Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2018, 07:35   #31

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Repowering with Beta 50 - misc questions and accessories?

Thanks for the update. The 35 I plan to install requires a minimum 3/4 inch line but I'm thinking about putting in a new 1" thru hull & seacock just to be safe.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:35   #32

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRnglr View Post
I should have spent more time with the (very good) Beta manual before I bought the engine. Had I done that I would have had Beta tap the exhaust elbow for the shaft seal supply. The yard took care of that with a fitting in the raw water outlet downstream of the heat exchanger--it certainly works but isn't as clean.

Still very happy with the Beta. The satisfaction and security of the engine starting 1/2 second after turning the key is a great feeling.
Congratulations on your engine install. I installed a Beta 50 in 2003 and I am still happy with it.

I am a little confused with your remarks about the shaft seal water supply. Why do you want that connected to hot water? Mine, a PSS is just Teed in at the water intake. The boat's movement through the water provides plenty of suction to pull water into the PSS.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 18:47   #33

Boat: Dromor Athena 44

Regarding the shaft seal, Beta specifically says not to take water from the impeller as it would rob the engine of cooling water. Beta would tap the raw water exhaust fitting right where it exits the heat exchanger, there is actually a small flat area for this purpose and a picture of the tap in the manual. I could have removed and taped that fitting myself, but the yard put a fitting in the hose that does the same thing and gets the raw water line higher.

The dripless seal manufacturer PYI says no active flow is needed for less than 12 knots, but that the vent line should be at least 2 feet above the waterline. Obviously if the hose came lose and fell below the waterline it would be a big problem. In my boat to get safely 2 feet above the water line I would have to exit the engine compartment, which I didn’t want to do. I think my current setup works per both manufacturers recommendations...

As I said I wish I had asked Beta to tap the fitting as the install would have been a little cleaner, but by the time I realised it was already fully fixed and so far I don’t see the need to undo everything and tap the fitting myself. If it were to break the new part would cost hundreds of dollars shipped to Singapore...

More generally i found no clear consensus if people put active flow through dripless shaft seals on cruising boats, but if anyone thinks the above is way off base it would be good to hear second opinions.
SpaceRnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 19:18   #34

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRnglr View Post
More generally i found no clear consensus if people put active flow through dripless shaft seals on cruising boats, but if anyone thinks the above is way off base it would be good to hear second opinions.
PYI used to sell the seal without a vent for boats moving at less than 12 knots. The recommendation then was to just burp the seal whenever the boat was splashed to get the air out and then you were good after that. I think PYI simply consolidated/simplified their product line. I don't recall anyone ever having any problems with the unvented seals provided they were installed properly and burped when the boat launched. In short, you could probably get by without the vent altogether.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower