Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2014, 11:49   #1

New Boat Owner, Yamaha Two Stroke Issues.

Hi guys. New boat owner here. having an issue with my two stroke Yamaha 9hp.
was making my first attempt at sailing and running the engine in neutral the motor stalled out after a few minutes.

Now occasionally I can get a start but it stalls quickly.
Doesn't seem to be peeing.

I have found that this is a problem with the impeller. To fix this can I just remove the lower unit while the upper is still attached to the mount or should the whole motor be removed. The boat is on the water.

Upon a second startup I had the motor running strong for about 20 minutes. Still no pee.
almighty061582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 12:04   #2

Re: new boat owner, Yamaha two stroke issues.

Alright sounds stupid but it's not stalling at all now, turning on the first pull every time. But no pee.
Old 30-05-2014, 14:28   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Yamaha makes a 9hp 2-stroke? I haven't heard of this model.

Sometimes the pee hole gets plugged with a bit of crud or salt. Pull the hose off it and run the hole out with a piece of wire.

The pee hole is not the full output of the cooling water - it is only there for a visual indication of cooling water. Most of the cooling water exits through the prop hub with the exhaust gas. If you truly are not getting any water pumping at all, then the impeller is most likely the problem.

To access the impeller, you just pull the bottom of the lower unit off. The part containing the propeller. You won't lose oil or expose anything to water. The impeller and housing sit on top of the prop gear housing with the drive shaft going through it.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 14:43   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

If you ran it for twenty minutes I guarantee you it's getting at least some cooling water, otherwise you would probably have a very low maintenance engine, as in no moving parts.
Old 30-05-2014, 15:41   #5

so if it's getting water where is the water exiting? Down by the prop? It sounds like I'm going to have to remove the lower unit.might be a clogged pump or something. I took a wire to the tell tale, I'm not sure how deep the hole is supposed to be but I definitely hit the something maybe a an inch and a half in. Whether that's where it ends or I have a clog I'm not sure.
Old 30-05-2014, 16:01   #6

Yes, most of the cooling water exits with the exhaust through the prop hub. The peeing you see is a small diversion of part of that water. If you lift your top cowling off and look at the fitting on the bottom cowling where the water normally pees out of, you will see a small diameter rubber hose fitted onto a plastic piece. Pull off that hose and see if water comes out if it runs. If so, stick a wire through that plastic piece and squish the hose along its length. See if water comes out. If not, then either the water pump isn't working (but if you ran it for 20 minutes that seems unlikely), or there is a problem further up in the manifold where the pee originates (unlikely).

Disclaimer: I don't know your exact outboard, so maybe it isn't like I said. Most are.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 16-06-2014, 12:39   #7

Hey guys. I opened up my lower unit. Found that my impeller was destroyed. I put back together the outboard and noticed issues with shifting. The shift shift seems to be stuck. I'm not to worried about it being stuck, but what I am concerned about is the other end of shift shaft. Down by the propeller in the area it is housed in. The shift shaft seems to be floating around down there... Not necessarily. Connected to anything. Should this be the case? I assumed it was attached to the propeller in some way.
Old 16-06-2014, 14:29   #8

To disconnect the lower leg for accessing the water pump, you would (should) have uncoupled the two-piece shift rod about half way up the leg by loosening the coupling nut connecting the two halves of the rod.

When you did this, did the shift rod fall out of the housing when you lowered the leg? If not, it should still be attached properly. It really shouldn't come out of the gear housing. If you somehow managed to yank it free from the shift cam inside the housing, then you will need to repair that. Causing this would be very difficult.

Did you reconnect the shift rod coupling when you put it back in? Is that the loose part?

This coupling also has to be adjusted just right so that the gears will shift into forward and reverse without catching. Maybe you cranked it on full and now the shifter is bound? If so, loosen (or tighten) it until you can spin the prop with your hand in neutral, and it does not catch when shifting into forward or reverse.

Mark

Old 16-06-2014, 14:35   #9

Yes. I removed the coupling mechanism. Right under where the motor is housed. As you can see in the video I've provided below the shift shaft is really loose. Almost like it's not attached to anything near the propeller

I just hate to put everything back together and not have it shift properly.
Attached Files
Old 16-06-2014, 14:40   #10

I don't have the bandwidth for video.

Mark

Old 16-06-2014, 15:07   #11

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by almighty061582 View Post
Hey guys. I opened up my lower unit. Found that my impeller was destroyed. I put back together the outboard and noticed issues with shifting. The shift shift seems to be stuck...
Almighty, recommend you purchase an OEM repair manual for your motor before you do any more work on her. Do not buy a generic version such as Seloc or Clymer, pay the extra and get the OEM version.
It will pay for itself over and over again.

Go to the Yamaha web-site and search for your model to see a diagram. It may help you to have a visual reference.
Old 16-06-2014, 15:10   #12

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
If the coupler is not installed correctly the gear change will appear stiff. Also, if there is a reverse lock rod make sure it has exited it's hole and is not otherwise jammed.

The gear shaft often feels loose when disconnected because the end inside the gearbox presses down on a cam that pushes against the spring loaded dog clutch. When not preloaded by the gear selecting mechanism it feels sloppy.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2014, 19:22   #13

Re: New Boat Owner, Yamaha Two Stroke Issues.

Definitely gonna grab a manual tommorow. But in the meantime I got everything back together. I noticed the propeller is difficult to spin by hand when in gear. In neutral is fine I can spin the prop with one finger. I'm guessing this shift shaft has something to do with it?
Old 17-06-2014, 07:50   #14

No, you should not be able to spin the prop by hand while in gear.

Mark

Old 17-06-2014, 08:13   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You do realize that spinning the prop in gear is turning the engine? In neutral your not turning the engine.
Be careful, it's very unlikely, but possible the engine could start or at least "kick" if your turning the prop, of course that may be bad on your hand if it does.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote