Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2010, 09:42   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Generator and Engine off of the same filters

Page 1.pdf

Page 2.pdf

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 09:43   #17

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Charlie, so long as your lift pump is sucking through the racor, there probably won't be a problem. I don't think iether will suck the other dry unless there is a leak in the system. Depending on feed line size, there is the possibility that when they both are running at the same time the injector pumps might not be getting the recomended fuel presure but I strongly doubt it. (Think many tractors with no lift pump at all, just gravity feed to the IP). Racors (paper ellement style) are meant to be sucked through though, not pushed through, in order to seal.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 09:49   #18

Thanks Conrad G The Racors would be sucked thru. I don't see a time when they would be running at the same time but it is better to be ready for it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 26-02-2010, 09:56   #19

I believe, Charlie, that both your Kabota and your yanmar use piston style IPs so it is vertuallu impossible (unless the IPs are toast) to suck any air through them. That said, installing ball valves can make changing filters or working on lines much easier and can also isolate one of your two systems should one have problems. I would consider at least one more that your drawing shows (if I read it right.).
Old 26-02-2010, 09:59   #20

I didn't even think of the changing filters part. Makes sense. I'll put a ball valve to each line.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 26-02-2010, 10:06   #21

They are cheap at the hardware store. Put one at each line and one at each filter. Perhaps even on each side of each filter depending on setup and space....Keeps the mess to a minimum and greatly eases bleeding, sometimes eliminating the need all together if you can fill the filters or their housing with clean fuel from a jug.
Old 26-02-2010, 12:14   #22

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
A while back I stopped in at British marine to pick up a couple parts for my perkins 4-108 and got to talking about the motor.. He informed me that the 4-108 is a tractor motor and only 7% of the motors were put in the marine industry.. So a week or so ago I went to the local tractor company and sure-enough... there sets a number of perkins motors on pallets ready for work as stationary water pumps for farm use...
So I got to thinking..time to build that duel filter system I've wanted for years now but have avoided because of the price.. (Racors is over $1000.00 for the system)
so I ask the guy at the tractor parts store about filters, and valves.. and he sets me up with two large filters with water block Elements, all the hardware and beleve this.. I walked out for less than $200.00 dollars for all equeptment to set up the duel filter system..
And My whole thinking was, If they can put a tractor motor in my boat, why cant I put a tractor filter in there also..........
And as you can see, its about 10 inches tall with an element about 5 inches tall...
And here is one that has ran 9000 gal of fuel through it in the last 2 years with out a filter change or a bowl cleaning/draining.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank Filter.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	13550  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 12:22   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate every ones feedback.
Regarding dual filters, the Racor dual systems are very expensive. It seems a lot for a bit of pluming. what is the consensus regarding rigging up some ball valves between the main engine filter and the generator? Too complicated with too many spots for air leaks? Or a good idea?

Can anyone recommend a better vacuum gauge than the one that replaces the T on the Racor
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 12:54   #24

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
I added a large Donaldson filter as a prefilter to my Racor500 this winter. I got the filter head and filter at the local big truck supply shop. Pretty cheap really and readily available. The filter is a water separating 25 micron element with a drain. The Racor has a 10 micron element. Time will tell how it works out but the stock Yanmar seems very inadequate.
Best regards,
Shoalcove
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 13:04   #25

The only problems I have had with ball valves is when I forget to open one.

Racor, again, seems to think their gages are special. So long as you are alright with reading it when the engine is running, a T and a gage from the autoparts store )or from online) will tell the story. The liquid filled gages jump less at each (pull) but are un nescessary and cost more. But I guess it depends on what you mean by "better".
Old 26-02-2010, 14:04   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradG View Post
But I guess it depends on what you mean by "better".
Thanks for your comments. In my instalation the standard Racor vertical gauge on top of the filter will be harder to read than one mounted horizontally. A bigger gauge would also help and cheaper would not hurt.
Is any vacuum gague OK for this sort of application.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 14:34   #27

The vacuum wants to be read upstream of the filter (tank side), of course, and you can plug the T handle or use their regular one, or put a fitting in it. But I prefer to just use a T in the line away from the filter. It just uncomplicates changing the filter. Anyway, you can run a line from the T to wherever you want the gage. The regular vacuum gages off the shelf at the autoparts store have worked for me. Have used one without fail for over 100K miles on my fuel system in my international truck. They use a small hose and you can run it wherever you like (mine to the dash). IF there was ever a problem with the gage failing and sucking air you could just plug the line with a nail/screw/clamp.
Old 07-01-2012, 14:54   #28

Re: Racor Filter

I just found out that both my Racors are leaking, letting air in the system. The culprit is the drain screw, it will not seal on either one. I've changed out the filters in the past two years twice, once a year and have been having to bleed the system if the engine is not started at least every other day. After a closer look at the bowel and blowing on the bleed screw on both, they will not seal, now I know where the air is entering, and going to call Racor Monday and see what their reply will be. So just a heads up on the elusive air leak for the R-12-S model they have a problem. I've not searched the site yet however I'll venture to say that this has been and will continue to be a problem until Racor comes up with a solution. This has been driving me crazy for months as the entire system including the engine is all brand new. I hope this helps others as to not pull your hair out trying to eliminate what it could be, I've found it with mine. On a side note, I had the fuel polished after the engine install just to be sure all is well in the fuel department and it was clean as new....
Respectfully: Rollo H
Rolloh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor