Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 20:14   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
how to drain water out of engine sump?

I have 2GM20s with saildrives and a molded engine support as I am sure others have. There is a small (appox 10" sq) sump directly under the oil pan, about 2-3" deep. This tends to collect water (rain and minor leaks - I know, I am working on this) and fills up. I do not see any way to drain this to the deeper sump next to the saildrive where I have a small bilge pump. I cannot get a hand bilge pump in there and even my small vacuum doesn't get it all. Any suggestions? I have an oil leak on the port engine and still trying to determine where it is coming from - It is not the crosover oil line, not the filter or pressure sensor...thinkig it might be the main seal now.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 00:21   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: how to drain water out of engine sump?

Try pushing the end of a cloth down there. Maybe it will wick up and evaporate over a few days?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 00:27   #3

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Shop vac

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 28-07-2015, 01:46   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

Try using babies nappies to absorb it. Then you can dry them out and re-use later.
Great for oil spills too.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 02:44   #5

Boat: Compass 28

Use one of those cheapo little 12V in-line pumps in a bit if 1/2" hose. wire it to a ciggie lighter plug and just run it when you need to.

By the time it dies, you will have fixed your deck leaks. Won't you?

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:32   #6

turkey baster
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:38   #7

How big's the bilge twixt the stringers on a two-banger Yannie? 12 x 18 inches? So your volume of water is 1 x 1.5 x .25 CuFt = .37CuFt < 3 gallons?

Sop it up with a big sponge. If the water is clean, wring it out into your bilge. If it's not clean, wring it out into a bucket and dispose of it in "approved" fashion - whatever that may be where you are.

For five bux you can buy an el cheapo vane pump whose shaft chucks up in a battery powered drill motor. Job done in no time. But you still need the sponge for the last bit of water.

MyBeloved has a bilge fixation. She chucks about a cup of "Vim" general purpose household cleaner into the bilge every so often. The sloshing about of the impregnated bilge water while under way keeps the bilge from getting "yucky". MyBeloved's preferred scent is "Ocean Pure" :-)

I have an aversion to oil drippings in the sump under my Mitzi. I want to know that any that are there are NOT there because I've been sloppy. I haven't retrofitted the available mount that permits the oil filter spin-on spigot to be vertical. Mine is horizontal. Therefore I get drips in the sump when changing the filter. The remedy is a spray bottle with 1 cup of ordinary household ammonia to a quart of water with, say, 10 drops of dish-washing detergent in it. Spray and wipe and Bob's yer uncle. Keep the sump bright and shiny. Then, if you see oil there, you KNOW it's time to give the engine a good visual inspection.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:02   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

Do you have a vampire pump? Easy Vac - Vampire Fluid Sampling Pumps and Bottles
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:06   #9

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

Mityvac 7400 7.3 Liter Fluid Evacuator good to have aboard for lots of uses if have room and don't need the $75 for cerveza.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._detailpages00
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:07   #10

Oops. I was thinking internal oil sump. The vampire pump would get most but not all of the water/oil.
Old 28-07-2015, 09:11   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Vaccum pump. Several makes/models available. Both 12V and manual versions.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 09:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
Oops. I was thinking internal oil sump. The vampire pump would get most but not all of the water/oil.
My original reply didn't get posted before my oops post. I originally wrote that I use a vampire pump from easy vac. I bought mine at List diesel engine repair in Sausalito, CA after a diesel repair class.
Old 28-07-2015, 09:26   #13

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Thanks all -
TrentePieds - exactly what I need, I had not thought of this.
The PO had installed a vent directly over the engine ( stupid location), I had temporarily closed it off with duct tape but has been stepped on too many times. It is on the schedule to be epoxied over this coming WE. I should be done with the rotten decks this weekend - I am getting good at it now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rotten balsa.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	106240  
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 10:05   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Get a SuckUp Oil Extractor. It is the handiest item I have on the boat. It is also great for oil changes. Long skinny tube will get fluid out of anywhere.
Mojadito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2015, 03:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
I have 2GM20s with saildrives and a molded engine support as I am sure others have. There is a small (appox 10" sq) sump directly under the oil pan, about 2-3" deep. This tends to collect water (rain and minor leaks - I know, I am working on this) and fills up. I do not see any way to drain this to the deeper sump next to the saildrive where I have a small bilge pump. I cannot get a hand bilge pump in there and even my small vacuum doesn't get it all. Any suggestions? I have an oil leak on the port engine and still trying to determine where it is coming from - It is not the crosover oil line, not the filter or pressure sensor...thinkig it might be the main seal now.
There are oil absorption mats that you could stick in the sump to suck water / oil up. Leave one there and change it occasionally.

The oil leak I had in my 2GM20 SD came out of the crank handle shaft. That is an extension of the camshaft. It was very easy to change. I looked at the parts catalogue when I bought the seal and it was obvious how to change it. Take the pressed steel housing off first retained by 2 set screws, and as I remember there is a through bolt securing the dog clutch gear that engages the handle. Take out the bolt and remove the dog gear whatever it's called. Then you can easily prise the old seal out with a couple of small screwdrivers. Note which way around it is and put the new seal in the same way around. Reassemble. It was quite cheap maybe $10 but I can't remember exactly. It took less than 15 minutes to do, and now I could do it in 5 mins.
You mention the crossover oil line. It runs from the air intake side of the motor, then behind the block and up to the cylinder head carrying oil to the valve gear. It runs under the rear anode in the cylinder head so that when you change the anode salt water inevitably runs over the painted steel oil line eventually corroding it.
I have replaced mine as it was corroded but didn't leak. Now I spray it with lanoline occasionally and attend to it after changing the anode. If that were leaking I think the oil would spray out as its under pressure.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, water