Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2018, 15:57   #1

Perkins 4.108 air filter

My Perkins has a metal mushroom cap over the air intake with a metal cylindrical screen inside. The Perkins Shop Manual seems to indicate that there should be a gauze filter element that covers the metal screen. "Remove and wash gauze in cleaning fluid every 150 hours" (p. Q1). But the Perkins dealer is telling me there's no filter element, just the cap and metal screen. Do other people's engines have a gauze filter? I would think that with just the metal screen, harmful dust would get inside.
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 18:52   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Perkins 4.108 air filter

On a boat it's just screen. It's popular to adapt an automotive K&N air filter. With a Perkins you need to also adapt the breather. BTW, the filter media in a K&N is medical gauze so you could make your own.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 20:07   #3

Marine environment air is generally very clean hence a screen only required. The main reason an after market filter unit is added is to reduce induction noise.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 20:27   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Never had a filter under the mushroom on my 4-108.
Probably a good idea, but no road dust, sand or other pollution.
(Except rubber dust from “fan belt”, but probably soft enough to not cause much internal damage)
Engine was from 1979, compression good, everything good despite no air filter..
Old 22-05-2018, 22:30   #5

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

I had the same question when I removed mine and saw nothing was there except the mesh screen. Figured 'gauze' might have been British for "metal mesh screen" and just cleaned it and re-installed.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 08:50   #6

Its on my to do list

There can be a lot of dust and crap inside the hull and around the bilges, so it makes sense to hold that out of the intake, I think I read that the intake system is only capable of 170 or so CFM (cubic feet min) so its easy to suffice. Just take the diameter of your intake manifold to a speed shop and they should have something way in excess of the breathing capacity of these 1800cc engines.
Old 23-05-2018, 09:49   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as i have cat on board and managed to have the innards of my mushroom filter lost for me, i bought and installed a k and n filter here in mexico. is magenta so it goes well with my multicolored perkins named ka lunk. so far, so good. i still have my magic mushroom but it is gutless and a souvenir at present. the guts used to be a strainer type thing that fit inside the mushroom nicely and has some metal material looked like a very coarse brillo pad in and around it. the container strainer disappeared . hence k&n
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 13:56   #8

I have a Perkins 4.108.
It does not have an airfilter, and none is required.
The reason it is not required in a boat is because the dust in your engine room is not abrasive, as a land engine would encounter.
Some of the dust will be soot. All will be combustible, consider it free fuel, which your diesel can use.
Never has been a problem, don't look for one. HOWEVER, a dirty airfilter will cause you no end of grief, and will mostly show at higher power output.
Gasoline (petrol) engines do require flame arrestors, just to confuse the issue.
Redpcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 16:45   #9

Boat: Domp 8.60

I live on the West African coast and we do have dust storms here from time to time the dust will fly onto the ocean and when the wind turns it can take days for it to clear up. As a professional generator service person/company I would have an air filter on my engine anywhere in he world just to be on the save side i have seen the K&N filter they seem like a good filter to me or just use the standard Perkins filter housing with a filter inside.
Milko Berben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 16:09   #10

Thanks for the info. I tend to agree with Milko: I'd rather have a real filter on it. But I won't worry too much about it for now, since dust isn't much of a problem here in Alaska.
Water Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 02:51   #11

Boat: Dufour 385

i have a k&N on mine and wish i had gone with a cleanable foam filter as i now get a bit on intake noise, it's not bad but i could have avoided it
ballvalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 09:06   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballvalve View Post
i have a k&N on mine and wish i had gone with a cleanable foam filter as i now get a bit on intake noise, it's not bad but i could have avoided it

I doubt the foam would have.
But if you want to try, just wrap a bit of foam around the K&N to see if it quietens it down.
Use the open cell foam sold in sheets for portable air conditioners.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 09:20   #13
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
Thanks for the info. I tend to agree with Milko: I'd rather have a real filter on it. But I won't worry too much about it for now, since dust isn't much of a problem here in Alaska.
I get a fine dusting all the time in SE Alaska, it blows off the mountains and has a shimmer to it and feels like glass (suspect it’s quartz) I have the k&n sitting on the boat for the last year but yet to install, maybe this week lol ya right.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 09:27   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Perkins 4.108 air filter

For the crankcase vent.
My k&N Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0355.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	170490has a rubber end to it, I just bought a 1/2” nylon elbow, drilled a hole in the K&N and the fitting fits really snug, attach vent hose to it and your done,
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 09:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dragon View Post
My Perkins has a metal mushroom cap over the air intake with a metal cylindrical screen inside. The Perkins Shop Manual seems to indicate that there should be a gauze filter element that covers the metal screen. "Remove and wash gauze in cleaning fluid every 150 hours" (p. Q1). But the Perkins dealer is telling me there's no filter element, just the cap and metal screen. Do other people's engines have a gauze filter? I would think that with just the metal screen, harmful dust would get inside.

If you use any form of filter you will find over time and a short time at that the filter will quickly clog with moisture containing salt. This has the effect of staving the engine of oxygen
This in the early stages reduces power and gradually causes all forms of damage.
A metal gauze is normally all that is used. This stops items like rags carelessly left on or near a engine being sucked into the engine.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins