Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32   #1

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
Question Perama / Perkins with No Fuel Return?

Hi, the engine for my genset is a Perkins 103-07, which is evidently the same/similar to the Perama M20. I can see a small fuel leak coming from what appears to be a fuel return pipe that runs between the injectors, but at the end of the pipe there is no tubing that runs back to the fuel filter as on my main engine, nor is there any fuel coming out of the end of the pipe.

Is anyone out there familiar with a diesel that doesn't have a fuel return? The two mechanically inclined people I've talked to don't think it's a big deal. What is the purpose of the pipe that runs between the injectors?

I assume to fix the fuel leak I need to remove all the high pressure piping, replace with new washers, and bleed. Should be fun since I know the genset hasn't had any maintenance in a few years and is shoehorned under the cockpit. Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks, Chris
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:28   #2

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
Did you trace the line back at the other end? Return oil is bound to collect somewhere (near the injection pump which may have its own return?) and return to your tank.
If it is the return leaking I see no point in removing the high pressure piping
All injectors leak a little (not all the fuel is squirted in the engine); that leakage needs to be returned to the tank. Any leaking in the return will not effect you engine directly but is messy and environmentally bad.
Old 04-03-2010, 14:07   #3

One end starts at a banjo bolt on injector #1. There is a banjo around injector #2, and also around injector #3. From injector #3 there is about 1 inch of pipe ending in a formed olive where I would expect the return hose to be clamped, but there is no return hose and no fuel coming out of the end! The leak is around the banjo for #3, I just got the engine cleaned up and now after running it a few hours I can see the engine getting shiny and wipe away fuel from the area. I would like to keep the diesel spillage and mess down to a minimum!
Old 04-03-2010, 15:40   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Don't worry about not seeing fuel come out of it ..Its not like it will run steady ..It is a relief system for the IP

Throttle up to imitate a full load and watching the end of the return line come back to an idle as fast as you can...you might see some fuel come out of it then as the IP ramps down to governed speed.

There should be a line connected to it though ...but Ive seen weirder things on boats.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 17:08   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
FWIW...Thoes bango bolts require a 1 time use crush washer...if some one loosened them its posibal not to get a seal again...could be where your leak is coming from...same goes for the injectors.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:29   #6

Thumbs up Leaking Solved

after a bunch more cleaning around the injectors, and buying new washers (which I now get to keep as spares), I determined that the fuel is indeed coming out of the end of the fuel rail, even though tech support told me they did make this model with a blanked end. I have added a drain hose to the end of the rail, and have collected about one-half ounce of fuel in my subsequent running, about ten hours. Not the most fuel efficient, as right now it's just collecting in a plastic bottle along with the crankcase blowby, but at least it's not running down the engine and into the bilge anymore!

Tags
fuel, perama