Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 19:32   #1

Boat: Seeker 42
Send a message via Skype™ to Underdog
Perkins 4.236M Heat Exchanger

In an earlier post I was contemplating re-powering the ship - removing the Perkins. Posts and further investigation has made me reconsider, but.....

I now need to overhaul the heat exchanger on this model Perkins (lowline engine) - Apart form the obvious fact that British designers have what must be a pathological hatred of mechanics, causing the access issues etc, does anyone have experience in this that can give me some tips? I am sort of on top of what spares I should need pre removal, but any advice in this area would be appreciated also. The raw water cover (aft) end of the unit has a nasty salt build up (external) that has me thinking sooner, rather than later, for this job would be best.
Right - I am off to see if I can hire a double jointed, ambidextrous midget to assist. (And I thought the by-pass hose on a mini was bad!!!)
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 20:36   #2

Boat: Freedom, Mull 30
Re: Perkins 4.236M heat exchanger

It is hell to remove, you are right. Once you get it off remove the sigle bolt that holds that cover on where you see the salt buildup. I use a weak solution of muriatic acid to boil out the salt/calsium accumulation in the tube stack. If the pencil zinc has been serviced regularly then you should be okay. There is a rubber gasket under that end plate and you need to pay attention to the orientation of that in relation to the tube stack when you remove it. Sen-dure is the original manufacturer. Hope this helps a little.
toodleoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 20:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

nothing to do but go after it. When the temperature needle starts moving up yo know what needs to happen.

I just dropped off oil cooler, main and gen heat exchangers to the radiator shop.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 22:20   #4

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hiya guys,
Actually the original Perkins heat exchangers are made by a company called Bowman engineering in the UK, you can still get them, a useful company for Perkins marinising parts in the UK is called A.S.A.P supplies who can ship anything you need. Just take your time and note the order of strip down, clean everything and replace anything suspect. For calcium build up engine parts/taps/shower heads simply soak in vinegar and that will do the trick. I hope this is helpful.,
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 01:36   #5

Toodleoo - there is no zinc pencil in the system on my engine and no mention of it in manuals or service schedules.
Thanks for the advice - it seems I may be able (if I can get hold of the midget) to remove the core, and therefore access the seals on the ends, with the unit left in place. I will keep my fingers crossed on that and post the result for others.
I get to the UK fairly often. So will look up Bowman Engineering for bits and bobs I need - thanks particularly for that name.
Nicholson58 - I have no temperature problems - it runs on or at about the recommended 88C, the issue is the end cap salt build up, external to the unit - leading to a failure soon I suspect.
Once again - thank you all.
Old 18-02-2012, 04:15   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I have a 4236, mine have a Sherck Heat Exchanger clamped in 2 clamps down below of the Exaust Manifold , i do the job of cleaning and repainting 1 year ago, most dificult task is to remove the nuts close to the raw discharge hose pipe going to the oil cooler and tu put it back need to be in the same way, apart from this the caps are made in bronze , and the casing from the core in aluminium, thick aluminium , and no gaskets in the caps just a O ring, so if the O rings are bad , beware of corrosion in the aluminium side where the caps made contact, you just need 2 Orings for both caps , and some gaskets for the pipes , i do this job mainly because my Perkins climb and pass 180 , also at the same time i flush and clean the fresh water side, Cilinders , Header tank, etc..
This project cost me a can of primer , a can of blue paint , a gallon of muriatic acid , 2 gallons of Antifreeze coolant , 2 O rings , and a sheet of gasket material.

Now no matter how hard i push the beast , never pass 175 degress and run very happy..

