Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 11:32   #16

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Oil filters, which would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhippiesailer View Post
To extend this discussion a little, I have a Perkins 4 108 and would like an "off-engine" filter setup, with the filter mounted on a bulkhead wall, and hopefully some way to drain the old oil from the same location. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!
We have a Perkins 4-236. It was equipped with a truck preluber. This is an electric oil pump plumbed into a sandwich manifold with the oil filter. It runs for a minute before starting to build oil pressure.

It's fitted with Staubli quick disconnects which allows for easy engine oil extraction.

You can fit a similar oil filter sandwich manifold and remote a filter. It's a common motorsport modification. Summit performance is a good place to start. Make sure you use good quality hoses, mount them correctly and inspect often.

I would have fitted a preluber but the vessel came with it. The previous owner was an obsessive compulsive retired aircraft mechanic.

We have an original Perkins with clean oil and no engine leaks and 3800 hours. I inspect filters each change and regularly run an engine oil analysis. I use Perkins OEM filters. They're cheap and of reasonable quality.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 11:55   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhippiesailer View Post
To extend this discussion a little, I have a Perkins 4 108 and would like an "off-engine" filter setup, with the filter mounted on a bulkhead wall, and hopefully some way to drain the old oil from the same location. Any suggestions?

Thanks all!
I bought a kit from here for my Yanmar
//http://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=remote+oil
The engine side adapter had straight fittings on it and I did not have enough room to make a turn with the hosing, so it is not installed.
Old 13-01-2016, 12:25   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm pretty satisfied with FRAM filters. I also use Canadian Tire brand MotoMaster filters, and the cheapest brand of oil. However, I change the oil and filters more often. I suppose if I was going on a long trip, I might consider a premium filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 001.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	116662  
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 12:40   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

I normally keep about 10 oil filters and about 20 fuel filters.. Sorry to say I buy what I find ! as we use a lot.. Always tried to source delphi but not easy !! Never seen napa in this part of the world...
Old 13-01-2016, 22:59   #20

Boat: Adams 40

Quote:
Oldhippiesailer To extend this discussion a little, I have a Perkins 4 108 and would like an "off-engine" filter setup, with the filter mounted on a bulkhead wall, and hopefully some way to drain the old oil from the same location. Any suggestions?
The original filter on this marinised engine was VERY short, and the "on-engine" combined adapter and oil cooler were judged too heavy for the alloy adapter. This is how it looks now.

Many detailed images available of the parts fabricated to incorporate the remote filter and oil cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20070402_0008.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	116682  
TranceNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 14:01   #21

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I went with the Mobil1 filter. I also bought a spare K&N just in case. The K&N looked better but the first place I went didn't have the right one. The Mobil 1 looks good. It has a better "O" ring seal, looked like a proper "O" ring instead of a piece of foam. When I took off the FRAM the "O" ring was out of position.
Old 19-01-2016, 14:19   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
We have a Perkins 4-236. It was equipped with a truck preluber. This is an electric oil pump plumbed into a sandwich manifold with the oil filter. It runs for a minute before starting to build oil pressure.

It's fitted with Staubli quick disconnects which allows for easy engine oil extraction.

You can fit a similar oil filter sandwich manifold and remote a filter. It's a common motorsport modification. Summit performance is a good place to start. Make sure you use good quality hoses, mount them correctly and inspect often.

I would have fitted a preluber but the vessel came with it. The previous owner was an obsessive compulsive retired aircraft mechanic.

We have an original Perkins with clean oil and no engine leaks and 3800 hours. I inspect filters each change and regularly run an engine oil analysis. I use Perkins OEM filters. They're cheap and of reasonable quality.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thanks so much for all the information. I will definitely look into that sandwich filter arrangement. Sounds like just what I was looking for
Oldhippiesailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 14:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
Napa Gold for the money is a very good filter. You can find them at any NAPA store, and are about the same price as a Fram.

Your filter crosses over to these
NAPA 1064
NAPA 1334
NAPA 1338
NAPA 1344
NAPA 1381

Heard Wix makes the NAPA Gold and here is there Xref. Truck drivers love Wix on their rigs.
Wix 51064
Wix 51344

I wouldn't use a Fram oil filter on my Lawnmower. Boat motors are too expensive and too important to use one of the worst brands on them. Look at the cut aways at a part store or goggle it.

I'm not afraid of Fram fuel filters
Wix has a cross reference tool on their website, and it even understands Universal part numbers! I haven't tried it on Yanmar.

I've been using Wix for all my filters for years - cars and boat. You can get them online from the truck spares places. I just bought 3 years of oil and fuel filters for my 5424. I ordered Wix, and got Napa Gold - exactly the same part, with different paint on. The clue is in the almost identical part numbers - 1344 for Napa Gold, the Wix just has a 5 on the front.

If you need one in a hurry, O Reilly have them behind the counter - you just have to ask. They have Fram on display.

Actually, the Fram fuel filter for my boat's primary filter is crap too. Everyone else uses a metal case, Fram uses cardboard.
Old 19-01-2016, 14:48   #24

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too

Diesel Engine - c34.org
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 14:52   #25
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I use Wix.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 15:49   #26

This may sound silly but look at the paint job on the filter carefully my dock neighbor seized and engine due to tiny rust hole on the filter! looked new otherwise He knew the oil light had to be wrong because he had just checked oil
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, oil, oil filter