Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 03:30   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Enough cooling water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
'That doesn't sound quite right..'
'No its OK'
'OK, whatever...'
BANG!!!

Mention it to the skipper.... what happens after that isn't your concern.
I will do, if people think the flow rate I describe is too low.

As it is, the owner did not get to hear me the first time as I was stomped on by the crew member. But hey, the crew member could be completely right, she has sailed on the boat more than I have.

Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:40   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Flow rate? Dunno... mine belches and pharts ... blows steam.... soot .. and assorted smoke at start up... makes a hell of a racket....

But I would appreciate it if someone said ' not as noisy as usual there Pingo..... is everything OK ??'
Old 02-01-2014, 03:41   #18

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Did you choose the crew, or did the "skipper" ? 'nuff said. When are you goin' back.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:34   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> what do we think is NORMAL flow for a small raw water cooled diesel

Whatever keeps the engine at it's operating temperature - which can be easily checked by pointing an IR thermometer at various points on it.

They are so cheap these days that they should be in everyone's toolkit. Here's one from SupercheapAutos:

SCA Infrared Thermometer - Supercheap Auto Australia

Even cheaper if you buy one on EBay.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:00   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I would have been more confident in the knowledge of that particular crew member if she did not refer to the lines as ropes, talked about left and right instead of port and starboard, ........
You wouldn't be able to stand sailing with me. On my boat we call things whatever we what as long as everyone can understand the meaning. Sometimes that means while pointing at something you hear "pull on the thingie".

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone asking if something was "normal" on my boat as much as someone who wanted to be all salty by calling things by their "real" name and "correcting" me each time.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:47   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

If you know the owner separate from sailing on her boat I'd call her and let her know you are concerned. If its a gender thing then ask the wife to call. I wouldn't just ignore it because engine repair is not a cheap thing for someone who doesn't do it themselves. Just by your description it doesn't sound like there is enough circulating water.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:55   #22

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You wouldn't be able to stand sailing with me. On my boat we call things whatever we what as long as everyone can understand the meaning. Sometimes that means while pointing at something you hear "pull on the thingie".

I wouldn't have a problem with anyone asking if something was "normal" on my boat as much as someone who wanted to be all salty by calling things by their "real" name and "correcting" me each time.
Aloha Sailorboy,

Your system for nautical language is ok as long as you only sail with the same crewmembers all the time. If you have a sailor aboard who knows nautical language and doesn't know one "thingie" from another you'll have to do a lot of clarification to bring them down to your standards.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:02   #23

Quote:

I am not some kind of snob about this but to my mind marine terminology is there to avoid ambiguity when time is tight. I feel much more comfortable with a skipper or crew member who uses the correct terms and I love the ones who can teach me a few more.

Matt
Old 02-01-2014, 12:06   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Did you choose the crew, or did the "skipper" ? 'nuff said. When are you goin' back.
Owner chose the crew and good for her. Not my place to tell her who to sail with and if she invites us again I would happily say yes, but not if she also has the regular crew. The owner made us feel most welcome but the crew made us feel like dirt. Even my wife felt this way which is most unusual for her.

Matt
Old 02-01-2014, 12:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
If you know the owner separate from sailing on her boat I'd call her and let her know you are concerned. If its a gender thing then ask the wife to call. I wouldn't just ignore it because engine repair is not a cheap thing for someone who doesn't do it themselves. Just by your description it doesn't sound like there is enough circulating water.
I have slept on it and woke up feeling confident it was just not enough water too.

The owner did not express what I saw as anti male sentiment so I feel I can tell her about my concerns. And my wife thinks I am wrong about the anti male thing. She thinks it was anti "foreigner", as she felt the hostility towards herself as well.

Matt
Old 02-01-2014, 12:15   #26

On the plus side I did achieve one thing on the boat. I spotted a broken sail batten that was chewing its way through the batten pocket and brought that to the owners attention before it could do too much more damage.

Now I have to decide whether to mention the fact that the steering feels like something is about to come adrift. Heaps of play where there shouldn't be and a big dead spot when swinging the wheel from port to starboard.

I think I should stick to my own boat.....
Old 02-01-2014, 15:28   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Sailorboy,

Your system for nautical language is ok as long as you only sail with the same crewmembers all the time. If you have a sailor aboard who knows nautical language and doesn't know one "thingie" from another you'll have to do a lot of clarification to bring them down to your standards.

I'm flexible and when needed can modify my language to "the thingie on your right"

We call thingies most by their "correct" name, but aren't the boat language police about it. BTW - both my wife and myself are ex-Navy, maybe pleasure sailboaters need to lighten up
Old 02-01-2014, 17:05   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I have slept on it and woke up feeling confident it was just not enough water too.

The owner did not express what I saw as anti male sentiment so I feel I can tell her about my concerns. And my wife thinks I am wrong about the anti male thing. She thinks it was anti "foreigner", as she felt the hostility towards herself as well.

Matt
The other side to this is, if the owner was aware of hostility towards you and your lady and did nothing to stop it, then maybe you should leave her to the "advice and knowledge" of her other friends. If she was not aware, then please ignore previous sentence.

Coops.
Old 02-01-2014, 17:30   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
The other side to this is, if the owner was aware of hostility towards you and your lady and did nothing to stop it, then maybe you should leave her to the "advice and knowledge" of her other friends. If she was not aware, then please ignore previous sentence.

Coops.
Hmmm, hard call, not sure to be honest. But I feel for her, she lost her husband recently and now is dependent on the assistance of others to sail her boat, which she dearly loves, and probably has lots of positive memories of her husband tied up with it. The others on board have been there for her to help her sail it up to now so who am I to judge how everyone handled it?

Maybe I AM an arrogant know-it-all male chauvanist bastard...?

And when you feel confident around boats it is easy to forget that others may love boats also, but not share the confidence of taking the boat out on their own. So I defer to anyone who helps her get the boat out on the water. (Though not if they are jeopardising her safety, or the safety of others.)

What a mess.

Matt
Old 02-01-2014, 17:39   #30

Quote:
I'm flexible and when needed can modify my language to "the thingie on your right"

We call thingies most by their "correct" name, but aren't the boat language police about it. BTW - both my wife and myself are ex-Navy, maybe pleasure sailboaters need to lighten up

Oh... right... THAT thingie. Why didn't you say so the first time?

Seriously though, I don't think it is overly precious to worry about the terminology, if it lends clarity to the situation. I don't advocate earbashing the newbie to the point they are cross-eyed, but it can be exhilarating when working with a crewmember on some complex manouver and you are able to plan and execute the actions through a common and clear language in seconds. And I am not a racer, just a pleasure cruiser.

Since many different people come sailing with us, the common language makes it so much easier, as many of those people sail on many other boats too.

I feel nautical terminology is a sort of practical Esperanto allowing you to travel from boat to boat (think country to country) knowing you will be understood wherever you go.

Matt