Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 11:34   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Flywheel / Alternator - Mercury Odyssey

Some of you may know that I traded in a Yamaha 9.9 that was too heavy for my boat for a nice new little Mercury 5hp. Before I traded it in I called Mercury to see if it would meet my needs. I asked about weight, prop pitch, fuel consumption and whether or not I could easily install an alternator without any special tools.

The customer service guy said "oh sure it's not a problem just order this $60 rectifier and you will be on your way." So I traded the Yamaha in, bought the rectifier kit and opened it (there is a sign on the bag that says "if you open this bag you will not be able to return it") well the directions in the bag say "you cannot use this unless you have the alternator kit". I call Mercury - "Oh sir I'm sorry I can see how you were confused but you need to buy this $40 kit too. Fine no big deal, I buy the kit.

I went to install it today and got the pull cord unit out of the way. Right there on the flywheel it says torque this screw to 46 lbs per ft or something. So now I need to have a torque wrench $60 to $100. I was all flustered so decided to take a break and go buy some oil and stuff for my new outboard. The chandlery is also a Mercury dealer. The guy there says oh you don't need a torque wrench. I walk out of there elated. I get back to the boat pull the bolt that is keeping the flywheel on off and hmmm. The flywheel seems really stuck on there. Another phone call to Mercury Marine - "Well sir it would seem that you need to buy a flywheel puller that will be $267 sir."

Grrrrrr. So I called my friends at the chandlery up the street thinking I am outgunned and that I should just have them install it - "well we have a 6 week wait list and it will be $200 for 2 hours of work. Jesus this is really adding up. I basically went from spending $60 to spending upwards of $300 in about an hour.

Does anyone know of a generic flywheel puller that isn't $267? Is pulling a flywheel a precision job that I need to leave up to the professionals? Is this even a job I can even do myself or should I just eat the $200 and have the guys at the chandlery do it?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 13:49   #2

Boat: grampian 26
flywheel puller

Pulling a flywheel requires a certain amount of mechanical skill. I have no idea of your skill level so it is hard to advise you as to your best option. I have pulled small flywheels without the use of a puller when non was available.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 14:27   #3

how did you pull the fly wheel out?
Old 10-06-2010, 16:18   #4

to pull the flywheel

back the nut off enough to cover the exposed threads of the crankshaft. This part requires an extra set of hands. Using two pry bars or large slotted screw drivers place them under the flywheel where you have good leverage and will not damage anything.The helper must exert upward pressure while you strike the nut. Strike the nut sharply with a soft faced hammer or use a ball pein with a piece of aluminium protecting the nut. The trick is to not damage the nut or crank threads. The flywheel is held in place with a woodruff key and the shaft is tapered. It takes very little movement to break the taper free and the flywheel will come free. Do not lose the woodruff key
Old 10-06-2010, 16:42   #5

I saw a PBS special on where they make all of the woodruff keys. How does one going about getting the flywheel back on? Do you think I could do this with a gear puller? Posi-Lock 104 3-Jaw Gear and Bearing Puller
Old 10-06-2010, 16:51   #6

flywheel

The flywheel goes back on the same way it came off.Just make sure the key lines up with the keyway and isn't forced out of place when reinstalling. Look at the top of the flywheel to see if there any tapped holes. Some flywheels require a puller that threads into the aforementioned holes.The puller shown may or may not work. The arms must spread far enough apart to allow the hooks to pull straight up and must be thin enough to go under the flywheel. The puller advertised has a maximum five inch spread so you must know the flywheel dia. to know if it will work. Seems pricey for one job unless you plan on going into the business.
Old 10-06-2010, 17:33   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Many autopart stores offer tool rentals or tool borrowing (you pay for the tool, then they give it back to you when you return it). You should be able to get your hands on a puller that will work.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 18:27   #8

If we had one of those places around here i would never buy another special purpose tool.
Old 10-06-2010, 19:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
If we had one of those places around here i would never buy another special purpose tool.
I realize you are in Canada...

But, here in the US, many chains like Autozone and O'Reilly and Home Depot have tool rentals/loaners as part of their business.

Alternatively, go to any indy auto repair shop, and they should be able to pull it for you.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 13:06   #10

As I look online I see a lot of guys whacking at their flywheels with rubber mallets, is this something I can do? Also is it bad to spin the flywheel while it is still attached to the crankshaft? Am I doing bad things to the pistons etc?

Tags
alternator, mercury