Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16   #1

Boat: Island Packet 380
Island Packet 380 engine needs to come out

My yanmar 50 hp engine needs to be removed for repair. Conversations with Island Packet have not been helpful. I want to know how & what needs to be removed before the engine can clear the opening below the companion way stairs. Anyone with with experience pulling the engine on an IP 380 would be greatly appreciated.
Sandcastle380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:40   #2

Re: Island Packet 380 engine needs to come out

It ain't really ' rocket science ', Keep measuring and removing until it comes out . Usually manifolds and exhaust will be enuff .
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 17:10   #3

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

Would love to know why an IP380 engine needs to come out. Can’t be that old. Not surprised that the factory is of little help. That’s been my experience.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 18:06   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

I'm curious. I suppose with some boats could leave the tranny on, which would be faster of course. The only time I have done an R&R, we used the rig to hoist it onto the the dock. For that I removed everything , even the head. It worked so well, we re-installed it with the head installed.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 21:18   #5

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

I replaced the engine on my 37 and was able to remove the front of the engine compartment by removing the top trim on the galley side and removing the screws holding the front to the side panels. In the aft cabin there are a number of bungs that can be drilled out that cover screws holding the engine cover. Opening the engine front hatch you will notice a couple of bungs on the bottom that cover screws holding the front to the floor. Inside the engine compartment at the top port side there is a wooden cleat holding the front to the top, remove the screws. The front should come of easily. Hardest part is removing the trim I from the galley side. The whole job took less than a couple hours. Someone with a 380 advised me on how to do this.
Other people have taken parts of the engine until it fitted thru the hatch in front of the engine.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:47   #6

Most is us try to buy American but IP does its best to provide terrible customer service. This is yet another example. After my IP 44 purchase I contacted them many times with technical questions and failed to ever get any help. They have also failed to join the 21st century with digital operators manuals.
zmountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:56   #7

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

Not sure who at IP you guys are calling, but I've gotten prompt responses to all my questions. Most manuals are available on the Home Port website.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:46   #8

I am surprised about the IP 380 engine needing to come out and the lack of support from IP. BTW, IP is approximately 15-20min away from my work in St. Pete. I assume you have the boat in a yard or marina where you are going to yank the engine... Do they not have experience in removing engines? Rigging is a serious business. Whoever is going to remove it they better know what they are doing or damage can result.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:19   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32

Have to agree with AZSailor, I've had excellent response from IP.
jpstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 15:27   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I think IP as a lot of yards is not doing very well in this economy, sort of struggling along, not necessarily a full crew on hand.
Although to be honest, what did you expect from them? I doubt many there have any idea how to remove an engine, several I'm sure know how to install one in a boat in build, but that of course is completely different than removal as I feel sure the engine goes in before the furniture etc.
I've had very good luck with them finding a water tank level sensor, a shim "kit" to prevent rudder vibration and one or two other little things, but things like how do you remove an engine are actually outside of a builders experieince, as odd as that may sound.
Myself when the time comes to remove mine, I feel sure since engine access is so good, I'll strip mine to pretty much the bare block to remove the weight more than anything else

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 15:45   #11

I was thinking of getting an island packet, Now I'm reconsidering. Do you have any other suggestion for a blue water cruiser 40-50 ft, with a long keel and cutter rig?
Appcrapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 16:00   #12

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appcrapha View Post
I was thinking of getting an island packet, Now I'm reconsidering. Do you have any other suggestion for a blue water cruiser 40-50 ft, with a long keel and cutter rig?
Personally, I would not let an anecdotal account of someone purportedly having an issue with an engine replacement steer you away from a purchase.

I am no Island Packet shill, never owned one and I never care to but it is stupid to base a decision on a single post, or maybe it is being based on 2 posts as that is how many posts the OP has on this entire forum.

Anyway, there are a surprisingly large number of ways to remove an engine out of a boat, I most always start with a 6' tape measure with metal 1' and 3' rules.

Correction: OP has only made one post not two.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 16:36   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appcrapha View Post

That's a really silly thing to say.....in the grand scheme of things the IP yard could fold and you'd still be able to source 99.9% of the parts used to build it

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 16:52   #14

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

As I noted before I removed an engine from an Island Packet rather easily

Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 17:12   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If your 380 is anything like my 38, pulling the engine out should be less than a 1 day job for one person, and require very little disassembly, actually I believe a 380 and a 35 are very close to the same boat.
I don't have pictures, but I can pull three panels off of the engine compt., and get to everything comfortably while sitting on a cushion. Having among the best / easiest engine access is a big reason I bought this boat as I'm an engine type of guy, just my upbringing.

Get on the Island Packet forum, I'm sure several will be willing to tell you what to do, but truthfully it's such a straight forward process that it's just a simple matter of pulling the engine, now I haven't pulled mine, but I've pulled many engines from Bulldozers to Helicopters and this obviously one of the easiest.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, island packet