Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 11:45   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)
Re: Outboard motor class syllabus

You may want to start with the information in US Powerboating's Start Powerboating Right! Your club teaches powerboating using this book and syllabus, and it should provide 50-70% of the information your class needs.

Chuck
Old 01-11-2018, 16:15   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41

Cadence. Kids will be high school age. Andy Ess I am not teaching them how to drive the boats but how to work on the engine. Chuck I will look into that pamphlet.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 01-11-2018, 16:49   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I am not teaching them how to drive the boats but how to work on the engine. Chuck I will look into that pamphlet.
I think you'll find Chapter 2 on OB Engines to be a pretty good summary of what you need to teach. It focuses on parts of the engine, 2-stroke vs 4-stroke, starting procedure, and so forth. Craig Perez might be a resource. Incidentally, I have some out-of-date books that I'd send you for free that accompany the course. I think I have four copies.

Chuck
Old 01-11-2018, 18:14   #19

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Teach them to change all S/S bolts that are threaded into aluminium, to studs with nuts, then when undoing later, especially if the motor has had a "swim" they can be undone without breaking off in the Al casting. I don't understand why all outboard manufacturers use bolts, instead of studs, maybe cheaper? I always do this with all new outboards I purchase, never had bolts break!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:04   #20

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I would emphasize the importance of using non-ethanol fuel......it's a killer....maybe cover fuel storage since I guess that most outboards spend most of their life just sitting around.
Bill

I suggest a bit of discussion around the probable failures due to ethanol in older motors.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:28   #21

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

I like the ‘get em started’ idea. If you wanted to really make an impact, go on a craigslist spree and get a pile of fixer uppers going for the lads/lasses to awaken! I got a nice side biz rocking doing just that, getting estate sale outboards and fixing and selling, but mainly I teach grade school. This sounds superb. A great replacement for shop class.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:20   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Cadence. Kids will be high school age. Andy Ess I am not teaching them how to drive the boats but how to work on the engine. Chuck I will look into that pamphlet.
The reason I asked age was because it sounded like you were aiming toward rebuilding a OB. Even at HS age your list sounds like you would require a great deal of time and probably an OB to pull apart.
If you can find one with a shear pin I want it. I recall as a kid keeping them and cotter pins in a water tight baby food jar along with a pair of pliers in a small forepeak.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:34   #23

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Safety around a scythe whirling at hundreds of rpm should be fundamental to any course work on rotating machinery. I wasn't proposing you give seamanship and conning lessons.
Next time dont ask for free advice if you are closed minded to posters on an open forum.
BTW, I had a friend whose 12 year old fell off the pontoon boat they were on and was mangled and jammed into the prop for over 10 minutes. The only reason he survived (with a bit a brain damage) was they were boating in a cold northern inland lake. I work at construction sites all around the world - and always have respect for high speed, totally exposed rotating parts.
Next piece of advice - stay away from instructing kids if you think safety isn't the most important part of instruction.
Have a nice life since I won't be talking to you again.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:36   #24
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Touchy much?

Seems very possible he just misunderstood your initial, very terse suggestion.
Closed Thread

Tags
motor, outboard