Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 10:39   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel
Need advice on transmission

I have a freshly rebuilt Perkins 4.108. the original engine has a Borg Warner Velvet Drive series 1000 10-23-004 2.13:1 transmission. I was originally hoping to simply rebuild the tranny and use it. I have now been told rebuilding it is not possible. No parts. I called a few places and they confirmed, there is nothing they can do with it. It was working fine when I pulled the engine for rebuild. Just hate putting an old used trans behind a totally rebuilt Perkins 4.108.

I do happen to have a Hurth transmission as well from some parts I picked up from a guy. It is a Hurth HBW-10-???. I believe it to be mechanical, not hydraulic like the Velvet drive. It would require a slightly larger shaft but I believe if I purchased a longer shaft I could get it to work. With that said it is also used.

Question:

1. What transmission would you suggest for a Perkins 4.108 which closely resembles the original velvet drive?
2. If buying a newly rebuilt or new model is not an option should I consider a rebuild of the Hurth and use it? or should I just do the easy thing and put the velvet drive back in as is?

Thanks

Phil
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 11:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Need advice on transmission

I have no idea where you are but Anthony-Keats may be able to help you. I've had very good luck on older Velvet Drives from them.
Old 21-05-2019, 11:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I have no idea where you are but Anthony-Keats may be able to help you. I've had very good luck on older Velvet Drives from them.
Thanks for this! I called them and they were excellent to speak to. He confirmed my fear that parts are just no longer available for my model of Velvet drive. It did tell me to try transmission marine in Florida. I called and left a VM for them. Hoping for a call back.

Thanks for this advice!
Old 21-05-2019, 11:42   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

A hurth hbw10 is barely adequate for that engine, I seem to remember that it’s leisure rating is something like 45-50 hp.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 12:50   #5

Just spoke to Bill at Transmission Marine. Excellent service! He said, based upon the old trans, I would be better to move to either a ZF25 manual or hydraulic. The manual has an offset of 3.35" and the hydro an offset of 3.89". My original trans offset was 3.0". Those small differences in offset can easily be made up for in either engine mount adjustments or simply using a spacer under the engine mount. Both are 0 degree down angle.

I need to measure the length from the bell housing to the shaft coupling to see which one would fit better. As I understand it Hydro's are better than mechanical. Why do people prefer hydro over mechanical? I think I know but curious as to what people will say.

Thanks

Phil
Old 22-05-2019, 08:33   #6

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Hydro/machanical choices. Main thing I like is the much lower effort required to change gear. Makes manovering easier. The plus for macanical seams to be that they are lighter and more compact
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 09:53   #7

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

The hws hydro has a lot more parasitic power load than the hbw manual. I have the hbw 450 hurth gears, almost 2000 hours and only oil changes. You do have to idle down to shift. The hydro you can shift with out idling down.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 11:51   #8

Boat: Cal-40

Instead of purchasing a new longer shaft can’t you just install a small tail shaft behind your gear?
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 07:58   #9

Boat: GibSea 472

First: A HB250 will be largely adequate for your engine. As of the shaft length problem, it can be solved by the insertion of a plug between the shaft and the transmission. This 'plug' is in fact a simple drilled big 'washer' of adequate size. I'm sending you a Personnal message.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 10:28   #10

Elie,

I responded to your PM.

Tags
transmission