Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2015, 08:28   #61

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Outboard Too Large - Buyer’s Remorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
To the OP.. All of the above are valid viewpoints, and I have a 6hp outboard as the main auxiliary on my 23fter, with a MinnKota as a backup. I also know it's likely a few years out for you, BUT just a thing to consider...

On our recent trip chartering, the 5 and 7 year old running the 15 HP equipped dinghy at full throttle (with my hand on it), doing shitties and circling around to crash into their own wakes while screaming with glee from the top of their lungs is one of those "it is great to be alive" moments. The kids won't soon forget it either, and they got more experience handling the dinghy, and that is worth something..

(For anyone at a mooring in the bvis's mid April, being annoyed at some kids having fun for a few minutes, I hope we weren't TOO annoying..)

Sent from my A0001 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
If you were far enough away from the anchorage or mooring field so nobody else was hardly aware you were doing it and not even your wake had any effect on them then I'm sure you didn't annoy anyone, but if that was not the case, you probably did annoy some folks.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 13:44   #62

Boat: Nonsuch 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Having a fridge is a HUGE decision. In the end it costs you thousands and a bunch of stuff on your boat in addition tot he fridge.
Like ice cream...
Old 21-05-2016, 15:53   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It seemed to me that the OP had two primary concerns: the first that his powerful motor scared him and maybe his wife, a bit, and therefore they were worried about the safety of their small child in the dinghy; and the second, that the engine is heavy to move about. He already has this motor, and his reasons for buying it seem sound to me.

The child will grow and become heavier (thus affecting dinghy performance). Good safety practice will keep the child safe, and this may mean motoring slowly. Depending on where they're going to be cruising, having a competent dinghy and motor increases the safety of the mother boat, as it will be anchored where it is best protected, and explorations of some distance effected by the dinghy to get to dive and fishing spots.

Handling the heavier motor--we have a 15 horse 2 stroke, which weighs in the vicinity of 100 lbs.--is something we do with the main halyard. We made a lifting harness for the motor, and snap on the halyard, Jim fends it off the boat while I raise the motor (6 full winch turns, as it happens), and he walks it back. We have been doing this in this way for in the vicinity of 25 yrs of cruising. When the mother boat is pitching because there's lots of breeze, it is still doable, 'cause the lift happens at amidships, where the height of the pitch is least.

I think the OP should keep his motor and gain more experience with it, because I think that his reasons are sound, and in tune with his character. Normally, and in most issues I tend towards minimalist thinking, but where and how you want to use a dinghy is at the crux of this argument. If all you'll ever want it for is fine weather trips to and from shore, small is great, but if you might ever need to use your dinghy to take out an additional anchor, after the wind has got up, and you're swing closer than you like to some rocks, you will appreciate every single horsepower that you can bring to bear.

Foothill sailor, it is not only Americans who like big, strong, fast dinghies. South Africans and Australians do, too. Canadians and French, not so much.

Ann

Tags
outboard