Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2009, 07:40   #1

Fresh Water Cooling

Hi all -am considering buying boat with 3gmd 22hp yanmar deisel.One of the previous owners has apparently removed the fresh water cooling system.This did not pose a problem to them as boat [34' iwrin] was being used in fresh water.I am going to be using the boat in salt water and need to have fresh water cooling.Does anyone have any advice or help as to what I need to get to change back over.I am mechanic by trade so I should be able to do this myself.Do I need to get kit and if so where? Thank you for any help.
riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 07:56   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You do not require FW cooling even in salt water. If you do want to have FW cooling you might be able to get a kit from Yanmar. I don't know your location but these folks are very helpful.
Lake Michigan and Great Lakes Sailing Information - Torresen Marine, Inc. - Muskegon, Michigan
Old 28-07-2009, 09:14   #3

Thanks for your reply. My only other inboard exp. was with twin 350 chevys and an i/o.Both of them were raw water cooled and it seemed I was always having exhaust manifold internal rust problems -ie rusting into exh. passages. Are these yanmars set up diff?
riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 09:59   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The exhaust elbows seem to clog up faster on raw water cooled boats. A cruising friend has a 3GM raw water cooled and other than the mixing elbow he's had no problems. Just take it off and soak in muriatic acid overnight, comes out clean as a whistle. I would think converting to fresh water cooled would cost a fair amount. I would not do it. It may be that the chevys were more of a problem as they're converted car engines rather than a diesel designed for marine use.

Tags
cooling, engine cooling water