Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2011, 07:35   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Seized Engine Zinc

Tried WD-40, PBlaster, etc. and cannot get the pencil zinc to turn. Of course, through all my trying, I have managed to wear the corners off the hex top. I assume drilling it out is the only option left, unless someone has a bright idea.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 22-11-2011, 07:51   #2

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Seized engine zinc

Heat is usually the trick...on mine I just filed new sides until I got them out with whatever tool fit my new filed sides.

I have also found the longest leverage arm with slow, medium pressure seems to work better than anything...even if it means a 4 foot pipe and gentle pushing.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 08:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Definitely add heat, plus let the PB Blaster soak for a while.

If you have access to an oxy/acetylene torch with a very fine tip that's your best option. I had a couple of really stuck screws and tried soaking and heating with my hand held propane bottle torch and did not work. Borrowed an oxy/acetylene rig from a friend and it did the job.

The acetylene flame is much hotter and with a fine tip you can focus it on a much smaller spot and get much better effect.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 08:27   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Heat exchanger fittings to recieve the zinc is soldered in on many versions. Careful with the torch.
Old 22-11-2011, 08:37   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

Also after applying the PB blaster give the sides of the offending nut a sharp wrap with a hammer. I don't know why this works but it has worked for me in the past. As far as the rounded nut goes do you have these Bolt Extractors - Screw & Bolt Extractors - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS I don't own Irwin but have used these and find them to be a very good product.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 09:00   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Definitely add heat, plus let the PB Blaster soak for a while.

If you have access to an oxy/acetylene torch with a very fine tip that's your best option. I had a couple of really stuck screws and tried soaking and heating with my hand held propane bottle torch and did not work. Borrowed an oxy/acetylene rig from a friend and it did the job.

The acetylene flame is much hotter and with a fine tip you can focus it on a much smaller spot and get much better effect.
Try the hand held bottle torch with a MAP gas cylinder next time. It burns much hotter. I always keep one aboard. They are cheap too. Look for the yellow cylinder. Heat until spit sizzles off of it and no more. You can over do it with MAP. Plus Aerokroil is better than PB Blaster.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 15:11   #7

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Re: Seized Engine Zinc

If the rounded stub is still protruding sufficiently, you could try a stillson wrench ( pipe wrench?) on it.
Another way is to get a length of flat bar, drill a hole so it slips over the protruding stub, weld the stub to the bar. After it cools, you should have a good chance of moving it.
Finally, a butchers method is to get a slightly undersized socket and hammer it over the stub so it cuts some grooves and locks on, and then try that.
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 16:22   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

The concept behind heating is to make the screw in piece expand and break the oxide when it cools.

The best, and this is probably one of the least likely to be found around a boat yard, is to stud weld a copper pulling stud to the head. Works great everytime, and with the zinc already destroyed there is no need to grind the copper off. Like I said probably not around the yard.
Old 22-11-2011, 16:51   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo View Post
The concept behind heating is to make the screw in piece expand and break the oxide when it cools.
If you heat just the part you are trying to break out, it will expand in the thread and jam up even worse. Heat around the part you are trying to remove to make the substrate expand instead. You are trying to make the hole bigger by a tiny amount, hopefully without doing the same for the fastener to the same degree. Turn it while it's hot, don't wait for it to cool.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:37   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Thanks all for the advice. Heat and a long lever were indeed the key! The surprise was that it was a zinc after all, but a drain plug. I just assumed, since it was not marked in the schematics.

Tags
engine