Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2008, 21:41   #1

Repowering questions?

I would like to repower my Westerbeke L-25 with a new Yanmar or similiar diesel. I would like to do most of the work myself but I have never done such an extensive project. I am confident that I can do everything but building the new engine bearers.

Does anybody know what the best way of getting help from a professional to do the engine bearer work for me?
Bombay77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 23:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Twitter and bisted...

I can but wish you luck in finding a well priced punctual professional to do your repower.

I tried and failed.

The task seems overwhelming at first but if you take the time to plan to work safely, sort out the steps, find a sympathetic and helpful engine vendor and take your time to do a proper job it should be possible to do it yourself.

Think of it as a complex Lego set where you have measure everything, write the instruction book and then buy, design, have fabricated or make yourself all the parts.

I probably spent more time scratching my head than actually getting my hands dirty.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 00:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
I probably spent more time scratching my head than actually getting my hands dirty.
I do that a lot.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 00:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Bombay77, where are you located. It may help someone with a suggestion of who to contact.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 04:57   #5

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
It sounds like you haven't quite made up your mind on which engine to replace your Westerbeke with. If your Westerbeke is based on a Kubota engine, I suggest that you replace it with another engine based on a kubota (Beta, Nannie, etc.). That way you can use your old mounting brackets etc. with no modification. Also the new engine will opperate at the same RPMs as your old engine. If you purchase an engine package make sure that the new transmission is the same ratio as your old transmission .... that way you won't have any issues with prop pitch etc. (remember, issues always cost money) If you follow the above mentioned suggestions you could simply disconnect the cables, fuel lines, water hoses, engine mounts, etc. from the old engine yourself. then have someone (if you don't won't to do it yourself) hoist the old engine out of the boat and lower the new engine into the boat. From there you simple reinstall the cables, hoses, engine mounts, exhaust hoses, etc. It really shouldn't require a lot of quidance. Good luck and keep us informed!
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 04:59   #6

Why not replace it with another Westerbeke? Everything will match up then.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:24   #7

The L25 was built on a 20" mount center. All of the new engines in that size range are built on 14.5" centers.
Depending on the inside width of your bearers and condition. You probably don't have to replace them. Can you take a photo of one of them?
Any brand of engine will be able to repower your boat. It all depends on the amount of work you're willing to do. I've for years threatened to put a Mercruiser 7.4L V-8 in a Catalina 27.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:47   #8

Didn't think about that. I guess everything is getting smaller and more efficient. Leave it to the guy that sells/services them to know what is right.

I would love to see a big block in Catalina 27, for sure that would give the macs a run for their money. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
The L25 was built on a 20" mount center. All of the new engines in that size range are built on 14.5" centers.
Depending on the inside width of your bearers and condition. You probably don't have to replace them. Can you take a photo of one of them?
Any brand of engine will be able to repower your boat. It all depends on the amount of work you're willing to do. I've for years threatened to put a Mercruiser 7.4L V-8 in a Catalina 27.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 11:37   #9

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
If you contact Yanmar, they may be able to help you with the modification. They did for a friend of mine. They sent him a drawing with the the demensions of the engine and mounting and suggestions for the modification to his current engine cradle.

In his case, it was just a matter of getting some custom engine mounts.

What kind of boat do you have? (year and model).
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote