Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 09:28   #1

Ford Lehman 4d61

i have a 4d61 ford lehman in a 42 vagabond ketch....i would like to find spare parts for my engine....very difficult to find ....also would like info regarding re-powering my vagabond ...also any info regarding experience with removing the old fuel tanks
tsunami42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 09:34   #2

Re: ford lehman 4d61

american diesel in virgina is the place for lehman parts
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 09:42   #3

ive spoken to them many many times....they cant get most parts for my 4d61 any more.....i need a starter, injection pump, both water pumps, fuel pump....ive even checked in the UK with no luck....if i cant locate someones used parts i will be forced to re-power if i loose a starter or the likes......thats why i would like personal info from someone who has repowered a vagabond 42 or someone replacing a 4d61 and wants to sell some of the engine parts
tsunami42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 21:13   #4

Hi tsunami.
I have the same boat with the same issues on the engine.
If you repower your boat, I would buy all of the parts on your Lehman.
I have the same engine and could use a spare lift pump, starter, injectors, water pump and I would even take the transmission as well. I am outfitting for a 3 year world cruise and don't want to repower. Good luck to you and if you do find somewhere to get spares, can you let me know?
Thank you very much
Dan Ducharme
danducharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Re: Ford Lehman 4d61

This engine is built on a Peugoet diesel engine, not a Ford diesel. The same basic engine was marinised by Volvo but parts are very hard to find in the States.

Use a modern diesel that produces about 50HP at under 3,000 in the Vagabond42. This will move the boat better than the high speed Lehman / Peugoet.

Stanley
NCboatrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 20:39   #6

Boat: Brewer 12.8 Wandering Spirit

I may be way too late to help but here goes The engine is a Peugeot 2112 cc XD90 Indenor engine as used in the Peugeot 504 and most Peugeot parts are directly usable for your engine. American Diesel USA, Lancing Marine in UK and Greg Lilienthal of Bomac Marine USA are 3 key resources. New starters are available but for about $400 when last I looked but if you have an old one all internal parts are available, fuel injection pump....I have one spare but it likely needs a rebuild, water pump for the engine fresh water is very available, made by GMB and others they may be had from the water pump warehouse and others. the Johnson saltwater pump is likewise available on the internet. I bought most of my parts from the UK as this engine was used in the Ford Classic. If you get really ambitious India used this engine a jeep like vehicule and still make it new for use in irrigation pumps and generators. If you need any other Lehman parts I may have a spare but I am slow to respond because my boat is in Honduras!
martingaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 18:04   #7

Boat: Ericson/Gulfstar 50/ Noresman 447

I am in a very similar situation to everyone else, I need a major rebuild including Pistons rings bearings etc, I am in Malaysia , an either rebuild if parts are available or re power.
If I go down this track (re power) I will have a complete motor for sale.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 21:14   #8

I believe these engines are use in the Peugeot 504, parts available from. Peugeot World Brisbane. Aust.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lehman