Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2019, 16:40   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Saildrive Oil Change

I believe that venting is what is helping, however a tank wont hurt.
Just remember it’s the height of the tank that determines pressure, not the volume, so a tank that holds 1 Oz will have the same effect as one that holds 1 Gl.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 10:48   #17
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Hola all,

After selling our Lagoon and purchasing a serious “fixer upper” cat I am in the process of a complete all-systems rebuild/replace. After removing the engines and saildrives for rebuilds, seal/diaphragm replacing, and a bunch of other work I decided to construct an expansion tank system. Here is what I did: after much legwork and searching I was able to source a 316SS hydraulic plug of the same thread type/size as the original yanmar plastic one which then also uses the same size O-ring for its seal. I then drilled a hole in the center and tapped threads to receive a 316SS 1/4 inch hose barb fitting. I found some universal plastic overflow tanks on amazon with 1/4” barb on the bottom and vented cap for around 10-20 bucks each. A piece of 1/4” fuel hose and a couple stainless AWAB clamps to finish her off. The pics are a little dark, I apologize as I had to be my own lighting operator and photographer. I have trouble multi-tasking. Just an option for those considering a similar system. I am sure there are both different and better ways to achieve the same objective. This is just one.

Safe Journeys!!
~Jake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81209614-20CE-46DA-8A6A-564ED151ED4F.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	188816   Click image for larger version

Name:	B73C87E1-812D-4566-9B49-D946973C5C5A.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	188817  

Click image for larger version

Name:	9D47DA9E-EA43-4D3B-A760-C277FA34D67E.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	188818   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBAF5782-8FBD-41F3-9DF1-03A7E0ACE6CC.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	188819  

Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 10:49   #18
cruiser

Oops, I forgot to add that I installed the custom “black sharpie” oil level line indicator to assist me in checking it easily at a glance.
Old 27-03-2019, 11:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwork View Post
Hola all,

After selling our Lagoon and purchasing a serious “fixer upper” cat I am in the process of a complete all-systems rebuild/replace. After removing the engines and saildrives for rebuilds, seal/diaphragm replacing, and a bunch of other work I decided to construct an expansion tank system. Here is what I did: after much legwork and searching I was able to source a 316SS hydraulic plug of the same thread type/size as the original yanmar plastic one which then also uses the same size O-ring for its seal. I then drilled a hole in the center and tapped threads to receive a 316SS 1/4 inch hose barb fitting. I found some universal plastic overflow tanks on amazon with 1/4” barb on the bottom and vented cap for around 10-20 bucks each. A piece of 1/4” fuel hose and a couple stainless AWAB clamps to finish her off. The pics are a little dark, I apologize as I had to be my own lighting operator and photographer. I have trouble multi-tasking. Just an option for those considering a similar system. I am sure there are both different and better ways to achieve the same objective. This is just one.

Safe Journeys!!
~Jake
Thank you! That is exactly what I was thinking.

How has your oil/water situation been since?

Any links to the products you purchased?
svenskflicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 14:30   #20
cruiser

Hola again,

Sorry I should have included these earlier.

The stainless hydraulic plugs are sold on amazon as these:

Joywayus M33x2 Thread Stainless Steel Rods by CNC Hex Head Corrosion Resistant Plugs Pipe Fitting

The tanks I purchased are these from eBay:

Universal Radiator Coolant Reservoir Bottle Overflow Tank Dorman 603-001 New

The hose barb fittings are easily sourced from either amazon or eBay depending on what size threads you desire. I used 3/8” thread and 1/4” barb I believe.

Sorry couldn’t get links to work or I am too stupid to figure it out. Most likely option 2 is correct. If you search the above they will lead you to what I purchased.

The hydraulic plugs are solid stainless and quite thick so drilling them is a a little bit of a chore. I have access to a large metal lathe which made it easier to drill and tap for the threaded hose barb fitting.

Hope that was at least mildly helpful.

Safe Journeys!!
~Jake

Tags
oil, oil change, sail, saildrive