Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2021, 09:19   #46

Re: Farymann Help(if needed)

I got hold of the impeller and had to make my own o-ring to cover the pump. But the stuffing box inside the impeller is leaking. So water gets into the engine. So I have searched everywhere but not found it. It is made of rubber and the size is 12x27x5 I put pictures on it. Is it possible to get one?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	245923

Name:	IMG_0607.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	245924
Steffo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 14:46   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo60 View Post
I got hold of the impeller and had to make my own o-ring to cover the pump. But the stuffing box inside the impeller is leaking. So water gets into the engine. So I have searched everywhere but not found it. It is made of rubber and the size is 12x27x5 I put pictures on it. Is it possible to get one?
Attachment 245923

Attachment 245924

dont know where in the world you are but a bearing supply place should be able to find one. failing that try a place that rebuilds pumps or sells mechanical seals.
good luck
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 14:50   #48
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I agree with Compass790. I did a quick google search for 'lip seal' and 'oil seal' etc.

While I couldn't quickly find a 12x27x5, I did find 12x27x7 so if the extra 2mm thickness can be accommodated, they should be easy to source.

However a bearing and seal supply shop will probably find the exact one for you.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 20:30   #49

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Hello All- I have a Contessa 26 with a Farymann 18w- I need the head for that motor.

If anyone can suggest where I might find this Unicorn it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

https://farymann.com/engines.php?page=18wMarine
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 02:07   #50

Boat: Island Packet 40

Years ago I put a Faryman in a machine I built because it had a very good match to the power input characteristics required for the hydraulic pump I designed into the machine. I was familiar with the brand because I'd seen them in a number of boats but was surprised to find when I went to buy parts that the biggest uses of the engines were actually folks who needed them to drive hydraulics for cement trucks and bitumen laying machines etc.
Old 29-09-2021, 11:28   #51

It is not possible to buy this part. So had to buy a new water pump
Old 29-09-2021, 12:18   #52

Boat: JJ Taylor Contessa 26

Thanks to all for your information and help- it's much appreciated!
As an update, I took the head to a diesel head/cylinder shop. The long time owner said that if there is enough metal to work with he will be able to insert a plug, hone it to match the head surface, and then pressure test the head. I should know in a few days if his repair was successful.
On another note, I have not yet found any reference to a sacrificial anode in the Farymann 18W raw water cooling system. I did note quite a bit of corrosion though, so I suspect that an anode is not there. I will try to find the original owners manual for that motor and see if there is any reference to an anode in the cooling circuit.
Cheers!
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 13:17   #53

Boat: Admiral 31

Is this of any help?

https://www.dedieseldokter.nl/c-4787...nn-onderdelen/
admiral 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2021, 15:21   #54

Boat: JJ Taylor Contessa 26

Thanks- maybe, if I can find the "English" version button on that website- my German is sadly lacking!
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 07:43   #55

Actually it is in Dutch

https://translate.google.com/

this usually works for me.
Old 30-09-2021, 15:03   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Thanks to all for your information and help- it's much appreciated!
As an update, I took the head to a diesel head/cylinder shop. The long time owner said that if there is enough metal to work with he will be able to insert a plug, hone it to match the head surface, and then pressure test the head. I should know in a few days if his repair was successful.
On another note, I have not yet found any reference to a sacrificial anode in the Farymann 18W raw water cooling system. I did note quite a bit of corrosion though, so I suspect that an anode is not there. I will try to find the original owners manual for that motor and see if there is any reference to an anode in the cooling circuit.
Cheers!
good luck with the head repair. Let us know if it passes.
If you have an all copper head gasket & cant get another you can try just annealing it but I'd use gasket cement as well.
If you cant get another head I would try what this bloke did. ( see link) You would have to think about how to do it & you would have to have more epoxy on the inside of the head so it cannot blow it through. You couldnt rely on adhesion it would have to be a taper if you see what I'm getting at.
It wont work on the valve seat as it would burn away but outside of that worth a shot I reckon .
Of course thats on a petrol engine with much lower compression but the tensile strength of the cured material is plenty & if it can survive the temps on an air-cooled engine should be fine on a water cooled one.
I like to experiment but YMMV
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:34   #57

You can download the workshop manual for the 15W/18W from here

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...iesel-15w.html

Old 01-10-2021, 01:37   #58

Also the operators manual

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82...5w-Series.html
Old 02-10-2021, 01:02   #59

I bought a new water pump
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0192[2603].jpg
Views:	43
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	246275  
Old 11-12-2021, 15:33   #60

Boat: Cascade 36

Greetings!
I have a Farymann R30 V-twin in my Cascade 36. It has been very reliable in the 15 years that I've owned the boat, and only has 1900 hours since new, 52 years ago! Two years ago, the rubber water intake manifold finally rotted out, and with no parts available, I managed to fabricate a new one from various sizes of hose and multiple hose clamps. Then the starboard cylinder cooling jacket plugged up. I pulled the head off and removed most of the sediment with screwdrivers and coat hangar wires. Then I reinstalled the head and back-flushed that side with muriatic acid for 15 minutes. The engine cools very well now. Now I have a new problem: The injection pump has a cold-start button that one pushes into a detent, which makes starting almost instantaneous. The detent has stopped catching the button, and now I have to crank for several seconds before the normal fuel schedule starts the engine. I'm afraid to remove or disassemble the injection pump without help or advice. Any experts or advice?
Saunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
farymann