Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2015, 14:36   #1

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Repower Perkins 4-108

I have a Perkins on our Slocum 43, 37,000 lb double-ender. Transmission had seawater incursion from a failed oil cooler. Was just going to pull the transmission, rebuild it, and replace, but pulling is more work than I planned and rather intrusive as a liveaboard. Since the engine is leaking oil and has lots of hours, I've decided that we might as well replace the whole engine.

Anybody have experience with the 4-108 replacement that Foley Engines offers?

Not Your Father's 4108! | Foley Engines
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 16:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Repower Perkins 4-108

Foley has been doing engines a long time. I get some parts from them. They have a rear main seal kit that solves most of the 4108 leak problems. It could be changing the rear main seal could solve your oil issues. Mine leaked there until I put in one of Foley's kits.
I know mechanics so do my own overhauls. I have a 1970's 4108 as a generator engine. They can be rebuilt almost forever. They are also cheap on fuel and replacing with another brand could be costly. If you're not putting oil in the water in the exhaust, you could have thousands of hours left on that engine. It all depends on how hard your money comes.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 19:01   #3

Thanks Lepke. Actually, there is a sheen in the water aft, so there may be something in there as well. So yes, Foley's seal might do the trick, but I'm thinking a rebuild would make me ever so much more comfortable given the difficulty in getting the engine in and out of the boat.
Old 27-02-2015, 12:58   #4

Boat: Columbia 34 MkII
Repower Perkins 4-108

I've just had a 4 month long nightmare with Foley. I tried to buy their 4108 alternator. They sent me the wrong one even after asking me if it needed a tach output. Then for a month they told me it would be in "this week". At one point the service manager, Phil said it was shipped and it wasn't. Each of these contacts were initiated by me. Finally I asked for my money back and they agreed. A week later I was told "finance is processing your refund". At that time I put in a claim with my credit card company as they lied so many times. Next thing I know the original part shows up. I called them back and Phil agreed to take it back but my CC rejection lit a fuse. Jay Foley then wrote a lie-filled letter to the credit card company about the chargeback. That forced me to rebut their lies and the credit card company agreed with me and credited me with the fraudulent charge. Be careful with this company. Use a trusted credit card like Amex. Get everything in writing. Document every telephone call. Don't trust them. Their front office and service is incompetant.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Redduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 22:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you have a sheen in the water it could be injectors or rings. If you're pulling the engine because of the trans, I'd overhaul the engine you have. If you have the time and tools, an engine kit is about $600-700. The head might run $500. Less if you get a kit with valves. Not counting pulling the engine, it takes about a half day to strip the engine down. Then you know if you have standard bearings and cylinders.
I've bought from these guys, too:
Perkins 4.108 - Parts4Engines
Here's one include head parts:
https://heavydutykits.com/Perkins-4....aul-Kit-marine

I couldn't get on Foley's site.
You might have to go to Bellingham or Seattle to find someone that does diesel heads. I don't know Anacortes.
I tried to send 2 pdfs of a 4108 service manual, but they're too big. If you'd like them, send me a private message with an email address and I'll send them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4108_kit_1__69672.1416484859.500.659.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	98047  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 23:49   #6
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If you have a sheen in the water it could be injectors or rings. If you're pulling the engine because of the trans, I'd overhaul the engine you have. If you have the time and tools, an engine kit is about $600-700. The head might run $500. Less if you get a kit with valves. Not counting pulling the engine, it takes about a half day to strip the engine down. Then you know if you have standard bearings and cylinders.
I've bought from these guys, too:
Perkins 4.108 - Parts4Engines
Here's one include head parts:
https://heavydutykits.com/Perkins-4....aul-Kit-marine

I couldn't get on Foley's site.
You might have to go to Bellingham or Seattle to find someone that does diesel heads. I don't know Anacortes.
I tried to send 2 pdfs of a 4108 service manual, but they're too big. If you'd like them, send me a private message with an email address and I'll send them.
nice kit
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:26   #7

Thanks for the heads-up Redduke. Very troubling.

Lepke, if I were an engine guy, I would definitely go that route. But I live aboard, have few tools, no garage, and very limited expertise. Thanks for the links!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:13   #8

Boat: F&C 44

I replaced a 4-108 with a Beta 43, no more oil leaks, runs smoother, starts quicker and more power at low RPM. The Beta is 43HP @ 2800RPM while the 4-108 is maybe 35HP @ 3000RPM? Beta will also customize the mounts so it could be a drop in replacement.
Very happy I went that route rather than a rebuild.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:55   #9

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redduke View Post
I've just had a 4 month long nightmare with Foley. I tried to buy their 4108 alternator. They sent me the wrong one even after asking me if it needed a tach output. Then for a month they told me it would be in "this week". At one point the service manager, Phil said it was shipped and it wasn't. Each of these contacts were initiated by me. Finally I asked for my money back and they agreed. A week later I was told "finance is processing your refund". At that time I put in a claim with my credit card company as they lied so many times. Next thing I know the original part shows up. I called them back and Phil agreed to take it back but my CC rejection lit a fuse. Jay Foley then wrote a lie-filled letter to the credit card company about the chargeback. That forced me to rebut their lies and the credit card company agreed with me and credited me with the fraudulent charge. Be careful with this company. Use a trusted credit card like Amex. Get everything in writing. Document every telephone call. Don't trust them. Their front office and service is incompetant.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I had somewhat the same experance with them.. Ordered parts and they never showed up as promissed.. three weeks later I called and was given a load of crap about the parts no being sent.. They said they had other issues to take care of and my order (of over 3K ) was was not a priorty..
did the same thing, called the credit card company. called Foley back and said to drop the order and informed them of the CC cancel.. The guy got really pissed off at what I had done and called me a few choice names...

I ended up finding the oil leak from the broken sending unit up and under the starter.. removed it and installed a plug.. I now pull the oil preasure from under the oil filter..........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:09   #10

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

By the way, If you are thinking of replacing the 4-108 with something else..
We did have that idea after looking at some of the newer motors but after some research, we found that only about 7% of all the 4-108s were used in the marine industry and the others can be found around the world doing labor from running pumps to small truck motors..
We opted to keep ours thinking it would be easier to repair if needed in about any place we traveled..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:15   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Mycroft--Stay away from Foley. Far, far away. Too many issues to enumerate and too many folks that have been taken.

While repowering is an option, the 4-108 is a very sturdy, reliable, engine used in Boats, Trucks, Tractors, Generators, pumps et al. It is not uncommon to see them going strong with 20K hours on the clock. If there is a good farm tractor service company anywhere near you, they should be able to rebuild your engine for under $5K including rebuilding the injection pump. A Tractor supply will be just or more reliable than a marine mechanic and 90% of the time, much less costly.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:22   #12

Thanks everyone for your input. Especially regarding Foley. It's too bad, I really liked the look of their package. :-(

Tags
perkins, repower