Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 14:05   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
In-Line Electric Fuel Pump for Bleeding?

To make bleeding my diesel fuel lines and filters easy, I'm planning on installing a small Purolator PRO243 fuel pump in my fuel line. A simple flick of a switch and fuel will flow along the lines and forcing our the air in my lines as at my injector pump.
As the pump will only be on when I'm bleeding the lines, will it cause any harm to the pump just sitting there with fuel flowing through it for hours on end? I've been burned by the engine trying to get at the fuel pump attached to the engine.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 14:12   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
re: In-Line Electric Fuel Pump for Bleeding?

It's a fuel pump, why would having fuel in it cause a problem? I vote it is OK.
Old 06-08-2012, 14:17   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
You can use valves to bypass it so you don't have to run it all the time. It's a great way to go.

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 14:23   #4

Once I'm done bleeding the filters, the pump will be turned off and just sit there with fuel going through it all the time the engine is running and the pump is off. Will it hurt what ever is in the pump to have it just sitting there not running but fule flowing through it.
Last owner installed a pump with switches to turn on and off the flow to the pump as well at on the main fuel line. Turn off the main line flow and turn on fuel line to the pump. Once done, turn off the line to the pump and turn on the main fuel line. It took 15 connections to set it up, all with the possibility of causing an air leak. This way, there are only 4 connections.
Old 06-08-2012, 14:49   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Why not bypass your fuel feed pump and leave the electric one on all the time?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 14:51   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

I fitted an electric lift pump to do exactly what you want. Unbranded box type. The sales assistant assured me that it was suited for diesel.

The first pump I fitted did not work at all.

I returned it and fitted the second pump. It lasted several years but the engine became increasingly hard to start without the pump being on. I suspected an air leak but could not find one.

However eventually I noticed fuel dripping from the pump. Eureka!!!

Now I've fitted a Walbro FRB-22 which is a heavy duty diesel marine rated electric lift pump. Engine starts and runs flawlessly again.

Moral of story:- Cheap fuel pumps on a boat are more trouble than they're worth.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 14:55   #7

One thing to watch out for is that some fuel pumps have a small mesh filter inside of them that can be another place that the fuel line can become clogged due to debris. If you're going to fit one try to find one without the internal filter.
Old 06-08-2012, 16:11   #8

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

What you want sounds like what I have, except mine feeds 2 engines (3GM30's). Works fine with pump "off" unless I am running both engines. Evidently, there is enough restriction that not enough fuel can flow for both engines.

The fuel tank in well above the engines, so static head there varying by fuel level. I haven't analyzied fuel level vs.rpms I can run, but I can tell that the fuel is restricted. Walbro pump.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 16:54   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

There is an electric fuel pump that runs all the time when my Cummins are running. It's not an odd idea. Cummins thought it was a good idea.

You probably want to make sure the pump is rated for continuous use.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 17:15   #10
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Ive had one inline for 8 yrs with no problems.its a cheapo maybe i got lucky and got agood one. only runs when bleeding. Final
bleed is still done cranking engine
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 18:15   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

In-line electric pumps are not unusual to find installed and they are quite reliable. I like in-line priming bulbs (manual pump). They don't need power, dead simple to install, and you can find them almost anywhere. Give 'em a few squeezes and your system is bled.

Also, either type of pump is handy if you are having fuel delivery issues (dirty fuel filter, etc) and just need the motor to run a few more minutes to ease out of traffic or onto a dock for repairs.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 19:20   #12
F51

FWIW I have a Walbro marine pump permanently mounted before my dual Racor 500 filters. Never had an issue starting or running the Lehman 120hp engine without the electric pump running. The engine lift pump can pull plenty of fuel thru the Walbro with no ill effects. Its only purpose is to assist in bleeding the secondary filters and injector pump. I dunno if it could be used in the event of a lift pump failure--most lift pump failures are a ruptured diaphram and I think then the Walbro would only squirt diesel into the crankcase.
F51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 19:39   #13

I know that some engines (eg Westerbeke) have electric pumps... but honestly, what's the big deal about manual bleed pumps?

I apprenticed for a bit with a boat diesel mechanic... in the spring we'd do primary and secondary fuel filter changes for 6 to 8 boats a day, mostly Yanmars, and you had to pump that little manual thingy to bleed it. Two minutes, tops, start the engine, it catches in 10 sec or less, done.

I'm just wondering why this is such a hassle that someone would go to the trouble of installing a bypassable electric fuel pump just for bleeding?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 19:56   #14

Because I don't have a Yanmar engine. My fuel pump is located down the side of the engine in a not to easy place to reach and if the engine is hot from running, it's one of the last places I want to put my hand.
Old 06-08-2012, 20:06   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
Because I don't have a Yanmar engine. My fuel pump is located down the side of the engine in a not to easy place to reach and if the engine is hot from running, it's one of the last places I want to put my hand.
Fair enough.

You could, um, change fuel filters when the engine is cool.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, fuel