Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 07:34   #1

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Repowering - Marshall Islands

A friend of mine who is on Kwajalein sent this message:

"In other sailing news, the engine in Dragon Princess is officially seized. It's a Yanmar YSE12 from 1972, and I'm quite frankly over it. I'm planning to repower with either a remanufactured (preferrably) or new. If you know any good, competent remanufacturers back there, let me know. I'd really like to buy something in the next two weeks, so that I can have it here shortly after I get back from Thailand! It's time to go SAILING!"

She and her husband need a new engine. What would be their best option considering where they are located?

I can imagine shipping could be problematic and costly. Is New Zealand a better option than the US? Has anyone any experience with repowering while in that area of the world that doesnt mind giving advice?

Thanks in advance
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) is about midway between Hawaii and Australia.

According to Noonsite:
Cary and Karen Everts, on the Yacht "Seal" have been there (in Majuro) the longest and can give you a hand with anything needed, including shipping parts in.
Email: yachtseal @ hotmail . com.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:30   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
If it's a sailboat

This is the safest time of the year to sail that area. Another option would be to sail to a place locally (PI ,Taiwan or Hong Kong) that has the industry to manage a re-power easily. They could buy a small generator to keep the batteries up unless they're equipped to handle that. That's what sail boats are all about. Some sailors out there don't even have motors. If it's a matter of getting in/out of port, a tow vehicle could assist.
This is just an option, not to criticize.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
... Another option would be to sail to a place locally (PI ,Taiwan or Hong Kong) ...
Locally?
Marshal Islands?

Marshall Islands - Google Maps

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:49   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Not to be objective but how did they get there in the first place? Or is that how the motor seized? Megellan didn't have a motor.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:14   #6

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
If they're not comfortable traveling without an engine it's probably best if they don't.
Sounds like money isn't the #1 concern.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:39   #7

I would think shipping to the Marshalls from the US would not be a big deal. Here in "nearby" Palau there's great mail, parcel and ship service from California and Hawaii. Mail takes 2-3 days. A container ship from Los Angeles once a week or more, 4 weeks transit. A few hundred dollars for a heavy pallet.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:41   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
lancingmarine will ship pretty much any where.
Welcome to Lancing Marine
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:13   #9

Boat: Leopard 47 owner's version
If they are working on Kwaj, then it is quite likely they can get a deal from the contract carriers which provide/supply the base. Most of Kwaj is run under contract by the US Defense Dept (your tax dollars at play) The PX is another possibility. The KYC (yes!) must also have access to marine equipment.
1ercru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:31   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
169 Kilograms...

A quick search suggests that a Yanmar YSE12 weighs 169 kilograms. Depending on his available skills this could be reduced. Take a few people to lift it though.

The easiest way would be to buy a secondhand YSE12 in good condition and airfreight it to the Marshal Islands. Once there there are probably trucks and willing hands to remove the old engine and to fit the new one.

It might be a good idea to clean the fuel tank, upgrade fuel filters, fuel lines, and to use new exhaust hose and muffler at the same time.

I found a couple of secondhand YSE12's with a few seconds searching so they should be are readily available.

A major freight company like DHL should have no problem delivering. This is their bread and butter. Might not be cheap though.

Repowering with a different engine could throw up myriad of problems not easily solved in the Marshal Islands.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:53   #11

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
Cary Evarts is actually a Beta Marine dealer/agent for the Marshall Islands, scroll to the bottom of this link Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine diesel engines and generators for sailboats, yachts and trawler boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) is about midway between Hawaii and Australia.

According to Noonsite:
Cary and Karen Everts, on the Yacht "Seal" have been there (in Majuro) the longest and can give you a hand with anything needed, including shipping parts in.
Email: yachtseal @ hotmail . com.
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
A friend of mine who is on Kwajalein sent this message:

"In other sailing news, the engine in Dragon Princess is officially seized. It's a Yanmar YSE12 from 1972, and I'm quite frankly over it. I'm planning to repower with either a remanufactured (preferrably) or new. If you know any good, competent remanufacturers back there, let me know. I'd really like to buy something in the next two weeks, so that I can have it here shortly after I get back from Thailand! It's time to go SAILING!"

She and her husband need a new engine. What would be their best option considering where they are located?

I can imagine shipping could be problematic and costly. Is New Zealand a better option than the US? Has anyone any experience with repowering while in that area of the world that doesnt mind giving advice?

Thanks in advance
Having used Brisbane and Cairns Australia for marinised engines,
These can easily be shipped to the Marshalls.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Marshall Islands