Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2009, 07:18   #16

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOHATSU GURU View Post

Within the same frame size there was/is no difference in gearing between the Tohatsu and its Nissan and Mercury alternative labels.

It was more than 10 years ago that I looked into this, but IIRC, all Tohatsu clones (that I could find to compare specs, and I'm talking about 2 strokes only) except for the Mercury had the same gear ratios in the 2.5's and 3.5's. My Mercury 3.3 which was identical to my Nissan 2.5 (except that it had a pop off cowling and the forward/neutral shift) , without question had a different gear ratio. I must have first found this in sales literature because the ratio is not mentioned in the manual, but I confirmed it back then by counting prop rotations while observing piston motion. I no longer have the Nissan, but the Merc is down in the garage, so I can check that one again.

I found all this surprising, even disturbing since I could get no reasonable explanation from Mercury. Even as to why the 3.3 designation. Only nonsense like "the gearing is lower so it can put out more horsepower". That came from the dealer after i asked him to look into it.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 09:10   #17

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
The forward/neutral shifter on my Tohatsu 3.5 (2-stroke) froze up after a year, but I was used to not having any shifter on my older 3.5 After reading how much of a pain it is to free it up, I guess I won't bother.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2009, 16:20   #18

Your 3.5 B 2-stroke has a small access plate, with a couple of screws, so you can get to the gearshift lever to clean it. Total time to remove and clean...About 5 minutes.

Back to the gear ratio. Nope on the difference. Only one gear ratio. Memory can and does play tricks...At least that what a woman who claims to be my wife says The hp difference on the label was for marketing only. Absolutely no difference in hp. Your 3.3 was a 3.5.
TOHATSU GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 05:56   #19

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Tohatsu 3.5

Quote:
Your 3.5 B 2-stroke has a small access plate, with a couple of screws, so you can get to the gearshift lever to clean it. Total time to
Thanks T-Guru, However I have a 3.5A which has no plate. The bracket was a simple fix with a $2 catch from the hardware store The best improvement was the simple screw on the top of the fuel shutoff which keeps it from popping out of it's holder. The attached pic shows the Lawnmower filter. All in... I would/will get another Tohatsu when this one croaks. The parts availability is great and except for pesky details they will last. My wife (96 lb) can get our 8Ft hard bottom inflatable on plane with the 3.5 and it is easy to lift.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.5A Shift.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	12097
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.5A Fuel shutoff Fix.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	12098   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.5A Bracket.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	12099  

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 07:13   #20

"Thanks T-Guru, However I have a 3.5A which has no plate"

That message was for "donradcliffe" as he has a 2-stroke B model.

The four-stroke A model does not have an easy access port. Tohatsu has actually improved the fuel cock design now so that they can't pop out. Your rope issue is not normal and needs to have the cause determined. There may be a burr somewhere that is parting the rope.
TOHATSU GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 14:53   #21

Boat: 39 Bruce Roberts Pilot house Sloop
Re: Nissan 2hp and 3.5hp

Just inherited a Nissan 2...not running...now running...in/op fuel valve that needed fiddling and kill switch was missing the safety clip that holds it out...will make something to hold it...seems robust enough...have had a Honda 2 in the past and miss the 4-strokedness of it...I thought I was done mixing fuel years ago...not enjoy the rainbow colors if you know what I mean..
Daveineugene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nissan