Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2022, 00:37   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: No,You Can’t Rebuild That Engine,Or Can You?

How about this one:

You know if you needed an engine building, it might be cheaper to buy that guy a plane ticket for a week in the US and fly him in.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 02:22   #17

Boat: ISLAND PACKET SP CRUISER

My pre retirement work was restoring Veteran - pre 1914 - Vintage - pre 1930 - and Classic - over 25 years old Motorcycles.

We once got a 1927 side valve Norton running after it had been used to block a hole in a Welsh hedge for 40 years. The head and cylinder were U/S but the piston was re used, as was the bottom end and magneto.

The head and cylinder were damaged beyond repair by the guy who bought it from the farmer.

He tried to dismantle it. Hitting cast iron with a big hammer is bad for it........................

Once we had it our experience - and patience - allowed us to take it completely in bits.

When inspected few parts were needed. Sufficient oil had drained into the crankcase to keep the main and big end from rusting.
rotrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:34   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

In the battery video he is melting/welding the lead with some mind of electrode I can not make out. I wonder if it is an old spark plug or glow plug?? Any guesses?

The only “specialty” tool I see are the molds for casting. I presume they are cast iron themselves.

Fascinating stuff.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:14   #19
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askeeta View Post
Sometimes ,you have to ignore that word “can’t”.Watch to the end,fascinating.Maybe some parts got swapped out in between edits ,but an amazing effort with minimal tools
You can do anything if you have the time, skill, and/or money. Jobs like the one you posted are either done out of desperation (no other way to get what you need/want) or as a hobby, where effort/time is of no consequence.

I have a talented neighbor mechanic who likes very old BMW motorcycles. He literally strips them down to the last bolt, cleans and repaints them, and puts them back together with OEM parts (which often takes some searching)...its a hobby.

But more to the point, any rebuild is only as good as the mechanic that does the job!

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:54   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Looks are so deceiving ! That engine hadn’t been buried on the beach that long. Lots of marine growth on the outside but that engine came apart rather easily. Didn’t see him snap one bolt. And the internals looked amazingly clean, including the valve train. Paint and tags still on engine, had water not been in cylinders it might have still turned. I’m saying that engine was in the water less than two years. Diesels are tough engines. Notice though he ran it without the turbo, there was no bringing that back. Lol.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:07   #21

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

As previously stated, with enough money and time, pretty much anything is possible. Whether or not it was worthwhile is a different question.

And them there is the question: how long will it (said engine) run?
Old 06-03-2022, 11:43   #22

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

When I was in Vietnam many years ago, I found the car and scooter repair shops interesting. Usually a small shack, partially open to the air. A small collection of wrecked cars or scooters out back to serve as a parts department. Seemed like they could get almost anything running again - at least for a while.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:05   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

You gotta love it. I think it was the Afghans who built Kalasnikovs from scratch.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 13:01   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Having restored a few pretty sad vehicles in my youth, the video brought back memories.

Thanks for sharing. I found it fascinating.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 13:11   #25

Boat: Sabre 34II

Very impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askeeta View Post
Sometimes ,you have to ignore that word “can’t”.Watch to the end,fascinating.Maybe some parts got swapped out in between edits ,but an amazing effort with minimal tools
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 13:23   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
In the battery video he is melting/welding the lead with some mind of electrode I can not make out. I wonder if it is an old spark plug or glow plug?? Any guesses?
Wonder if its a stick of graphite? seems to burn when he lights it and then puts it down behind him. Alternator brush perhaps?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 18:34   #27
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

Fascinating stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wonder if its a stick of graphite? seems to burn when he lights it and then puts it down behind him. Alternator brush perhaps?

Pete
I'm 99.9% sure it is a stick of graphite (graphite rod). We used them decades ago for melting lugs together when connecting very large 2V cells in telecom battery banks.

You use it to 'short out' a few cells (say 8 or 10V) and the current flowing through the resistance of the graphite rod causes it to glow red hot, sometimes almost white hot. A tremendous heat source.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 05:23   #28

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
I'am a bit sceptical about that rebuild. How is it possible that no water got into the engine... At minimum one cylinder should be rusty. That said, it is interesting to see how that guy dismantle/reassemble some parts without specific tools.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, rebuild