Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 00:32   #1

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Engine Bolted Straight to the Steel Hull ! Engine Name ? Windlass Name ?

Ahoy, I have nearly bought a 40' steel ganley. The Ford lees, 4 cylinder diesel is bolted straight onto the steel hull, without engine mounts. Is this usual for a steel hull, will it cause any problems or is it better this way?
Any idea of the model and HP of this engine?
What gearbox do they normally have?
Any idea of the age and type of anchor windlass, how many watts?
what do you think of the hull insides?

Thanks from Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engin-front.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	22488   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine-top.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	22489  

Name:	engine-sb.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	22490   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine-bb.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	22491  

Name:	23122010125.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	22492   Click image for larger version

Name:	23122010128.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	22493  

Name:	23122010142.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	22494  
Old 03-01-2011, 02:25   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Keith, looks like the same engine we had in a previous boat, called Ford Dover or the earlier version Ford Dorset in the UK. I think it had the numbers 2722.

Ours was bolted directly to the hull. No really problem except when it was cold it would shake the whole boat if it was below tick over revs. Once warmed up it was fine.

Ours had been taken out to 200 hp from the original Ford 80 hp, so would use 35 litres per hour but that's with a big turbo and max revs. Engine used in a lot of Ford tractors so spares cheap and easy to find. Its now an old design, which means it can be fixed by any good mechanic anywhere in the world as its purely mechanical. Indeed we came home 15 miles with a burst fuel injection pipe. Engine didn't like it and we only had half the power available, but we got home.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pacific Engine.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	22496  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:06   #3

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Thanks Pete, this one is 80HP, apparently, a four cylinder, done 2600 hours. Good to know that it is a relaible design and that the lack of flexible engine mounts is not an insurmaountable problem?
Keith.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:10   #4

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
It is steel to steel, so I don't think galvanic corrosion is a problem. May give better grounding.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 14:03   #5

Boat: Norseman 447
all good as long as alignments correct or flexible shaft coupling used, any vibrations will be transferred straight to Hull, looks like a Ganley Pacemaker, great design
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 14:11   #6

G,day Keith,
Installation looks looks neat enough although access looks tight in some places but thats boats & machinery.Its a 2712e marketed as 80hp fitted with a minimax fuel pump mechanical govenor type, check lube oil condition. Possibly a sabre marine conversion most of these have Borg Warner Velvet drive gearboxes good reliable units easy to get parts for. Parts are easy to come by for the 2712e in WA many used in Ag areas. Solid mounting is the norm in the fishing etc,alignment is a lot more critical than flex mounts. Can not put a name on the winch but looks like a pomie unit that was about 20 years ago--- say 1500--1800w ?

Cheers, Shakey.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 16:57   #7

Thanks Shakey doug! So they have marinised it by mounting a salt water pump on a take off below the fuel injector pump? Is that what we can see in the pic with the guy's knee in the pic? The velvet drive is a good auotmatic type gearbox, I had a technodrive on my Nanni on the last boat? does it use ATF, red fluid like the autos in cars?
I see it has a second 90amp alternator mounted on the hull below the motor. This would not be possible with flexible mounts!
The boat is in asia.
These are pics of an exchange engine in the UK and the latest velvet drive.
http://www.velvetdrive.com/LHP72productnews.html
Thanks fro Keith.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ford 2712e.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	22510   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor lhs.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	22512  

Old 03-01-2011, 17:07   #8

Boat: Farr 46
The winch is a Nilsson, pre Maxwell vintage, probably around 1000W . Grant Nilsson in NZ (www.jamesnilsson.com) would provide any details you require
Marinheiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 17:23   #9

Thanks very much Marinehero, it is a NZ made boat. Are winches of this type and age still reliable? What age do you reckon it is. It is pulling 75m of 10mm chain and a 25 Kg plough anchor.
cheers from Keith.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23122010124.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	22516   Click image for larger version

Name:	23122010126.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	22517  

Name:	23122010127.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	22518   Click image for larger version

Name:	lwinch1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	22519  

Old 03-01-2011, 17:57   #10

Here is the anchor windlass details.
It is a Nilsson, 12V, discontinued in 1982/83, it is a H700.
http://www.jamesnilsson.com/files/Ni...20H700%20E.PDF
No power down, just free fall, so you have to be at the bow when dropping anchow, hard when single handing.
Keith.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	anchor locker.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	22520  
Old 04-01-2011, 03:57   #11

Yes, that is a jabsco circ pump similair to a johnson as fitted to a Nanni. The techno drive is a cone type clutch box where as the BW has a disc plate setup, Dexron 2 ATF oil is mainly used in the BW all though engine oil can be used when the input speed is less than 3000rpm.

