Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 16:44   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Draining coolant from volvo 2003

I am about due to replace the coolant in my volvo 2003. But damned if I can work out how to drain it. Anyone have any insight into how one is supposed to do this? Any other tips also appreciated.

Thanks.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 17:54   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Look on the right hand side (starboard) rear of the block. You'll see a drain valve. To keep the heat exchanger clear on these engines, you need to change the coolant on regular intervals.

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 18:02   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
On my VW (Pathfinder) I put a kitty litter pan under the fresh water pump and just pull the coolant hose off the pump. Once it's all out I pump a little air into the fill cap and it seems to force out the remaining fluid.

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 21:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L
Look on the right hand side (starboard) rear of the block. You'll see a drain valve. To keep the heat exchanger clear on these engines, you need to change the coolant on regular intervals.

Paul L
Thaks for the info... I will have a look. What do you mean by "keep the heat exchanger clear"?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14   #5

The coolant you use in the engine is an anti-freeze. It also contains anti-corrosive properties. The heat exchanger on the 200x is a bunch of small tubes that can get junked up with corrosion. The coolant's anti-freeze capability will last for years. Its anti-corrosion capability does not last near as long. So changing the coolant on a regular basis is a good thing. Mine hadn't been done for a long time when I bought the boat and I needed to run a radiator cleaner through the system to get full flow.

Paul L
Old 23-08-2007, 17:39   #6

I had a look for the elusive drain valve the other day, but couldn't find anything obvious. Any further clues appreciated... otherwise I'm just gonna find the lowest level hose I can find and disconnect it!

So, is it ok to just use a commercial automobile radiator cleaner to clean up the heat exchanger? I ask because, as far as I know, the coolant in my engine has been there for nearly 2 years.

Again, thanks all for your advice.
Old 23-08-2007, 20:00   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Weyalan,

I just did mine today (Volvo 2020 B). There's a petcock about halfway down the block on the starboard side, just above the oil filter. It's painted green like everything else.

I dumped the coolant into the bilge and sucked it back out with a wet/dry vacuum.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2007, 08:42   #8

You aren't looking close enough. Go to the starboard side of the engine. Look to the rear 1/3, above the oil pan, there is a pit cock like device that sticks out. It is bronze and needs wrench to open it. It is probably painted green. You can slip a tuibe over the end of it to catch the coolant. It reallly is there.

Paul L

Tags
coolant, volvo