A tip;; coat the aluminium side contact with the O ring and the caps with a bit of Tef Gel...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 05:31   #7

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

But isn't 180 the optimum running temp for that engine? I have the same, and it's been running at 180 for 4 years. This summer, up north, the temp would not go above 175 or so, and I called my mechanic who advised me that it was probably due to the water temp. Now back in warm water (Bahamas) it is back to 180 constant. I was under the impression that a bit warm is better than a bit cold with diesels.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 09:00   #8

Following on the your threads, your engine should run around 90c for good combustion of the fuel. If stripping down no need to buy muriatic acid, white vinegar does the job fine, to help the rubber 'O' rings slide in without scoring, coat with a light film of washing up liquid. Always backflush the raw water system with a strong garden hose to flush out any crud. A.S.A.P supplies in UK (Google them) do a super mod for the fuel line to convert the CAV sandwich filter to a canister type, they also do a 'button' type primer pump that fits at the filter head, if you change the filter, fill it with fuel first, spin on and it will start on tickover without bleeding. I hope this helps you.
Old 18-02-2012, 10:23   #9

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterworldly View Post
But isn't 180 the optimum running temp for that engine? I have the same, and it's been running at 180 for 4 years. This summer, up north, the temp would not go above 175 or so, and I called my mechanic who advised me that it was probably due to the water temp. Now back in warm water (Bahamas) it is back to 180 constant. I was under the impression that a bit warm is better than a bit cold with diesels.

Yep, 180 is the right temp for this engine, mine when i push hard climb to 200 + , now after the fresh water refit never pass 180.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 23:05   #10

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. I was kind of regretting not posting on your origional thread suggesting you might want to reconsider, so glad you have had a rethink. I often hear two different sayings out here:
1, Pity it's a Perkins
2. Proud it's a Perkins

I'm in the latter camp. The 4-236 should serve you well for many hours and voyages ahead, it has us.

I routinely take myheat exchanger out and give it a vinegar (as suggested above) soak. Even though I have pretty decent engine access, it's still a bit of a mission to get it out. I only use 1 of the clamps (makes it a little easier) and haven't had any trouble with supporting issues.

I would have a good look at your connecting hoses. If they have never been changed, you might want to do that this time and then keep an eye on them.

I carry an extra end cap and gasket (just in case). All the best. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Room.JPG
Views:	2205
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	37615  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 00:10   #11

I wouldn't worry about a few degrees either side of 90c as it's a recommended temp,not an exact setting,as long as your not running (a bit too cold) below 70c,to quote waterwordly, or over (a too bit warm) 95c, there are several variable factors that influence your engine temps and as with any engine to get the maximum benefit, cleanliness of air, water, fuel, engine exterior are all important factors. i'm with Matauwhi in the 'Proud it's a Perkins' camp, mine is ultra reliable and has never let me down in 26 years cruising. Google How to enjoy cruising in retirement and it will give you an insight. Happy cruising
Old 19-02-2012, 14:25   #12

Cleaning in place or dismantle all is good both ways. However a good acid cleaning and passing a 3/8 brass rod in the tubes is the best to ensure that every tube is operational. Before restart, I would change also the thermostat to enure few years of free engine overheating. For boats who have room in the motor compartment, nothing stop you to relocate this exchanger for a better access.
2007.pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 10:26   #13

Hiya folks, with all of us helping each other with tips this heat exchanger problem is well sorted,if I ever have to do mine I routinely change the thermostat and temperature sender and clean the connections. Not because they are faulty, just because I'm lazy, having stripped all down I don't wish to do it again for a while. i'd rather be cruisin'.
Enjoy life and be happy wherever you are.
Old 20-02-2012, 14:31   #14

Totally agree.
80°C is a good temperature for the 4.236, probably the best engine ever made in the 75-85HP range.
Watch the altermator belt tension and keep the original output. Increasing alternator amperage would result of an extra load to the sweet water cooling pump bearing. On mine since there was a double groove on the main pulley, I added another alternator, one wire type, 100A.
Happy sailing. Pierre
2007.pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 21:27   #15

Irish Rambler, do you have any more contact information for Bowman engineering? I am on my way to London right now, leaving Singabore tonight, and would like to sort maybe a total spare if they have them at the right price. Also ASAP is coming up on internet searches as some sort of promotion company in the UK, any more on them also?

I have found the 'Dealer' for Perkins in the UK, Diperk, but the website is crap - 'Parts' page selected gives you no parts to select and the 'contact us' - which I did - comes back with an error message. True Perkins people I am guessing...LOL

I will call Diperk when in town but the others may be worth investigating also.

Thanks to everyone for all your help, much appreciated.

Matauwhi, I plan to sail to NZ in Spring/early summer, hope to catch you then. Love the clean engine.

Tags
heat exchanger, perkins