Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 09:38   #16

Re: Heat Exchanger ONLY Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Good idea, Jim. Based on recent input on our C34 Forum, these heaters last anywhere from 10-15 years. Mine went 16. That's less than $25 a year!

Also, FWIW, two other things:

1 Don't leave the power on all the time. Just use it for anywhere from 15-30 minutes to heat the water, then turn it off. While there is a thermostat in most units, why "overheat" the water unnecessarily?

2 Get in the habit of using the HOT water faucet even if you don't have hot water - it keeps the water moving through the coils in the heater and avoid the rotten egg syndrome.
Coils in the heater? Arent they just a tank with a 120v electrode to heat the water? To move water thru the heat exchanger loop you need to run the engine... turning on the hot water doesnt do that....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:30   #17

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Coils in the heater? Arent they just a tank with a 120v electrode to heat the water? To move water thru the heat exchanger loop you need to run the engine... turning on the hot water doesnt do that....
He means use the fresh water from the heater so it doesn't get stale. Hot water grows critters easily and so using the water keeps them at bay.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:40   #18

Re: Heat Exchanger ONLY Water Heater

Ah... I see... the "coils" threw me off!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat exchanger, water