why doesn't the throttle control lever hold the spring tension? All my controls have tensioning adjustments on them. I would think a properly installed control cable would be invisible to the spring and simply pass all load to the tensioner on the control.
Obviously some throttle controls are made this way; perhaps the cruder way is simpler.

Regardless, it seems to me that the logic to create the resistance at the control end greatly reduces the likelihood of the engine being stuck wide open should the cable break.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 09:22   #11

Concluding thoughts: I did not use the official Teleflex cable brake, but instead found a stainless "donut" shaped thingie (sorry, can't think of the name of it at the moment) that has a set-screw in it. 3 bucks each, not $22.50 for the brake (discount price). I put one at the engine end, one at the throttle end, and gently tightened each until the damn thing worked. I did purchased s/s set screws to replace the plastic ones that came inserted; s/s ones were longer, too. Anyway, I'm now all set and things seem to be working well. Will lubricate and monitor. It it all goes awry, I'll let you know.

lorenzo
Old 18-02-2011, 06:44   #12

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo123 View Post
Concluding thoughts: I did not use the official Teleflex cable brake,
Are we to assume your throttle control does not have an adjustable tensioner built into it? My experience is that 90%+ do.

If I were you, I'd carry a spare throttle cable as you are causing un-normal wear by crimping the sheath to cause friction on the cable.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 11:48   #13

Nothing built-in that I can see. Also had a couple of knowledgable friends who didn't see anything either. The cable brake from Teleflex would do, apparently, unless we are missing something, the same thing as my fix. It seems that this was their intention, and also checked with two yards, who said the same thing.

Have a spare cable, just in case, and will monitor. The original was a Morse cable, so maybe that brand has one.

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, yanmar