Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2016, 13:20   #1

Outboard overhaul needed

Hey guys,

I'm needing a general overhaul on my 2010 Mercury 25 hp engine in Grenada. Spark plug coil assembly, may have low pressure in one cylinder, carburetor leaking fuel. I'm in Grenada at the moment, does anyone have recommendations for folks that are good at outboard overhauls? I had Anro look at it but they are recommending purchasing a new engine (they are Mercury dealer) versus doing the service... which I am surprised this can't just be serviced considering it's only 6 years old. I'll be headed back up north towards St Maarten and BVI's pretty soon, so any recommendations in those areas or along the way also useful. The symptom is only running on one cylinder. I thought it might just be the coil which is obviously in need of replacement, but I took it in and Anro came up with this long list of items:

- You have Low Compression on the Lower Cylinder, we will have to disassemble to investigate.
- Carburetor Leaking Fuel, needs to be Replaced.
- Engine /Gearbox won’t select reverse gear.
- Spark Plug Leads Faulty, Complete Coil Assembly needs to be replaced.
- SaltWater in Lower Unit Mixing with Gear Oil

Thanks guys!
cbrooks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 13:41   #2

Re: Outboard overhaul needed

No doubt it can be fixed, but the economics may not make sense. It may not take much in the way of parts and labour to add up to the cost of a new motor.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 15:12   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrooks07 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm needing a general overhaul on my 2010 Mercury 25 hp engine in Grenada. Spark plug coil assembly, may have low pressure in one cylinder, carburetor leaking fuel. I'm in Grenada at the moment, does anyone have recommendations for folks that are good at outboard overhauls? I had Anro look at it but they are recommending purchasing a new engine (they are Mercury dealer) versus doing the service... which I am surprised this can't just be serviced considering it's only 6 years old. I'll be headed back up north towards St Maarten and BVI's pretty soon, so any recommendations in those areas or along the way also useful. The symptom is only running on one cylinder. I thought it might just be the coil which is obviously in need of replacement, but I took it in and Anro came up with this long list of items:

- You have Low Compression on the Lower Cylinder, we will have to disassemble to investigate. correct
- Carburetor Leaking Fuel, needs to be Replaced. Possibly correct, might only need gaskets.
- Engine /Gearbox won’t select reverse gear. Did you experience this? It could be fixable, an adjustment issue, or worn out.
- Spark Plug Leads Faulty, Complete Coil Assembly needs to be replaced. Simple, easy job.
- SaltWater in Lower Unit Mixing with Gear Oil OMG, really? the poor thing is really in very bad shape.

Thanks guys!
False assumption, cbrooks, you need more than an overhaul.

If you can find a used 2 stroke, they usually are not too hard to figure out, and then, maintain that sucker. This means changing the gear oil in the lower unit on some kind of a schedule, among other things. But really, the only way to be sure something is properly maintained is to do it yourself, because that's just how the world is. People forget stuff and they do mickey mouse things, and ultimately you care more than they do about your *whatever*. This is also why it benefits you to work along with whoever you hire, whenever possible.

Ann
Old 01-10-2016, 20:40   #4

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

2 stroke or 4 stroke? Surely there's a non-dealer mechanic in the area that can give you a second opinion. Ask around, at about 4500.00 US for a new one, a lot of repairs can be made. Depending on hours, the dealer recommendation sounds fishy to me, all the items listed can be investigated and may have simpler and less expensive solutions.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 22:42   #5

Boat: Amel 50

For a 6 year old outboard, these are a lot of problems...

I would be very suspicious.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:14   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
For a 6 year old outboard, these are a lot of problems...

I would be very suspicious.
Boom, not too sure what you're getting at, do you think it was a POS to begin with? Or are your questioning the diagnosis presented to the OP.

Really, with salt water in the lower unit, the report of not being able to shift it, I think it's been so badly abused that it is used up, poor thing, but perhaps you have a different take on it... Please be so kind as to set out your ideas.

Ann
Old 02-10-2016, 07:03   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

I think Boom's point is that the laundry list of faults cited by the dealer is unrealistically long for a 6 year-old motor and that Brooks should be suspicious of their assessment.

In any event, Brooks is doing the logical thing, which is to get a second opinion before making a decision on repair or replace.

Brooks, did you buy this new? Those are a lot of unrelated problems for a motor that has been properly maintained. It almost sounds like it was submerged at one point...
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 23:14   #8

Boat: Amel 50

I would start by talking to other boaters to find a trustworthy local mechanic. Then, I would get a second opinion.

That's what I would do if I wanted to potentially save some money.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 13:26   #9

Buy new coil pack and carb gaskets from eBay. Install and if it runs ok fix the problems in the leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 03:40   #10

Boat: Oyster 66

The mechanics in the repair shop at Le Phare Bleu marina are good guys.

Or buy a set of parts for these issues. Tens of $s only. It's all doable yourself with a worship manual. Plug leads, lower unit seals, new lower unit oil, piston rings, carb o rings depending on where the leak is.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard, overhaul