Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2010, 06:13   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Outboard Remorse

This fall I bought a used outboard for our boat. a 1998 Yamaha F9.9MHW in very good condition. When I bought it I was a little concerned that it would be a bit overkill for our boat but thought that its benefits outweigh its drawbacks. The main reason I bought it is that it is the only outboard that is less than 15hp that has an alternator that puts out more than 6amps (supposedly 12amps).

But it is a big heavy motor to propel what is really just a 19 ft hull. There is no info available from the manufacture on hp limits but I am assuming I am at the top.

Well come to find out the older version of this motor, which I have, only has a 6 amp alternator, it also does not have a locking mechanism to keep the tiller centered. All it has is a tensioning screw, the merits of which I have yet to test out.

Did I buy the wrong motor? What should I do?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 06:50   #2

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
The tiller problem should be easy to sort out with a little work creating some way to secure it. As for it's size, you don't have to run it flat out. If you are up for the expense, could you replace the alternator with the newer, higher output model?

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 07:01   #3

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Why not buy a solar panel to make up the difference?

I'm not talking a 6 amp panel, but you may not need all the amps from the motor if you have a 15 watt or so panel keeping up with the charging throughout the sunny days.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 07:20   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
For years I used a 9.9 outboard on my 6,000 lb 26-footer for keys and Bahamas cruising. I rarely ran it at full throttle. I'm fairly sure, it just had a pressure screw as well, which seemed to work. In addition to the small alternator I had 2 flexible solar cells on the bimini. Having an extra long shaft as opposed to a regular long shaft was extremely helpful.

In terms of power, it's not just a matter of what the alternator output is. You really need to calculate what your demands are and how much you produce. What you produce obviously depends on how long you run the motor for as well as it's output. The capacity for your battery bank to store this energy is also a factor.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 12:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
For years I used a 9.9 outboard on my 6,000 lb 26-footer for keys and Bahamas cruising. I rarely ran it at full throttle. I'm fairly sure, it just had a pressure screw as well, which seemed to work. In addition to the small alternator I had 2 flexible solar cells on the bimini. Having an extra long shaft as opposed to a regular long shaft was extremely helpful.

In terms of power, it's not just a matter of what the alternator output is. You really need to calculate what your demands are and how much you produce. What you produce obviously depends on how long you run the motor for as well as it's output. The capacity for your battery bank to store this energy is also a factor.
Thanks for the advice guys, I may go the solar route. Even then we may be running at a bit of a deficit. I can do all of the calculating I want but I really won't know my needs until I get out there.I have discussed it at length in different threads. I think our boat clocks in at a hefty 3000lbs.
Old 17-04-2010, 08:02   #6

And now to make things more complicated I just spoke to a Yamaha rep and he said that I should be fine with the 9.9 on a 3000lb boat. I guess there is only one way to find out and that is get it out on the water.
Old 17-04-2010, 09:29   #7

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Arrow

Sadly that motor is about twice the weight and hp you want for your boat.

The 'extra horse power' argument might warrant a 6hp over the 3-4 hp you really need.... but 9.9 is really overkill. The extra HP does nothing to move the boat faster. The stern will squat more as you increase throttle, and the sailing performance will be harmed by the extra weight.

A #55 6hp motor would move your boat well.

The Yamaha is an excellent motor, and the 2 cyl motor is smooth... I wish someone would make a 2 cyl 5-6hp motor for Sailors... Yamaha used to have a great 6/8 2 cyl, 2 stoke motor (now seem only in 8hp and only with a 15" [short] shaft.)

The Honda 5, of the 4/5/6 hp Tohatsu / Nissan / (or mercury if you just want to pay more for a different label on the cowl) should work well for your boat.....

Unless you can find a good 2 cly 2 stroke and don't mind the mixing.

Good luck.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 10:01   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Don't torture the poor guy. Plus or minus 25 pounds (I assume that from 1998, it's a two stroke version) or even plus or minus 40 pounds is not going to be that noticeable on a 3,000 pound boat which will have a few hundred pounds of crew and gear on it, too. The main disadvantage is taking it on and off. There is an advantage -- that's a powerful, two cylinder engine which will be smoother and less stressed and more reliable than the 5hp.

