Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-12-2014, 16:33   #1

Boat: Jonmeri 40
Intake seacock & strainer in 5.5-inch bilge

I need to install an engine intake thru-hull, seacock and strainer in a bilge compartment that is only 5 1/2 inches high. I have an area around 9" x 2 1/2' to work with. This will supply a 1" ID hose that runs about 12' then through a SeaFrost condenser before the seawater pump on the Yanmar 4JH2E.

So far what I've come up with is the Forespar Marelon 93 Series OEM Smart Valve (combination thru-hull/ball valve) 1.25" (I will need to take half an inch off the handle for clearance in open position), and the Forespar MF810 water strainer with an adapter down to 1 inch. I will need to modify the large handle on top of the strainer, as reported height overall is 6.1". The strainer would be well under the waterline, but I would have hardly any hose that could clog or kink between the valve and the strainer (versus the long twisting run that would be needed to put the strainer above the waterline).

Any experience to share with these two Forespar products? Or perhaps someone has dealt with a similar situation and come up with a better solution?

Thank you for help with brainstorming,

Alii
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge