Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2012, 03:26   #1

Boat: Aluminium 44' cutter-ketch
Perkins Prima-50 HeatExchanger

Perkins Prima 50. Removal of Heat Exchanger cylinder for routine cleaning.

My question: Is it possible to withdraw and completely remove the cylinder from the rear of the heat exchanger.

It appears to me that the preferred option may be to withdraw the cylinder assembly from the front access port on the exchanger. Unfortunately I have insufficient space forward of my engine to allow the cylinder to be fully withdrawn to allow complete removal for cleaning. Fortunately I have adequate access to remove both the front and rear rubber housings and the clamps that secure the cylinder in the exchanger.

Ássistance form members is appreciated.

Notes. The diagram from the owners manual is attached for reference. Please ignore the red arrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perkins_Prima M50.jpg
Views:	1518
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	42854  
Jaden44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 11:27   #2

Re: Perkins Prima-50 HeatExchanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden44
Hello ANNK,
I see you answered positively in an earlier post about about your Perkins Prima_50 engine. Hopefully you can answer my question that I posted in Cruisers Forum a few days ago, and although I can see 70 people have viewed my post, no one has responded.

Ref Prima_50 Heat Exchanger - Routine maintenance and cleaning:
It appears to me that the heat exchanger tube assembly is designed to be withdrawn from the front of the body of the heat exchanger. I have insufficient clearance in front of my engine to fully withdraw the cylinder/tube assembly.

My question: Can the cylinder/tube assembly also be withdrawn from the rear of the heat exchanger after removing the rubber covers and retaining clips ???

Your assistance is appreciated.
Forum member Jaden44

Sorry for the delay in response we have been at sea for the last few weeks, USA to Bermuda to Azores where we are currently. I hope this info is not too late to be of use!

The workshop manual section 21a-13 says that you can press the tube stack out through either end of the heat exchanger but you have to ensure the sleeve A1 is removed from the body. the trick in reassembly is to make sure that the sleeve A1 is properly located and the trick here is to use nominal 2" bore plastic downpipe with a saw cut along the length of the pipe to push the sleeve A1 (part no 3381R003) in place as you reinsert the tube stack. As you will see from diagram B in the workshop manual this(sleeve A1) can be fitted either way round, use a little soap! But do not pull back on the tube bundle as you install it or you will pull out the seal!
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 05:45   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I am not sure if you have handled this already but I will give you my advise. The prima 50 heat exchanger was manufactured in 2 different sizes. The earlier engines came with a tube that was 2 inchs in diameter and after around 1995 they swiched to a 2 1/8 diameter tube. Both tubes will work in ether engine but the sleeve is differnt for the heat exchanger depending on the one you have. The larger one is made of ruber while the smaller diameter one is hard plastic. If you have the larger one made of rubber, when you remove the heat exchager it will more than likely fall apart and need to be replaced with a new one. The smaller hard plastic one will probably be intact but make it very difficult to remove the heat exchanger from the rear. You may have to push the heat exchanger forward fair enough to get the plastic sleeve off then remove the heat exchanger from the rear if that is your only option. The other option if you do not have enough clearance forward or aft is to remove the whole manifold then remove the heat exchanger. I hope this helps. I have worked on a lot of these engines and they are prone to over heating if the heat exhanger is dirty, of course you can do a fairly good job of cleaning the exchanger with it in the engine by running a small rod through the tubes with the ruber caps off, and then using a good antifreeze flush and flush the engine multiple times with clean water. Pay close attention to the ends of the heat exchanger, where the sodder holds the small tubes in place. Once these sodder joints fail, you have to replace the whole heat exchanger, which if you need one buy from Orcamarrine.com for a new one for less then half the cost of a new one from Perkins.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 07:10   #4

Boat: Aluminium 44' cutter-ketch

Thanks!! My special thanks to both Annk and Rocketman for the time taken to draft and send their very detailed and informative replies. I was unaware that two different diameter heat exchanger tubes existed for the Prima-50. The disassembly, cleaning and refitting instructions are very much appreciated.

I now feel much more confident to strip and clean the heat exchanger. Description of part number for the sleeve, and suggested supplier for the sleeveis also appreciated. Details of the special installation tool was a cost saver bonus.

Thread closed!!!
Jaden44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 09:25   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Glad to help, I had to learn the hard way, broken down in Key West, Florida, but still had a good time.
Cheers
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 09:34   #6

FYI ... The perkins prima M50 was also known as the Volvo MD22 ... just in case you are looking for more information or sources of parts or another term to google.
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins