Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-07-2008, 19:09   #16
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I hope PETA doesn't hear about this

Cereally, who in their right mind beLIEves this stuff. Little magnetically aligned bacteria....HUP TWO THREE FOUR.

BTW In the Navy Test they were using an algae z and a fuel polishing system....go figger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post

In short, the beasties that create the muck in the fuel tank have iron in their guts. The unit aligns them magnetically, which allows them to pass through the filter medium, and pass through the injectors to be given a Viking funeral. Any crud generated by them is trapped by the filters, unless, it too is reoriented and capable of going through the filter. Whatever happens, there is less nasty stuff getting stuck in the filter. It doesn't relieve us of the necessity of occasional maintenance on our tanks. Not necessarily a bad thing, unless you can't get to yours.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 20:39   #17

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Sadly, in my formative years, I studied zoology at UCLA. We learned that living creatures have structure that can be analyzed, in many ways. The presence of iron in creatures from bacteria to the brains of birds (and humans) is something that some folks were able to demonstrate. The effects of magnetic fields has been studied by many and found to contribute to effects that seem pretty strange and confusing. The relatively simple test of running bacterial clusters (and the goo they form) through a magnetic field, then measuring the results after passing through a particle filter, is something that others can replicate. It's the radical idea called the scientific method. That's what these tests purported to show. I'm open to new ideas that have some testable hypothesis. One of the weird things about this method is that it allows folks to explore, inquire and test ideas in ways that others can duplicate or disprove. Or simply deny because it doesn't fit their models of how things ought to be. Maybe you're right, maybe not. It had a solid ring to my ear, and to some other folks who have invested more time, money and consequence. I suppose it remains to be seen if it works. But then, I also believe in battery pulse conditioning, so go figure.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 23:11   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
While perusing my new Yanmar user's manual, I found an admonition to "NEVER add biocide" to the fuel (their caps). Does anyone here know why?
So far from the posts, it seems like it is now OK to biocide with a Yanmar. This interests me as I have just installed a new Yanmar, new fuel tank, new everything engine room-wise so I had been wondering the best way to the fuel system "new like".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Cereally, who in their right mind beLIEves this stuff. Little magnetically aligned bacteria....HUP TWO THREE FOUR....
Hmm not sure if I believe it or not myself, does sound strange but then again MRI testing also sounded strange to me when I first heard of it - imagine a big magnetic being able to align moleclues in the body and monitor how they switch back and use that for medical procedures.

I know it is not the same but just 'cause it sounds strange doesn't make it untrue.

Still, I remain skeptical (sp?).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 06:13   #19

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
Wotname,

I also recently installed a new Yanmar, with new tank, and everything.

I'm operating under the theory that if I start with a clean tank and system, add the proper amount of biocide at fill up, this should prevent any little creatures from forming in the first place.

From what I gleaned by this thread is that the problem happens after the little guys have taken over the stagnant fuel. Then, when you kill them after they have populated the tank, they create a hazard to the system with their little corpses. If you prevent them from ever reproducing and growing in the first place... well then, logic dictates...
Old 18-07-2008, 07:09   #20

Boat: Privilege 39
This magnetic bunk can be disproven easily. Take a magnet. Dunk it in your fuel. Do these supposed iron containing organisms stick to it?

This stuff isn't founded on science at all - they are preying on the FUD principle (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) to get make money. It's that simple.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 07:56   #21

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Scotte, you may be absolutely right. After all, a magnetic field ought to pull all the compasses out of boats and suck them to the center of the earth using your logic. Is it possible that alignment alone could have an influence on how particles behave? I'm simply proposing that new findings can be disturbing to some folks. The process of testing helps us move forward. Even successful debunking requires some deliberation and examination. Anyone can criticize that which is unfamiliar and disturbing. There are still people that believe that mirror-image molecules ought to behave the same. By the way, did anyone bother to read those publications before reacting?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 18:55   #22

Boat: Beneteau 41
Talking Re: Never use biocide with Yanmar?

Thanks for the thread guys. It has really helped me out. I have a new boat and was wondering what Yanmar would say about additives and I didn't have to call Yanmar. It was answered here. I love this forum.

"I've been told a successful marriage is a polite compromise."
CapRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar