Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 01:45   #1

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Refit Maintenance Questions - V'Penta 2040D

Hi all

Our motor has done less than 1000hrs – it is about 9 years old. I have to get motor out so as to clean up the hull under it during our refit. We did a comprehensive service when we bought the boat and there were a few issues, e.g. original secondary fuel filter (one attached to motor) was still in place, and 3 of 6 fins on impeller were broken, so maintenance might have been let go a bit.

Given motor is coming out, what should I do to it in terms of maintenance / checks / re-conditioning ?

thanks
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:41   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
Re: Refit Maintenance Questions - V'Penta 2040D

This would be a good time to clean and paint the motor. I would also check the mounts and see if they need replacement. Other than that there is not a whole lot on the underside of the engine that would need service. Just take this time to go over everything while it is easy to get to. Oh and check the exhaust elbow and manifold while you have it apart as well. And maybe if the starter is hard to get to in the boat you may want to take it off now and send it out for service. Thats about it just service anything now that is harder to do in the boat.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:30   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

If it doesn't have one already, while you have it out install a fitting and hose on the oil pan to make oil changes easier and cleaner.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:54   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I had a similar situation a few years ago and the mechanic suggested a new rear oil seal.

I would also look at cleaning the heat exchanger ( ours had been replaced) and replacing all the hoses.
Most engines bays create spots where access to the engine is difficult, look particularly at doing any jobs that would be hard with engine in situ.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I,just did the same thing.Removed the engine to clean the bilge.While out I,had the engine cleaned and repainted,replaced both water pump's,had the heat exchanger removed and serviced,the same with the oil cooler,replaced the starter,upgraded the altenator replaced all hoses thermostat flushed freshwater cooling system replaced stand pipe and exhaust hoses and fittings,replaced all fuel lines clamps.replaced all fuel filters & oil,raw water intake hose and clamps raw water thru hull and seacock.Cleaned the heck out of the engine compartment and bilge checked and replaced all hard to reach hoses for other hard to reach systems.Replaced Motor Mount's a biggie had shaft and prop trued and balanced replaced cutlass bearing.Basically anything that could go bad was renewed no better time.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 17:37   #6

1000 hrs on this eng means it is just past the break in period. But because of its age and your apparent lack of the previous owners prevenative maintance schedule, things like belts,hoses,impellers heat exchangers,zincs,transmission oil, eng oil and antifreeze would be the things I would test and change out as needed ( I would probably just change them all, anal guy that I am). This will give you a base line to start your personal program. Oil seals, starters,alternators and water pumps(fresh) will give you warning when they need replacing. Keeping good records, will help you plan your maintance.
Old 08-12-2012, 16:48   #7

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Thanks all for your really helpful comments. Cheers
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 17:35   #8

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

This is a great opportunity to label EACH and Every wire and hose attached to the engine. You will be very happy come time to replace stuff. While you're doing it, inspect said hose and wire to make sure it doesn't need complete replacement. Take tons of pictures, while the engine is inside the boat, and of the engine, every square inch, while it's out of the boat. It made my life much better later on when I was trying to remember how things were hooked up, and what was "normal".
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, refit