Just get out on the water and try it; you can really overdo the theory on things like this.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 10:28   #9

I believe the real title of your small cutter is Blackwatch 19 and has 2300 pounds disp. with 800 pounds ballast. So the 9.9 is twice what you need but you shouldn't have to worry about tide or current. And you should reach a good cruising speed at moderate rpm. What about a Honda 1000 or 2000 gen. for power generation.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 10:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Don't torture the poor guy. Plus or minus 25 pounds (I assume that from 1998, it's a two stroke version) or even plus or minus 40 pounds is not going to be that noticeable on a 3,000 pound boat which will have a few hundred pounds of crew and gear on it, too. The main disadvantage is taking it on and off. There is an advantage -- that's a powerful, two cylinder engine which will be smoother and less stressed and more reliable than the 5hp.

Just get out on the water and try it; you can really overdo the theory on things like this.
I think that's exactly what I am doing: over thinking it. The engine is not a 2 stroke, it is a 4 stroke, which is what I want because the trip we will be taking will require the added fuel economy.The 9.9 weighs 91lbs The 6HP Yamaha 4 stroke weights 60 lbs I will lose 30 lbs just worrying my head about the thing.

If we get the thing up to Lake Erie and it is squatting in the stern and won't sail for sh*t then I will sell it up there. In the mean time someone from CF PMs me and says, "hey I live in Pittsburgh, I have a 2003 4 stroke 6hp Yamaha with a 100amp alternator () and want to trade you." Then sure I will go for it.
Old 17-04-2010, 11:22   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Having bought it, I would also keep it and at least try it. However the one thing you may have overlooked is the prop size. Their is a range of prop sizes for each engine depending on whether it is wizzing around on the back of a small launch or pushing a yacht. You might want to have a chat to your local dealer, and also ask him about high thrust props.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 11:50   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
If the outboard isn't strong enough to push your boat then get out and swim. I'll lend you a brick to help.

LOL ROTFL

<I'm still giggling>

hey, clown, its called Buyers Remorse. Everyone gets it no matter how well you have researched or done the deal. Its what marketers rely on to make you pay too much in the first place.

Just run it and have fun Who needs more than 6 amps anyway? What are you running? A turbo hot bath?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 12:25   #13

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Don't torture the poor guy. Plus or minus 25 pounds (I assume that from 1998, it's a two stroke version) or even plus or minus 40 pounds is not going to be that noticeable on a 3,000 pound boat which will have a few hundred pounds of crew and gear on it, too.....
I really am not trying to torture anyone. If you read my posts you will find I am very much the 'anti-neysayer'... I dislike keyboard sailors and very much do not wish to be numbered among them.

'Torture' is having a #104 outboard on a 24' boat that causes the stern to squat... motoring is not pleasure either... the weight induced stern squat makes it hard to know how much throttle is too much... the Yamaha 9.9 is a wonderful motor... it is just way too much for that boat.

Keep in mind the extra #50 is not where you are going to stow gear and not notice the weight... it is at the stern. The difference is significant.

If it could be returned, even at a loss, to advise 'learning to live with it' is not kindness at all if it is not sound advice which in my experience it is not.

Peace, and fair winds to all......
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2010, 12:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Who needs more than 6 amps anyway? What are you running? A turbo hot bath?

Mark
Ummmm yes, that and my water maker and flat screen.
Old 18-04-2010, 16:17   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If it is the wrong engine for you and you paid a fiar price, you should be able to sell it with little or no loss (dare one say profit?) and get the engine you really want.

Getting rid of excess weight on the transom is always a good idea. Many outboards use "one size" lower unit with different top units in order to make volume use of the parts. Slap on a small top unit, voila, you've got a 9.9 to beat the 10hp tariffs. Slap on another bigger top unit, and the same engine is a 15hp engine. So the lower unit is really "right" for the largest combo they use it with, and excess dead weight for the rest. VERY common.

Odds are for a sailboat you want a lightweight LONG SHAFT engine, to ge the prop into clear water without having to mount the engine too far down on the transom. And, a 'sailboat" prop, designed to push your displacement hull slowly, rather than pushing a planing hull (or a light rowboat) faster.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard