Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 05:16   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Racor 500MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
A diesel mechanic once told me you could top off your filters with mineral spirits. The advantage being that it doesn't have as strong a smell as diesel and you can buy it in small quantities. I've never had the courage to try it. Has anyone else heard of doing this?
I have even heard of people using straight fuel injector cleaner, and even transmission fluid. none of it destroyed the motor, but I won't do it, it's unfiltered when you do it that way, fluid flows from the outside of a filter to the inside then out. Yes there is a final filter, but I still think it bad practice, I just pump the filter full with the wobble arm on the engine mechanical pump, only takes a minute.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 10:13   #32

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

The PO, who I am thankful for often had installed in line high quality electric pumps so to fill the Racor I install the new filter and hit the switch until the fuel is almost level with the top, put the lid on and tighten it down. Never needs priming and air removal.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-06-2017, 17:45   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

I see that many posters seem to think that "topping off" the filter assembly is not required. They are correct, only to a point. When the filter is removed the fuel level in the chamber is not likely to fall below the inlet and outlet plumbing, so a bleed is not likely. However, when you re install a new filter, the fuel level will not rise fully back to the top, leaving a good portion of the filter dry and above the ambient fuel level. Spin on the top and yes, the engine will run but there is now a vacant airspace ( airlock ) at the top of the filter which is effectively doing nothing. As in it is not filtering any fuel. So by not topping it off, you have effectively reduced the the size of your filter and will likely have to change it more often.

As far as permanently installing outboard squeeze bulbs in your fuel line as a means to prime a filter, baaaad idea and totally not accepted by ABYC.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 18:41   #34

Boat: Yankee 30'

I have installed on several sailboats including my own, a Racor 500 and an electric pump contraption with a bunch of valves, that make it easier to bleed a fuel system, "polish" fuel, pick up and dispense fuel from and to a jug via the filter and something that addresses the problem with air in top of the filter. I tapped 1/8"NPT hole into the lid and used a compact right angle barb fitting connected via hose and valve to the intake of the fuel pump. Now I just close the exit from the fuel filter (yes, another valve), open the top valve and turn on the pump. In few seconds, no more bubbles and the sound of the pump changes, signalling the Racor is topped up. Then I return the valves to their "run" positions.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 18:49   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.antea View Post
I have installed on several sailboats including my own, a Racor 500 and an electric pump contraption with a bunch of valves, that make it easier to bleed a fuel system, "polish" fuel, pick up and dispense fuel from and to a jug via the filter and something that addresses the problem with air in top of the filter. I tapped 1/8"NPT hole into the lid and used a compact right angle barb fitting connected via hose and valve to the intake of the fuel pump. Now I just close the exit from the fuel filter (yes, another valve), open the top valve and turn on the pump. In few seconds, no more bubbles and the sound of the pump changes, signalling the Racor is topped up. Then I return the valves to their "run" positions.

Where does the air from the top of the filter go when you use the pump to recirculate the fuel?
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 20:49   #36

Boat: Yankee 30'

The air, and some unfiltered fuel goes into the return line and into the tank. Same as when you fill tank from a jug or recirculate, aka polish.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:39   #37

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv.antea View Post
The air, and some unfiltered fuel goes into the return line and into the tank. Same as when you fill tank from a jug or recirculate, aka polish.
From post 34 : I tapped 1/8"NPT hole into the lid and used a compact right angle barb fitting connected via hose and valve to the intake of the fuel pump.

Could you please describe where the connection returning back to the tank is picked up.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
racor