Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2021, 01:18   #31

Re: Farymann Help(if needed)

Hi I have a Farymann 15W. Is it possible to buy an impeller for it? .Then I wonder if there should be an o-ring and gasket on the cover cover on the water pump. Is there a place to buy the thermostat?
Steffo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 04:45   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo60 View Post
Hi I have a Farymann 15W. Is it possible to buy an impeller for it? .Then I wonder if there should be an o-ring and gasket on the cover cover on the water pump. Is there a place to buy the thermostat?
Don't know the exact type you need, but Farymann used pretty standard components for cooling. I took my plate and old impeller to my favourite engine mechanic and he pretty quickly had the correct one. I even got the lip-seal kit I needed for my exotic Fraymann.

As to the thermostat, it depends on the motor-block you have. Measure it and ask your motor spare pat supplier. Most likely they even have it on stock, even if it's for a totally different engine. I've been told that if you're in warm areas, you can also run the engine without thermostat. Then it'll have a little more cooling in the beginning.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 05:38   #33

This is a good manual https://www.maritimepropulsion.com/files/pdf/1001279
It is not a parts manual however,,look at the pict of the upgraded water pump it is a Johnston pump Mastry engine center in FL used to carry parts its worth a call you are going to have to do a lot of research to get the parts manual but the good news is that a lot of the parts are interchangable...BTW the engine is rated to operate w/o the thermostat...also try Farrymann America which is marginally helpfull keep at it!
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 08:15   #34

Boat: JJ Taylor Contessa 26

Hello All- I have a Contessa 26 with a Farymann 18w- I need the head for that motor.
If anyone can suggest where I might find this Unicorn it would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 08:30   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Hello All- I have a Contessa 26 with a Farymann 18w- I need the head for that motor.
If anyone can suggest where I might find this Unicorn it would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers

I hate to ask the obvious... but did you try Farymann? They shutdown making them a couple years back but they likely still have parts...

https://farymann.com/engines.php?page=15w-18w

The Contessa came, originally, with the K34 which is pretty much identical to the 18W... so you should be able to find parts.

There was an amazing mechanic that had worked with them for years... Entec West. I can't find his website at the moment, but with some googling you can probably call him as well... if anyone knows, he does. (Assuming he is still in business).

J.
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 08:53   #36

Thanks for the reply- no I did not try Farymann. After reading a number of threads around the internet I had assumed that they were shut down completely and were no longer providing support for those engines, parts or otherwise.
I will try that link and see if I have any success
Thanks!
Old 24-09-2021, 09:04   #37

Quote:
Thanks for the reply- no I did not try Farymann. After reading a number of threads around the internet I had assumed that they were shut down completely and were no longer providing support for those engines, parts or otherwise.
I will try that link and see if I have any success
Thanks!

That is very possible. A couple years back, I tried to reach out to them and they responded with one sentence, curt responses that were not helpful and indicated that the factory had shut. However... the web page is still up, and they might have parts available.

The old contact details are easily found but the website redirects to another company now. I wonder if Dave has sold or gone out of business???
JordanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 09:48   #38

I received a reply right away- unfortunately the information was as expected.

“Sorry, these are no longer available. Farymann factory went out of business
a few years ago. It is only what few parts I have left on the shelf.“

Best Regards,

Mike Jay
Customer Care
Farymann North America
8595 Pelham Rd Suite 400-112
Greenville, SC 29615
864-627-8143
Fax 864-627-8144
Old 24-09-2021, 12:31   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Cheers
I cant help with the parts but what is wrong with the head? What I'm getting at is are you certain it cannot be repaired? Most things can be.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 14:49   #40

There is a pin sized hole very near to the exhaust seat. A needle will go through this hole to the water jacket. There is no cylinder compression as a result. I have not yet found a viable repair.
Old 24-09-2021, 16:15   #41
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
There is a pin sized hole very near to the exhaust seat. A needle will go through this hole to the water jacket. There is no cylinder compression as a result. I have not yet found a viable repair.

Can you attach a photo?
I would be tempted just to drill it out & tap it for a bit of ss threaded rod & put Loctite 272 on it. But of course it depends how close you mean by very close. A machine shop may be able to put in a new sleeved exhaust seat to spread out past it.
I saw a post somewhere about a bloke who repaired a crack in the cylinder head of his volvo diesel with JB weld & it lasted 7 years.
Old 24-09-2021, 17:00   #42

Yes - here is what I have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	153B5C17-A879-4445-A8BC-315E19AE0B54.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	445.6 KB
ID:	245896  
Old 24-09-2021, 18:39   #43
Marine Service Provider

Yes I'd try getting an ss or bronze screw a bit bigger than the hole & a drill & tap for it.
Screw it in with strong threadlocker & cut the head of the screw off & die grind it flush As long as you dont encroach onto the actual seating area of the valve you should be ok.
At the end of the day you dont have much to lose by trying that if you cant get a spare head. I'm confident it will be fine if there is enough good metal left for 5 threads or so..
Old 24-09-2021, 19:46   #44

Thanks for that suggestion- I will give it a try and let you know how it goes
Cheers!
Old 24-09-2021, 21:26   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks for that suggestion- I will give it a try and let you know how it goes
Cheers!

Yes please report back, it's always interesting to know the result.
When I was working near San Fran. Ca. a ladyfriend had a farymann, cant remember what model but it was 10hp & I struggled to get parts for it 20 years ago.
Luckily I only had to rebuild the water pump so could get bearings & seals from a bearing supply. It was much smoother/quieter than our single cylinder yanmar but I thought the marinisation didnt look as though it would have the yanmars longevity.
Your success will depend on how bad the corrosion or casting fault is.
Good luck

Tags
farymann