Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2016, 13:34   #1

BUKH DV20 timing gear alignment help needed

Greetings,

this is my first post here, so be gentle. I just came back from a vacation visiting my uncle in Germany. He is helping my cousin rebuild a BUKH DV20. So it turns out he didn't make any notes regarding crank and camshaft alignment when he took the engine apart, and now he's stuck because the BUKH service manual is a bit vague regarding that topic.

The manual states that "the camshaft is driven via a gear-wheel from the crank shaft. The correct position of the camshaft must be between 0.2 - 0.5 mm for DV20" It does not say how to align the camshaft. In the re-assembly section it states "The mounting takes place in reverse order while carefully observing the marking of the gear-wheels of the crank shaft and camshaft."

So does this mean there is only one way the camshaft would fit if the crank gears are properly aligned, or is there some marking or alignment they're not mentioning? This is the part that is holding up the works.

So does anyone know what the proper alignment of the cam shaft is once the crankshaft gears are in the correct position? Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
randy2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 00:24   #2

Re: BUKH DV20 timing gear alignment help needed

Pictures of the gears in their correct position with the cam gear synced would be great. My uncle is saying that there are gears on each side of the cam shaft? One gear the meshes with the three large crank gears and one on the other side. Am I understanding him correctly? If so, is there possibly an alignment mark on the side opposite the crank gears?
Old 14-11-2016, 03:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, randy.

http://www.boatservicehaarlem.nl/buk...hop_manual.pdf

https://pligg.com/downloads/27820687...ir-manual-pdf/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 04:07   #4

Hi GM,

The first Pdf I already have, the second I don't. There is no preview of the contents. Do you know if it covers more than the PDF I already have? Do you by chance have it? I don't mind at all paying for it, I just want to make sure I don't buy a virtual copy of the work shop manual.

If you don't, that's fine, I'll just take my chances.

Thank you.
Old 14-11-2016, 04:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy2575 View Post
... If you don't, that's fine, I'll just take my chances.
Sorry, I don't know; but I very much doubt that it's any different.

Old 14-11-2016, 04:34   #6

I'll get it. Usually Factory manuals are more in depth, so let's hope this is the case. I'll let you know.
Old 14-11-2016, 04:56   #7

Although they specifically say it's the "Factory" service manual, it is not; it is the "Workshop" manual, the same as the free online one.
Old 14-11-2016, 05:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Factory PARTS Manual ➥ http://bukh.dk/upload_dir/docs/FAQ/B...10-20%20ME.pdf

Old 14-11-2016, 11:03   #9

as it says in the workshop manuel there is markings om the two gears (crankshaft-camshaft) that is normaly so. these have to lign up, if for some reason they are missing. then use the discription on page M5 and everything will be fine.
soerencarlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 23:03   #10

GM,

I immediately contacted the seller of the "Factory manual" and informed him that what I received was the "workshop" manual and not the "Factory" manual. I also informed Paypal of this and promptly got a refund. Just so tired of scams that involve amounts most people would not quibble about and would just let slide.
Old 15-11-2016, 00:28   #11

Pictures of the gears in their correct position with the cam gear synced would be great. My uncle is saying that there are gears on each side of the cam shaft? One gear the meshes with the three large crank gears and one on the other side. Am I understanding him correctly? If so, is there possibly an alignment mark on the side opposite the crank gears?

The gears that mentioned here are balance wheels/shaft they have nothing to do with timing gears but are importent also as to keep the vibration down.
The book you got is the correct one in my opinium. I would assume a factory and a workshop manuel would be the same. And a parts manuel is for ordering spareparts.
Alignments marks are usually one punchmark on one gear and two punchmarks on the oppeside gear. so when the gears are put together you are looking at 3 punch marks inline
soerencarlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 04:46   #12

From my understanding the gear from the camshaft meshes with these three gears, and as such would be critical in having everything line up, no? If there were punch marks on one gear with corresponding marks for the camshaft gear, life would be simple, but there are not and it is not, lol. So far, I believe the earlier suggestion to dial in the camshaft gear using piston TDC is the only way to go. Was hoping there would be an easier way. Thank you though.

Tags
bukh, gear, men