Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 10:16   #1

Boat: Catalina 380
Shared Thru Hull and Strainer

Can the auxiliary engine and generator happily share a single thru hull and water strainer?
Catalina 380 #67
TxCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:28   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Shared Thru Hull and Strainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCoastSailor View Post
Can the auxiliary engine and generator happily share a single thru hull and water strainer?
This topic has been well covered before. The conclusion in general is 'not a great idea' IF: It is possible to starve the engine cooling system if you run the generator or other users under way. You also may want to isolate the engine from the other boat systems while you work on the engine. You may want to isolate the boat systems from the engine while you work on them. You would not want to have to shut down the engine to repair a leak in a boat utility.

Those concepts can be handled by installing a very large single intake and a valved, branching system. This however, increases the length of the intake and adds restrictions to the engine.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:49   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

**No.**
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:03   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Those concepts can be handled by installing a very large single intake and a valved, branching system. This however, increases the length of the intake and adds restrictions to the engine.
AKA sea chest.

But do you ever run the main engine and genset at the same time? I don't. I have separate through-hulls and strainers, as the genset was installed in the original build, but I don't see a thing wrong with using a single through hull for both so long as you never run them at the same time. I literally never do, because I have a 2.5kW alternator on the main engine plus inverter, so as long as the main engine is running, I have abundant power and there would be no reason to start up the genset.

This would be otherwise if you have one of those boats where there's a hydraulic pump on a PTO on the generator, used for very large bowthrusters, windlasses, etc., but my boat doesn't have that.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 20:02   #5

OK, let's put some other options on the table.

I want to add a water maker and don't want to punch another hole in the hull. So three thru hulls and four thirsty machines ... engine, generator, air conditioner water pump and water maker. Who should share an inlet?
Catalina 380 #67
Old 08-03-2015, 20:11   #6

None.
Old 08-03-2015, 20:14   #7

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

We have a Sea-Chest, just like most ships. Advantages are one seacock for the whole boat. Engine, Generator, Domestic Seawater system and fire hydrant pump. There is a strainer, a transparent lid, and every system has it's own valve from the chest.
Disatvantage is that if that breaks off there is a 4" hole in the hull, but there is a 4" bung nearby.
Old 08-03-2015, 21:02   #8

Boat: 55'alloy performance cruiser

It is all very well for Terra Nova to say nope, never, nix, nada etc, but the caviat is how big is the thru-hull and what are the actual volume demands. My two inch thru-hull supplies all my needs for generator, main, watermakers and heads/galley. On my last boat I did the same for 30/ years and never had an issue even with its tiny 1 1/4" valve. It is possible to end up with an inadvertent venturi effect where flow is not always directed to where you want it, but given a large enough opening it is just straight forward math. I agree that in certain installations you could get caught out with everything down in a plugged sea strainer scenario, but I suck my seawater from either side of my keel so the likelihood of that happening are slim indeed.
Greg
Mirar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 21:09   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
OK, let's put some other options on the table.

I want to add a water maker and don't want to punch another hole in the hull. So three thru hulls and four thirsty machines ... engine, generator, air conditioner water pump and water maker. Who should share an inlet?
Dissenting viewport.

I don't consider the generator, AC water pump and water maker to be critical systems I.e. it shouldn't be an issue if any or all of them is down for an hour or two. Therefore let them share a single seacock; just make sure it is a decently sized one.

I often see people state that every item should have their own inlet and then say it's OK to just to have one single big one (sea chest). Yep, I know isn't quite apples and oranges but the concept is the same
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 21:11   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Mirar types faster
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 21:39   #11

Boat: Valiant 42

It mostly depends on where the manifold is and the back pressure (suction). If the manifold is well below the water line it can work so long as the inlet and strainer are large enough. We have 4 water circuits fed by one big through hull and strainer.

One thing to watch out for is air conditioner and fridge cooling circuits. If there is too much negative pressure at the manifold because the through hull is small or strainer is restricted it may allow air to back flow into the system. This will greatly reduce the cooling effectiveness and can lead to some major engine damage.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 22:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
...I don't consider the generator, AC water pump and water maker to be critical systems...
That's no reason to try to kill them prematurely or reduce their efficiency unnecessarily.

And the idea that fewer larger thru-hulls is safer than more smaller thru-hulls doesn't pencil out. If a thru-hull were to fail and allow the sea to enter, would you rather it be a large one or a small one?

A true sea chest, well conceived and put together, is another story.
Old 09-03-2015, 17:03   #13

Thanks to all for your comments and insights.

I am leaning toward having the AC and the water maker share a thru hull. Don't think I will have to run them at the same time.

An alternative is to use the sea water inlet for the head (which we converted to fresh water) for one or the other but I'm not sure I can get a hose from the head inlet to the AC pump or the water maker.

Again thanks for your replies.

TCS
Catalina 380 #67
Old 09-03-2015, 17:27   #14

Quote:
...Don't think I will have to run them at the same time...
Don't be fooled thinking you'll be safe by running one at a time. Some equipment will suck the prime out of a shared load, for example.
Old 09-03-2015, 20:04   #15

TN,

Thanks for the reminder. I believe the AC pump is positive displacement type and should be self priming. Don't have the water maker yet but I will check into that. The thru hull used by the AC pump is quite far below the water line and that should help mitigate this issue.

TCS
Catalina 380 #67

Tags
hull