Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 01:48   #1
cruiser

Four stroke 5-6hp for 25' SV, which make?

Need one to propel 25" Folkboat type sailing vessel, hang off bracket on stern. Will be used mainly as auxillary for in and out of harbor - not for iron spinnaker when wind fades when sailing.
Any one with good reports on any particular make / model?
Tohatsu, Honda, Mariner, Yamaha etc, or are they pretty much of a muchnesss? Internal or external tank? Reliability? They seem to all cost about the same new.

Thanks for any info.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:17   #2

Re: Four stroke 5-6hp for 25' SV, which make?

I'm pretty happy with my 4 stroke Honda. Had it in for regular servicing every year for a couple of years after I bought it to get the extended warranty but other than that never had to do anything to it other than the usual servicing.
delatbabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:33   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 40.5

I'm using a Tohatsu 6hp four stroke. It has always been easy to start(cold) but has been difficult to start when hot, I'm used to it so it's no great problem. My mechanic gave me advice to store and transport it upright and keep the fuel clean and fresh. My only problem over the years has been stale fuel.
It pushes my boat along pretty well, but of course steep chop can be a problem.
geoffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:57   #4

Boat: Mac 26X

Hondas really are more $$$ but you do get what you pay for!

That said, I bought a 9.8 Tohatsu new last year and it's been flawless. I paid $2100, the comparable Honda is $2700, not a lot different really. Also note that Tohatsu hakes the smaller motors for Mercury, evenrude, maybe others?

Edit: I just realized you are all in NZ/AU...so the above may not be true.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:41   #5

Boat: Choate 40 / Pearson Ariel

I have a Tohatsu 6hp sailpro on my 6000lb. Pearson Ariel, works great with an extra-long 25" shaft and the correct prop pitch for a sailboat. The Tohatsu replaced a Yamaha 4 that broke a cam gear (plastic) just outside Malibu rapids after motoring hard for 8 hours. The Yamaha always was lugging a bit pushing my heavy boat. My friend Hasse has a Yamaha 4 on her folkboat and seems pleased with it. She never motors much, though.
The Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:37   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vortex View Post
I have a Tohatsu 6hp sailpro on my 6000lb. Pearson Ariel, works great with an extra-long 25" shaft and the correct prop pitch for a sailboat. The Tohatsu replaced a Yamaha 4 that broke a cam gear (plastic) just outside Malibu rapids after motoring hard for 8 hours. The Yamaha always was lugging a bit pushing my heavy boat. My friend Hasse has a Yamaha 4 on her folkboat and seems pleased with it. She never motors much, though.
Thanks mate.
Any problems in keeping that extra long 25" shaft tilted up out of the water when outboard motor not in use?
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:54   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Look up Tohatsu 'Sail' models - longer shaft, prop optimized for a sailboat, etc..

6 h.p should be enough, you may go for a smaller one if you only need the engine now and then rather than to beat into strong currents.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 17:09   #8

Boat: Choate 40 / Pearson Ariel

No problems keeping it out of the water as I have an outboard well. Doesn't tip up at all, but it's just light enough to remove it underway and take it below. That improves sailing performance, as you well know. The 25" shaft is great in a big sea cuz the prop never cavitates as has happened on other setups I have used. The Tohatsu is the same as the Nissan and I think the Mercury, just a bit cheaper.
The Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 18:55   #9

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Hate my Honda 4 stroke 5 hp. Starts hard, constantly needs carb cleaning because gunk it gets from Ethanol. Last Honda anything I buy.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 18:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Cat View Post
Hate my Honda 4 stroke 5 hp. Starts hard, constantly needs carb cleaning because gunk it gets from Ethanol. Last Honda anything I buy.
I don't have one, but you're the first person I've ever heard of that didn't love their Honda. I'm not picking a fight here, but have you considered issues besides the engine? Bad gas, poor maintenance, etc? Just saying...who doesn't want a Honda?
Old 13-02-2013, 19:17   #11

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

What Gordo said.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 19:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
I don't have one, but you're the first person I've ever heard of that didn't love their Honda. I'm not picking a fight here, but have you considered issues besides the engine? Bad gas, poor maintenance, etc? Just saying...who doesn't want a Honda?
I don't blame you for doubting my maintenance etc. i thought i was paying a premium for a superior product. I am a meticulous maintainer of all things mechanical. I completely drain all fuel every season and change oil, lower unit, spark plug and gas filter. It was purchased new and broken according to the book. I use an ethanol disperser. I have rebuilt numerous small engines and have no problem fixing the things (a particular weakness of this engine IMHO is the carb gaskets which have an apparent propensity to dissolve and gum the needle valve) that have occurred with this engine, it's just that this thing has a problem every couple weeks. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I know a number of folks who have had similar problems with their Hondas. I have had 4 outboards in my 35 years of boating and this is the only one I have had this problem with. My experience is an "n" of 1, so it may not be fair, but I can disassemble the carb blindfolded now. Ethanol presents a challenge to be sure but this engine has not been not dependable.
Castine, Maine
Old 14-02-2013, 07:12   #13

Well, it is what it is! I'm shocked, but if you know several other people, well maybe there's an issue. I'll google around and see what I find. Were the others having problems 5hp as well?

Rather odd that I feel the need to defend a product I've never owned lol
Old 14-02-2013, 08:08   #14
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I had a yamaha 9.9 hp thrust 4 stroke on my 1st sailboat a 23. I'd highly recommend it. Ran it for 10 yrs bought used and still ran when I sold the boat. You should run an extra filter in the line. I would try to avoid ethanol in any outboard but didn't have issues with that one.It charged 12amps, electric start and ex long shaft. Hit a sweet spot about 1/4 throttle that would push me hull speed all day long on very little gas,
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 08:30   #15

As I noted, others folks have commented that their Hondas were hard starting and found their way to the shop too often when they saw me working on mine at our town dock. I discounted these reports because I generally think most folks abuse outboards with poor maintenance and high expectations. Also, we are slowly learning the pernicious effects of ethanol in a marine environment (IMHO, don't imagine you can store any significant amount of gas with ethanol over the winter even with a stabilizer), from helping folks fix their outboards in my years out cruising, I did not see huge differences in engineering design or workmanship among the brands I worked on (Nissan, Yamaha, Mercury). But I was expecting more reliability than I have experienced with this engine because it was a Honda and because I am meticulous about maintenance. Unlike my other outboards it never starts on the first pull. It takes enormous pressure to shift. I now carry tools in my dinghy because I can never be sure when it is going to stop. Maybe I just got a lemon.
But I sure won't buy another.
Castine, Maine