Cheers, Shakey.
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:10   #12

Hi Keith, the Nilssons of that era were very well built and pretty much bullet proof. I had the same winch on a launch I had in Perth with a 15kg anchor and 10mm chain. My current yacht has a Nilsson 3000 series capstan (mid 80's) and when I had the gearbox opened up for regreasing the gears were in as new condition. Talking to Grant Nilsson he says this is their typical experience
The only issue with the H models, which I can also see in your photo, is surface corossion of the aluminium casing. It may be worth contacting Grant to see if it is appropriate to open the winch up and change the oil. You should certainly be stripping the external components and lubricating and regreasing, especially the clutch, per the manual. Also remember at anchor not to let the winch take the anchoring loads, use a snubber or at least loop chain over the bollard.
That Ford you have is a good motor, give it a hard run from time to time as it probably has not had to work too hard given you are rather over powered.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:18   #13

Thank you both very much for your kind advice and pointing me in the right direction. I will let you know what develops! At present, it is a toss up between the 1987 steel, Ganley 40' pacemaker for 90Kaud in asia, or a 1983 French 35' steel sloop in Langkawi for 50K aud, owner built, but a nice fit out. What do you reckon?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oceandrifter_steel-59.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	22530   Click image for larger version

Name:	ship.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	22531  

Old 04-01-2011, 16:15   #14

Hi Keith, both very competitively priced yachts assuming they are in good condition. I have always liked the Ganley Pacemaker design, perhaps not the fastest yacht for its size but will look after you in ugly weather, I liked the standard layout with 2 private cabins and a good size head compartment close to the cockpit. About the only minus for me is the lack of a stern step, altho this could be added.
Key point with any steel yacht is the paint system and remember they rust from the inside out, so have a really good look around inside with a torch and a mirror. I don't know how easy it is getting a good surveyor in the Asian locations, it might be worth while considering bringing some one up from Australia or NZ.
I guess the final decision, apart from the monetary aspect will come down to what you want to use the yacht for. Offshore cruising - it would be the Ganley for me, cruising the WA coast, something a bit lighter would be worth thinking about
Old 04-01-2011, 17:01   #15

Ahoy Marinehero, the yacht is in a location where I can only check the hull by drying it out on the mud at low tide using bamboo support poles, no real surveyors there iether! It has a sugar scoop stern with climbing bars welded in and a gap in the pushpit to board.

I will use the yacht as a live aboard in the Banyak Islands and Mentawis, off of the NW coast of Sumatra, as an exploration boat. Not returning to WA in the near future. One that can nudge the odd coral reef without knocking the keel off. Lots of motor sailing and plenty of tropical squalls, "sumatrans", deep anchoring in coral, so I will need a strong anchor windlass, looking at renewing the nillson with a hydraulic muir cheeta? Pics are over 9 months old, motor pics recent.

It would be based in Langkawi and also cruise the andaman sea, maybe further blue water cruises as I become a better sailer?

The pics of the bilges look very clean and dry, the aft lazurettes may be a different story?

They are asking 100K usd, will accept 90K aud, I am told, the HF and gps/plotter have been removed and it has been sitting at a swing mooring for 9 months, unloved, no current permits, a few local admin problems! Has a new zodiac alloy bottom rib with sunbrella covers. Refurbished floors, upholstery, plumbing and wiring 2 years ago! So I am told, I realise thay have a good name but it is twice the french boat price!
Pippen Marine

Cheers from Keith.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	port view under sail edit.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	22544   Click image for larger version

Name:	starboard side at wharf edit.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	22545