Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2014, 22:06   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Debug device made in NZ

Hi, has enyone here encountered the NZ made debug device.
My boat came to me with two of these units and so far they have caused blockages in themselves and the fuel line between them and the tank on three ocasions. The only way to clean them is total disassembly of the unit and the fuel line and poke/prod with a stiff wire to remove the black coffee grounds like material which is still in the tank after several attempts to filter the contents.
I have tried to contact the manufacturer with no success, emails to the site on thier webpage are just ignored.
A mechanic has suggested that the device is just bull ****, best removed and carefully placed in the dumpster.
Thaught I would ask if anyone here had encountered these devices and any opinions regarding them would be appreciated.
Cheers.
__________________

__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 18:30   #2
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Re: Debug device made in NZ

Anyone with experience or opinions on this product ??
__________________

__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 18:37   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Debug device made in NZ

Well, you are not very specific with your description of the device. If you mean one of those magnetic things like Algae-X, then they are pure BS. If you are talking about a fuel polisher with a filter, then these have value.

Whatever it is, it is not your problem - dirty fuel and/or tank is your problem.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 19:22   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Re: Debug device made in NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Well, you are not very specific with your description of the device. If you mean one of those magnetic things like Algae-X, then they are pure BS. If you are talking about a fuel polisher with a filter, then these have value.

Whatever it is, it is not your problem - dirty fuel and/or tank is your problem.

Mark
Sadly Mark dirty fuel is the problem. The tanks are large integral glassfibre tanks with minimal access.
At some stage a previous owner hed these magnetic De-Bug devices fitted apparently to address this problem.
Now all they do is trap any crap in them and the fuel line back to the tank blocking it completely, not allowing anything to make it to the installed raycor filter.
The contents of the tanks have been pumped through a water separator/sediment bowl at high volume a number of times on a number of occasions.
I can only see that the removal of these units and replace them with a sediment bowl is the most practical solution.
Anyone have another view/suggestion ?
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 20:34   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Debug device made in NZ

They are useless, so getting rid of them is a good idea.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 21:09   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
DeepFrz's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Boat: None at this time
Posts: 7,930
Re: Debug device made in NZ

It will really pay you dividends to cut access holes in each of the tank segments, drain the fuel and scrub the tank. Also clean out all the fuel lines. Filter the fuel back into the tank and you should be good to go.
__________________
The Blue Dot Campaign. This Changes Everything.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 21:11   #7
Registered User
 
Delfin's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Boat: 55' Romsdal
Posts: 1,390
Re: Debug device made in NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Sadly Mark dirty fuel is the problem. The tanks are large integral glassfibre tanks with minimal access.
At some stage a previous owner hed these magnetic De-Bug devices fitted apparently to address this problem.
Now all they do is trap any crap in them and the fuel line back to the tank blocking it completely, not allowing anything to make it to the installed raycor filter.
The contents of the tanks have been pumped through a water separator/sediment bowl at high volume a number of times on a number of occasions.
I can only see that the removal of these units and replace them with a sediment bowl is the most practical solution.
Anyone have another view/suggestion ?
The separation between the magnets on the Debug is pretty significant, so if you are trapping crud between the magnets then you have a pretty major contamination problem. Removing these units are not going to help at all. I've cleaned up a bacteria problem on a sailboat with a similar unit and while there are certainly those who think them useless, my experience is different.

Clean the tanks and ignore the Debug units.
__________________
http://delfin.talkspot.com
When stupidity is a sufficient explanation, there is no need to appeal to another cause.
- Ulmann's Razor
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 21:20   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Montegut LA.
Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Posts: 3,421
Re: Debug device made in NZ

If ya mount a Groco sea water filter before the de-bug unit, and have a fine stainless steel filter in that! Ya have a super great fuel filtering system!! Takes out all the real big stuff first then the small stuff in the de-bug ! worked for us !! And I mean real well and we had some fouled tanks !! Real bad fouled !!
__________________
Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 21:26   #9
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Re: Debug device made in NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
The separation between the magnets on the Debug is pretty significant, so if you are trapping crud between the magnets then you have a pretty major contamination problem. Removing these units are not going to help at all. I've cleaned up a bacteria problem on a sailboat with a similar unit and while there are certainly those who think them useless, my experience is different.

Clean the tanks and ignore the Debug units.
Thanks for your experience.
The crud particles are not that large, about the size and colour of used coffee grounds.
The unit seems to trap them on the exit port and they slowly back up through the unit filling it.
The fuel is dosed with with an additive to kill diesel bug/algae and I am definately getting less each time I filter.
I realise that providing good access to each tank and cleaning/scrubbing is the best option, it is a major task requireing deconstructing the quarterberth, surgery on the tank and then reconstruction. I have been hoping thatthere may be a less invasive way.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 21:34   #10
mcm
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 92
Re: Debug device made in NZ

What you are probably seeing are "asphaltenes" part of the diesel fuel , continuous filtration and polishing will eventually eliminate, except that which has solidified in the bottom of the tank.
__________________
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 21:49   #11
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Re: Debug device made in NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
If ya mount a Groco sea water filter before the de-bug unit, and have a fine stainless steel filter in that! Ya have a super great fuel filtering system!! Takes out all the real big stuff first then the small stuff in the de-bug ! worked for us !! And I mean real well and we had some fouled tanks !! Real bad fouled !!
Thanks for that, I hadn't considered that and elegantly simple too.

This is what I love about this site, a great diversity of ideas and experience.
__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 21:52   #12
Registered User

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sydney Australia
Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Posts: 750
Re: Debug device made in NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm View Post
What you are probably seeing are "asphaltenes" part of the diesel fuel , continuous filtration and polishing will eventually eliminate, except that which has solidified in the bottom of the tank.
I do hope you are right, it is mainly presenting after a rough journey offshore.
__________________

__________________
Rob aka Uncle Bob Sydney Australia.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VS 2012 RElease crashes, Debug works Choon OpenCPN 3 08-05-2013 19:19
DeBug vs Algae X Windjammr Spirt Engines and Propulsion Systems 8 01-01-2013 04:46
I Want to Debug OpenCPN in My PC aqf OpenCPN 1 03-05-2011 08:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.