Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 20:37   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
You would have to ask the PO what his rationalization was. It doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps he felt it was easier to just stock one kind of filter element?

A Raycor type filter with a vacuum gauge that records the highest reading is the best (IMO) and seems to be the standard approach. It not only filters but also separates out water from the fuel. The glass in the bottom of the filter lets you see if you have water in the filter bowl and it is easy to drain. You also get a visual check of the filter element and can see if it is getting dirty. The vacuum gauge lets you know without a doubt if the filter element needs changing. They can be set up with dual filters so that you can switch filters in a seaway if one should plug up at the wrong time. All pluses as far as I'm concerned.

Ah, okay Stillraining, I was only thinking of the turbine series.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 20:45   #17

G'day Billwa,
THe cav filter closest to the tank and uses a cannister type element is a primary filter with out element just a alloy bowl this a water trap,You can fit a outboard type priming bulb prior to all filters this aids fast &easy priming.The lift pump has mesh filter screen under top cover,the secondary fuel fiter is in line between lift pump & hp fuel pump [perkins] yes they can be moved using a good quality FUEL line double glamped & secured to stop any fibiration. We similare installation in pleasure boat all a the time.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 20:57   #18

Boat: Boro
For those who wonder about all the dumb questions. We are in the middle of a mining boom where I am, and anybody who can work on a diesel motor works on the mines.

After the last service my motor, the local boat mechanic said he was bringing in a rule not to work on any motor more than 10 years old.

So here I am.
billwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 21:02   #19

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwa View Post
Like I said, my engine has 2 CAV type filter, no RACOR type filter....

What is the difference? What is the purpose of having the two.
Parinoia......Just kidding!.............sort of.

But for US bought fuel it really is over kill...IMO

OK...some basics.... some filters are designed for suction some for pressure....even the pressure ones can work in suction...I have a CAV with a standard pressure spin on canister fuel oil/ water separator mounted on the suction side of my Ski Boat...it works great...but the lift is only 1 foot.

The Turbine series Racor filters come equipped with vacuum gages and that's how you monitor when a filter change is needed....suction is a lot weaker then pressure but it filters larger contaminates better as its not trying to force them through the filter under pressure but allows a gentler settling and less disturbance of those contaminants to the bottom of the filter bowl...the suction gauge is the only accurate way of really monitoring a filters performance.

You will find lots of threads on various forms talking about the importance of clean fuel and different systems developed to make sure of that...If you have ever had a bad experience with contaminated fuel you will be more concerned about it then those that have not....I fall in to the latter category.....That may change over time and certainly has more chances when taking on fuel in third world countries...I have burned literly 10's of thousands of gallons of diesel with no issues whatsoever...but precious little of that in boats..

Im still learning everyday so take what I have to say any way you want...and Im not above being corected or re-learning something I have had wrong all my life either..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 21:22   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Steel Fuel lines should never....ever be bent.....period.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 21:54   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Steel Fuel lines should never....ever be bent.....period.

Hmmm?....................OK.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/...ing/index.html

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 01-08-2010, 23:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
The electric fuel pump should be between the Raycor (secondary) and CAV (primary) filters. The Raycor filter is designed to operate on the vacuum side of the pump.
Any tips on getting the right electronic fuel pump, or just your stock standard pump from auto shop.

Is overpressure a problem? Any other traps I should know about?
Old 02-08-2010, 02:19   #23

G'day Billwa,
Where is your fuel tank situated in relationship to the engines lift pump ie,positive or negative head also supply line length, most auto type electric pumps require a flooded head and cost roughley double the price of oem pump.Are you in WA or QLD?
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:58   #24
Eternal Member

Once they are installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
You are asking for trouble DAMHIK
Old 02-08-2010, 20:24   #25

Going to the boat this weekend and will try to knock this problem over. Here is my plan.

Replace the current CAV housing.

Re-route the fuel return line from the top of the injectors. "T" this into the fuel pump return line. Use flexible rubber hose clamped over the current metal lines. This will allow me unobstructed access to do the filter change.

Try to get a better seal on the remaining two metal fuel lines into the CAV filter. To get a better seal, is it a matter of just nipping these up tighter, or will these fittings have a washer that needs replacing? These fittings are a nut with a hole drilled through it, with the metal pipe having a flared end - I cant see any washer or thread tape to make the seal. Maybe I could use Araldite?

Maybe : remove manual lift pump and replace with electric. I like this idea cause I can blead the air without cranking the engine too much. I do have concerns over the fact that the "manual" lift pump has a fuel return line, wheras the electric ones I have seen do not. Where does the excess fuel go?

Also, for those who asked -

I live in Western Aust.

The tank is located about 15cm above the engine.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51   #26

Quote:
Going to the boat this weekend and will try to knock this problem over. Here is my plan.

Replace the current CAV housing.

Re-route the fuel return line from the top of the injectors. "T" this into the fuel pump return line. Use flexible rubber hose clamped over the current metal lines. This will allow me unobstructed access to do the filter change.

Try to get a better seal on the remaining two metal fuel lines into the CAV filter. To get a better seal, is it a matter of just nipping these up tighter, or will these fittings have a washer that needs replacing? These fittings are a nut with a hole drilled through it, with the metal pipe having a flared end - I cant see any washer or thread tape to make the seal. Maybe I could use Araldite?

Maybe : remove manual lift pump and replace with electric. I like this idea cause I can blead the air without cranking the engine too much. I do have concerns over the fact that the "manual" lift pump has a fuel return line, wheras the electric ones I have seen do not. Where does the excess fuel go?

Also, for those who asked -

I live in Western Aust.

The tank is located about 15cm above the engine.
Some answers:

1) There will be no washers in flared fittings...a proper void free flair is the seal.
2) It is OK to put come Teflon tape on the fittings threads to help but should not be "required"
3) Electric pumps are a flow through design and only supply about 3 to 7 psi depending on model...they are designed to either pressure up and stop pumping or internally slip for continuous running pressured up...there is no need for a return line unless you are rigged/plumbed up for fuel polishing.

FWIW Flow through design also allows fuel to be drawn through most electric pumps regardless if its running or not...I can run my engine without the electric pump running....and I don't have a mechanical lift...go figure?

Old 03-08-2010, 16:21   #27
Eternal Member

Talking That's not a mechanic

That's a parts changer.....Jiffy Lube

Quote:

After the last service my motor, the local boat mechanic said he was bringing in a rule not to work on any motor more than 10 years old.

So here I am.
Old 03-08-2010, 17:44   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
That's a parts changer.....Jiffy Lube
To be fair, I think the guy has more work than he can handle, and the apprentices he gets are a little "frustrating".
Old 03-08-2010, 19:30   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Make sure the flexible lines you use are rated for diesel fuel systems.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 19:46   #30
Eternal Member

I have yet been able to find a good apprentice......

I'm no wizard or sorcerer....although some of my customers say I am.......

It is dangerous to let that stuff go to your head because sure as shootin...it will come back and bite you in the..........................

elbow.

Tags
fuel