Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 11:52   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Oil Filter may have killed my engine

So this is a general question to see if anyone else has had this problem, or how I should (maybe) approach the manufacturer.

I had a load of work done on my engine, that also involved an oil and oil filter change.

Started the engine back up and she got up to temperature in about five minutes (which wasn't normal), and then when out for a motor the engine seized in about fifteen minutes. The mechanic has now got her turning over by hand and the oil pump is pumping, but there is no oil getting through the filter. On taking the filter off it was only about a quarter full (when compared to another new filter). When we poured new oil down the outside holes it doesn't percolate through

The mechanic thinks that there is an issue inside the filter that was stopping the oil circulating, so its either clogged with something or blocked within.

So the question is what should I do? If I cut the filter open to see inside and there is an issue will the manufacture stand up and take the hit, or do I talk to them direct and potentially send it off for them to inspect and take their word for it?

All thought and advice welcome!
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Oil Filter may have killed my engine

It's possible the oil filter does not have a bypass for cold oil. Cheaper oil filters (some that starts with F) don't have a bypass that opens when the oil is cold and thick. Less of an issue on cars with 0 or 5 cold weight oil. Not so good with thicker Diesel oils.

I know that mobile one and Wix filters have integral bypass in the filter, plus good filtration.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:07   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Oil Filter may have killed my engine

This link should explain oil filter bypass valves, a bypass valve should not have done as you say, but a piece of plastic bag etc inside of the filter could.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...&Number=309756
I don’t think you have any chance in going after the filter company, even if it was the filter, cause you didn’t do as you were supposed to do and verify oil pressure by the alarm going off.
Not having an alarm, or an alarm that is inop will I think make you lose the case, but I’m no lawyer, I guess anything could happen.
I’d be astonished if any oil filter manufacturer will pony up and replace your engine without a court battle, and I’d guess that would be a difficult proposition.
If you think it’s a possibility, I would do nothing until after I talked to a product liability lawyer. I wouldn’t touch the engine at all, until the lawyer says so.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:15   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Define a load of work done on your engine. What you're describing is not a filter failure mode. Perhaps something blocked an oil gallery. Hard to diagnose on this forum with no pics, logs or diagnosis.

I see zero chance of you making a claim on a filter manufacturer.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:23   #5

Well the work done included removing and pressure testing all the coolers, new starter, rebuilt injector pump, rebuilt injectors, new fuel lift pump, and replaced all the hoses.

The filters we are using has the bypass and they don't begin with an F

The oil alarm was inop, and was next on the list, so as you say, this could all have been my fault.

However, all might not be lost, she has just started up, so were going to do another change to get all the anti seize fluid out and then run her up to see what happens......

Perhaps my title for this thread was a little panicky but thank you for the speedy responses!
Old 03-05-2018, 12:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Good luck on getting an engine. Especially if you didn't check oil pressure on starting. The makers of cheap oil filters have been protecting themselves with legions of lawyers for as long as I can remember (and I'm 70). Apparently it's cheaper to hire lawyers than make quality oil filters.
Youtube has a number of videos showing the insides of various brands of spin on filters and their differences.
I routinely cut open my filters to check the kinds of debris. Just soot & dirt or metal, and how much water the filter is catching.
I've rebuilt diesels that suffered an oil failure. It takes a very careful mechanic to verify reused parts and places are still up to manufacturers standards. Tappets, their bores, rockers, cam, timing gears, machined surfaces and many other items that don't normally get replaced or bushed have to be mic'ed. Probably cheaper to replace a small engine.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 13:00   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

This is a good one, although he's kinda wordy.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 13:44   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Some filters come with a little cellophane seal over the open end, others don't. It is possible yours was unsealed, and critters got inside. Yes, bugs can nest in anything. And block it. Or, a clever mechanic might have left a cellophane on--and blocked the filter. Or the filter could simply be defective.
That happens, and all the reputable filter companies warranty their filters against failure, and will cover resulting engine damage. So it pays to contact the filter company before you start slicing anything open.

There is another question, was it a genuine filter? Counterfeits are rampant, and the odds are higher that you'll get a counterfeit if it just comes from some shop that buys and sells from anyone who walks in and says "We've got a deal on..." as opposed to authorized distributors. So it could be a counterfeit, poorly made, impossible to tell until something like this happens and the manufacturer takes a look at it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 14:29   #9

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Hadn't gotten around to fixing the oil pressure alarm.
No oil pressure gauge either??
Seriously??
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 14:45   #10

The pressure gauge was working and reading relatively normal, and responding when the engine was eevved/turned on and off, just the alarm sender was non functional.
Old 03-05-2018, 15:08   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

What make/model engine?
Is the pressure and alarm in the same sensor?
If two separate sensors, are they in the same section of the oil flow though the engine?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 15:54   #12

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

If the oil pressure was normal, then the seizing may have been due to a coolant problam. The idiot at Volvo who designed the fresh water cooling system on the MD11C left no provision for automatically purging the heat exchanger if air got into the raw water intake. Different engine, but maybe a similar problem.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 15:59   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

If you ran the engine long enough to seize it you have damaged it. At a minimum I'd say it should have a hone & new rings but it depends on how bad it smokes,starts & rattles I guess. Dont like the big-ends/mains chances either. Sounds like a blocked oil gallery to me. Possibly a bit of crap was left inside engine. Need an lubrication system diagram with your sensors location displayed. Bad luck if your oil pressure sensor is before the filter which it must be if it didn't detect the problem ( assuming it was working)
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 16:24   #14

So the latest almost live update is:

Firstly its a Perkins 4.154.

Fitted new oil sensor and gauge, changed oil again after the quick run this morning and have had the engine running for an hour. The coolant is clean, there has been no water in the oil on either changes carried out today. Sounds normal, starts almost instantly, no sign of any smoke- either through the exhaust or out of the manifold/air intake, no rattling or vibration (other than what is expected)

Came up to temperature normally- over a period of about 20 minutes- and held at around 175 degrees, oil pressure is holding at around 20lbs at 1500 revs and rises to about 25 lbs at 1850 revs. Ive been advised to add some Lucas oil stabaliser and give her a good run under load, then change the oil again.
Old 03-05-2018, 17:40   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
So the latest almost live update is:

Firstly its a Perkins 4.154.

Fitted new oil sensor and gauge, changed oil again after the quick run this morning and have had the engine running for an hour. The coolant is clean, there has been no water in the oil on either changes carried out today. Sounds normal, starts almost instantly, no sign of any smoke- either through the exhaust or out of the manifold/air intake, no rattling or vibration (other than what is expected)

Came up to temperature normally- over a period of about 20 minutes- and held at around 175 degrees, oil pressure is holding at around 20lbs at 1500 revs and rises to about 25 lbs at 1850 revs. Ive been advised to add some Lucas oil stabaliser and give her a good run under load, then change the oil again.
Thanks for the update, sounds like you dodged a bullet! Glad it sounds ok & you dont need any more stripping down. Good luck with it. Lotta research leads me to believe oil additives are a waste of $$ but doubt it will hurt.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, oil, oil filter