Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 09:44   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Tachometer cutting out with Xantrex regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nknowland View Post
Thanks. When the tach kicks off, the batteries are at about 13.0, so ok. And all diagnostics on regulator check out ok. I would like to think I don't have a problem, but, the batteries don't charge while motoring, and NO amount of additional load causes the Tach to come back on.
Ok, your batteries are no where near charged then.....I'm assuming you have standard lead acid, you should see a float of 13.6-.8 but they should hit 14.5-14.8 before dropping down to the 13's. I'm beggining to think your regulator could be bad (something thermal shutting it off maybe).
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:49   #17

Boat: Bayfield 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Normally if the regulator senses a voltage above a certain point it will not turn the alternator back on.

If you check the battery voltage when it turns off, and it's not as high as it should be, there is a chance that your regulator is bad.
Oops. See more below.
nknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Ok, your batteries are no where near charged then.....I'm assuming you have standard lead acid, you should see a float of 13.6-.8 but they should hit 14.5-14.8 before dropping down to the 13's. I'm beggining to think your regulator could be bad (something thermal shutting it off maybe).
When charging, the batteries (wet cell) are at 14.25. Not charging, 13.25,on their own. The engine hrs still count up. New bigger solar panel installed, but even disconnected, the tach still acts the same. Also, turn engine off to sail and then restart, tach does not come back on.

Beginning to think something overheats, but diagnostics on Regulator look good.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:14   #19

Boat: Marples 37

This whole cutting out when not charging seems strange to me since the alternator is still spinning when not producing so shouldn't the tach connection on the alternator be putting out the actual revs of the alt irregardless of electrical output?
CGirvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:56   #20

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGirvan View Post
This whole cutting out when not charging seems strange to me since the alternator is still spinning when not producing so shouldn't the tach connection on the alternator be putting out the actual revs of the alt irregardless of electrical output?

Not without electrical excitement to provide those pulses.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:33   #21

Soooo. We swopped the old Balmor alternator with a spare Delco Remy alternator we had on-board. Battery charging issue appears to resolved, but still no tach as the Delco has no port for the stater wire (unless under the port marked Do Not Remove). Thoughts?????
Old 09-04-2017, 12:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
True. I sailed for 35 years without a tach and never missed it. Problem is, with the Xantrex regulators, when the regulator is not charging not only do you lose your tachometer but the engine hours stop counting. Also, with a cat, if you are running both motors it's nice to keep them at the same revs and this can be hard to hear with both engines running. I have just gotten into the habit of shutting off my solar panels when motoring. Sometimes I even remember to turn them back on when I shut down the engine.
Just hook your engine hour meter to the "hot when on" side of the Key switch.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 13:20   #23

Boat: Valiant 42

Many regulators have a tach terminal to deal with alternators lacking same. Check the book for your regulator.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 13:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Many regulators have a tach terminal to deal with alternators lacking same. Check the book for your regulator.
Thanks. The problem is the Delco alt has an internal regulator. The alt itself has just a grounding lug to the case, a positive terminal, and a plug that says "do not remove".

Tags
regulator