Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 23:07   #1

Boat: Unique 1400 14M
Send a message via Skype™ to brightontrader
Joysticks Issue, how do they work, and whose joystick is this

Have a new (to me ) 46' displacement steel yacht and amongst the many getting to know you issues is the dual joysticks.

The joystick only controls the diesel throttle and forward reverse and has 2 up/down buttons alongside it for rev control however these have stopped working and presently can only start engine and it give 50% power only with forward and reverse only from pushing in and out of gear with forward backward on joysticks.

Have searched on internet on how these joysticks work but so far have found zilch.

Any pointers on where to look appreciated...Also, do you recognise this joystick maker....
brightontrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 23:10   #2

Re: Joysticks Issue, how do they work, and whose joystick is this

photo didnt upload, try this one.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:48   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Here’s some joystick controls, to compare to yours.
Control joysticks - All boating and marine industry manufacturers - Videos

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:13   #4

OK thanks, from photo on link can see its Vetus, not surprising as bowthruster is vetus too although joystick doesn't control this.

Now have to work out how it controls revs on John Deere diesel, presumably has electronic controlled injection, no motor visible controlling a lever on injectors which is what I 1st went to look for, not having these new fangled joysticks on old boat........oh how simple cable morse it....how does one fix electronics mid atlantic I ask myself..Thankfully am in Brighton Marina..

Peter
Old 11-11-2014, 10:14   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightontrader View Post
OK thanks, from photo on link can see its Vetus, not surprising as bowthruster is vetus too although joystick doesn't control this.

Now have to work out how it controls revs on John Deere diesel, presumably has electronic controlled injection, no motor visible controlling a lever on injectors which is what I 1st went to look for, not having these new fangled joysticks on old boat........oh how simple cable morse it....how does one fix electronics mid atlantic I ask myself..Thankfully am in Brighton Marina..

Peter
Switch to old fashioned cables.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 22:28   #6

Yes Cadence, my 1st thought too, but would need a new injection block, £3500 at a guess, plus cables and installation, plus mess from installing cables. It seems these day you buy an engine designed for joystick control.

I have had a break from sailing for 15 years since I circum'd in a similar size steel boat, a lot has changed, I only used a garmin 45 and paper charts back then..now working through chartplotter manuals, PC hook ups on network etc, fortunately I had owned a network design business but had techis doing the tricky stuff, I just closed the big deals so had a rough idea of what we were selling, so thats the relatively easy bit..

This boat is basically an electric motorsailor, it even has the saloon table raising and lowering on a motor, not unlike the bowthruster, pic enclosed.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:17   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightontrader View Post
Yes Cadence, my 1st thought too, but would need a new injection block, £3500 at a guess, plus cables and installation, plus mess from installing cables. It seems these day you buy an engine designed for joystick control.

I have had a break from sailing for 15 years since I circum'd in a similar size steel boat, a lot has changed, I only used a garmin 45 and paper charts back then..now working through chartplotter manuals, PC hook ups on network etc, fortunately I had owned a network design business but had techis doing the tricky stuff, I just closed the big deals so had a rough idea of what we were selling, so thats the relatively easy bit..

This boat is basically an electric motorsailor, it even has the saloon table raising and lowering on a motor, not unlike the bowthruster, pic enclosed.
Now I have heard everything with that table. Keep the paper charts and compass with you along with todays gizmos. Years ago my loran C went down. Had to grab the paper and answer my sons question of,"What do we do now"?. We know were we are and know were we are going.

Didn't get the pic.? Best of luck with the electric boat. That said, is the helm electic servo? Is it possible the helm problem could be no more than with a slight difference in the real and helm rudder angle. If that made any sense?

Keep us updated.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote