Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2009, 12:44   #1

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
I need an outboard!

Hi folks,

I'm making preps for my big ICW trip, and I need an outboard for my dinghy but don't want to pay new outboard prices.

I have a Walker Bay 9.4 , hard body dinghy. Max rated hp = 5 hp.

Anyone looking to get rid of an outboard below my limit? Obviously, it has to run well. 2-stroke would be preferrable for weight reasons, but I'm flexible.

I'm in Charleston, SC. The boat's in Annapolis, MD. So anyplace along the I-95 corridor between here and there will work, as I could pick up the motor on my way to the boat.

Drop me a line.

-Alexei
Old 22-04-2009, 12:49   #2

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Buy oars and a hard dink... much more enjoyable. You can get good exercise, enjoy the water, and work for your wake. Rowing really gives you an appreciation for the amount of fuel wasted, erosion caused, and general negative effects of using a little "Wakemaker 9000" . The only time it is acceptable to be making a wake, is when there is enough wind that you get up to hull speed. At which point nobody is going to notice your wake anyway!

I have an engine on my boat, and I do use it, so I am not totally unreasonable, I just see a lot of "sailors" zipping around in their toy motorboats, and it disgusts me. Get in touch with nature!
Old 22-04-2009, 12:56   #3

if you are really on a tight budget, check out Craig's list etc (if you havent already) The old 90's yamahas will run forever. Motors your size are very easy to fix if there is nothing wrong inside the engine crankcase. Often no cooling water comes out because the little tube is plugged when it exits the engine housing. Seems in that size you can often find an old one a senior has had in his garage forever with little use. Avoid any air cooled versions entirely. A lot of 6 hp Evinrude and Johnsons were made, These probably wouldnt over power your boat at all. If you are not looking to plane the dingy even a 2hp evinrude will push it along nicely and you can hand it up to the mothership with one hand!
Old 22-04-2009, 13:19   #4

There's a 4.5 Merc and 5.5 Johnson on Craig's List Raleigh if you are near there.
Old 22-04-2009, 13:40   #5
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
We bought 3.5 merc 4 stroke new for 700$. Weighs in at 35 lbs. Gets 10 mpg.runs good on non alcohol gas.were headed your way now from fl. Where is your destination?
Old 23-04-2009, 04:55   #6

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
We bought 3.5 merc 4 stroke new for 700$. Weighs in at 35 lbs. Gets 10 mpg.runs good on non alcohol gas.were headed your way now from fl. Where is your destination?
I'll be sailing the boat from Annapolis to Charleston. We moved to Charleston a few months back, but haven't had the chance to bring the boat down yet. I plan to make the trip in the first couple weeks of June.

Didn't really need an outboard in Annapolis, because I had a slip. Down here in Charleston, I'll be on a mooring in the Ashley River. Between rowing distance and current, oars will get old really quickly.....hence, time for a motor.

Tags
outboard