Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 13:58   #1

Perkins 4-108 Stop Solenoid

Hi all- anyone know where I can get a stop solenoid for my 1986 Perkins 4-108. The one I have (not original equipment) has no usable brand or part number on it. Maybe yours does?

My Perkins parts dealer had no luck but, like I said, this probably isn't even a Perkins part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel shut off - top.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	38199  
mjones782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 14:03   #2

Boat: Endeavour, 40
Re: Perkins 4-108 stop solenoid

Call Trans Atlantic Diesel in Va. They are the best!Phone and Fax:
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (ET) Mon. through Fri.
Engine/Parts National Watts Order Line: 800-927-9295TEL: (804) 642-9295FAX: (804) 642-0340
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:10   #3

Re: Perkins 4-108 stop solenoid

Should be part 15-3 on this catalog site: (paste the whole thing in your browser)

Torresen Marine

Jack
Waterjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 21:27   #4

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue
Re: Perkins 4-108 Stop Solenoid

I'm in the process of repowering my boat with a Perkins 4.108 and have come across the same issue. My engine did not come with a stop solenoid. I called Trans Atlantic Diesel and was quoted $250 for the solenoid. Drake Controls manufactures a solenoid with the identical specs for $124 + shipping. I ordered one and it was perfect. Here is the contact information:

Drake Controls West
7050 Village Dr
Suite A
Buena Park, CA 90621
909-599-9000 PH
714-562-1077 fax

I attached the installation sheet, which includes all of the specs.

Installation Sheet.pdf
Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:05   #5

Boat: 38 Down Easter

First, let me say that I can see that this was a while back. So, for anyone seeing this, my question is simple.

I have just purchased a perkins 4108. Many of the needed parts were not with the engine. I am refitting this to replace my perkins 103-10. One of the things that I do not have is the stop solenoid. I called TAD and was told that they have one that would fit it. However, by reading this thread I am way confused. The lady there didn't give me a part that costs anything like what is mentioned here. Also, the westerbeak part that crosses over is also only 35$..ish...

What should I be looking for. Oh, btw, none of them look anything like the picture here.... just saying...
atraitees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 14:31   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when my yannie one failed i ceased its installation and need by having my engine stop by idling way down. no switch to replace. works on my perkins 4-108 also.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 15:18   #7

Boat: Irwin sloop

I've got one of the rotary solonoids with the arm and bracket around here somewhere. If it's the type you need I'll try and locate it. I've got an injector pump and a starter too.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 15:52   #8

Zeehag; Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the solenoid on my 103-10 is attached to the starter. The one I need attaches to the wall.

Jesse; Please let me know. What other parts might you have, I am in the market for putting together a cruising kit. We plan on going wherever the winds take us!
Old 01-05-2013, 16:05   #9
Eternal Member

When in the BVI some 15 years ago I needed a stop solenoid for my Perkins 4-108. I got the replacement part OK for an exhorbitent price but, guess what? The mounting flange was not identical to the old one.

So, at a further exhorbitent price, I had it machined to fit.

Guess what? It didn't have enough oomph to stop the engine.

So, I took a white wire coat hanger, hooked it thru the stop lever, and brought it back to just above the exhaust pipe and put a loop in it so I could pull it.

It has worked flawlessly for 15 years!!

Somebody gave me a new s/s pull cable this year which I might fit to my stop arrangement. If I get the urge. But, I'm loathe to mess with a simple and "perfect" solution which has worked fine all these years :-)

Here it is, hanging from a nylon string.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0261.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	60252

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 16:32   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
When in the BVI some 15 years ago I needed a stop solenoid for my Perkins 4-108. I got the replacement part OK for an exhorbitent price but, guess what? The mounting flange was not identical to the old one.

So, at a further exhorbitent price, I had it machined to fit.

Guess what? It didn't have enough oomph to stop the engine.

So, I took a white wire coat hanger, hooked it thru the stop lever, and brought it back to just above the exhaust pipe and put a loop in it so I could pull it.

It has worked flawlessly for 15 years!!

Somebody gave me a new s/s pull cable this year which I might fit to my stop arrangement. If I get the urge. But, I'm loathe to mess with a simple and "perfect" solution which has worked fine all these years :-)

Here it is, hanging from a nylon string.

Attachment 60252

Bill
Bill. I love ya like a brother and I have always appreciated your suggestions... but....Do you have any idea what a white coat hanger sells for in Martinique? Off the chart. And the return spring? Absolutely, totally off the chart!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 17:46   #11
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Bill. I love ya like a brother and I have always appreciated your suggestions... but....Do you have any idea what a white coat hanger sells for in Martinique? Off the chart. And the return spring? Absolutely, totally off the chart!
Ha!

Given the $8.00 Big Mac I paid for in Fort de France 20 years ago, I can believe it!!

Guess you'll just have to improvise :-)

Bill
Old 01-05-2013, 19:41   #12

Bill, while I understand the concept of what you did, I'm a little confused...
Where on the motor is the coat hanger connected to? My starter is one that does not have a solenoid on it. Ergo, by best guess, I need a stop solenoid..? Am I wrong, should I be looking for something else???
Oh, and thanks for all the feedback on such an old thread. I love these forums!
Old 08-05-2013, 05:50   #13
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atraitees View Post
Bill, while I understand the concept of what you did, I'm a little confused...
Where on the motor is the coat hanger connected to? My starter is one that does not have a solenoid on it. Ergo, by best guess, I need a stop solenoid..? Am I wrong, should I be looking for something else???
Oh, and thanks for all the feedback on such an old thread. I love these forums!
Sorry for late reply...just saw your post.

There's a little lever, on or near the injection pump, which is spring loaded. When pulled back (toward the transmission), it stops the engine.

I have a V-drive so my engine's transmission faces forward. This makes it very easy to do the "coat hanger trick". It wouldn't be so easy if the engine faced in the opposite direction.

Bill
Old 13-05-2013, 16:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Sorry for late reply...just saw your post.

There's a little lever, on or near the injection pump, which is spring loaded. When pulled back (toward the transmission), it stops the engine.

I have a V-drive so my engine's transmission faces forward. This makes it very easy to do the "coat hanger trick". It wouldn't be so easy if the engine faced in the opposite direction.

Bill
Well put sir! That so makes sense to me now. Thank you. My perkins 103-10 that I am replacing actually has a "kill" cable hooked up to it. I should have no problem fabricating a bracket for the 4108. I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done. As I was cleaning the head on the 4108 that I just bought I found a hairline crack in it. Needless to say, I have some adjusting to do with my finances so I can replace it.

Tags
perkins